Football 4-3 International break is finally over!

baxus

Isk said:

That's still a big improvement for Markovic on his Liverpool form.  I still can't believe we wouldn't keep him for EL games.  We bought him because of his EL performances.

His loan to Fenerbahce is not a surprising move.

I'm sure he'd get to play his fair share of matches for Liverpool this season, but he's still young enough to greatly benefit and improve from one season of regular football.

Turkish league is not at the level of the Premiership, but there are some great teams there and he will be playing in European competitions which would be great.

Hopefully, Markovic gets a great season and plays regularly for Liverpool next season.

MisterOJ said:

With games starting next week, is the general thought across the pond that Liverpool will try and do well and win the thing, or just try and bomb out as quickly as possible?

It depends a lot on whether Liverpool gets in the position to get into top 4 in the league or not.

If they do, I'm quite certain they would drop Europa league, but if not then they'll do their best to win it and qualify for the Champions' League that way.

To be honest, I'd love to see Liverpool win Europa League.

It's no Champions' League but it's still a European trophy.

It would get Liverpool that much wanted Champions' League spot for next year, it would boost players' moral, it would bring in some money to the club...

There really is no downside to it.

But winning it is going to be far from easy, with Spanish, Italian and Portuguese clubs taking it much more seriously than English clubs.

With CL qualification as the prize for the Europa, and the Premier League looking pretty tough, it makes some sense for a team in Liverpool's position to target that as a possible route to the CL. Particularly as it may offer direct entry to the group stage.

With CL qualification as the prize for the Europa, and the Premier League looking pretty tough, it makes some sense for a team in Liverpool's position to target that as a possible route to the CL. Particularly as it may offer direct entry to the group stage.

Yeah I actually think Liverpool are probably the 2nd or 3rd best team in Europa league on paper and have just as much as chance (not that great) of winning that than getting top four. Would be such a stupid mistake to not take it seriously. Not that I have any confidence at all in Rodgers in Europe

Yeah I actually think Liverpool are probably the 2nd or 3rd best team in Europa league on paper and have just as much as chance (not that great) of winning that than getting top four. Would be such a stupid mistake to not take it seriously. Not that I have any confidence at all in Rodgers in Europe

Not that you should have confidence in any English team in Europe. PL teams record in european competitions in last years is pretty abysmal. So Liverpool might have 2nd best EL team on paper, but they will still lose to some continental competitor they should on paper beat easily. :)

Hmm, Napoli and Dortmund are obviously better. Liverpool should have a better team than Fiorentina but I think the latter is more likely to perform
Edit: But Sevilla will probably win after dropping for CL

Not that you should have confidence in any English team in Europe. PL teams record in european competitions in last years is pretty abysmal. So Liverpool might have 2nd best EL team on paper, but they will still lose to some continental competitor they should on paper beat easily. :)

When you say 'in last years', you really mean 'last year', right? 

Someone sent me this, apparently from the Daily Mail today:

The 10 best paid players in the PL:

1. Wayne Rooney (Man Utd) £260,000-a-week

2. Sergio Aguero (Man City) £240k

3. Yaya Toure (Man City) £240k

4. Eden Hazard (Chelsea) £220k

5. David Silva (Man City) £200k

6. Mesut Ozil (Arsenal) £190k

7. Raheem Sterling (Man City) £180k

8. Cesc Fabregas (Chelsea) £170k

9. Kevin De Bruyne (Man City) £170k

10. John Terry (Chelsea) £160k

Liverpool have only two players (Sturridge and Benteke*) above £100k and neither are close to this list.  City's top five earners make £55 million a year.  The league average per player is now £44k per week.

Wages are a much clearer predictor of success than transfer fees, unfortunately for Liverpool.  And David Silva is due a pay rise.

Edit to add:   *That overlooks Milner.  I'm pretty sure he is our best paid player.  I will shoot my source.

Are we still talking about Europa league? The competition English clubs won once in last decade and twice since the end of Cold War?

You're the one who specifically changed the subject to 'Europe in general', so why are you being all snarky-snide now when we, you know, respond to you?

Very big weekend looming.

United vs Liverpool, Everton vs Chelsea, Crystal Palace vs City. Packed.

The week after that I will be attending Spurs vs Crystal Palace, looking forward to that.

Also in Spain, Atletico's very strong new squad plays at home against Barca.

Someone sent me this, apparently from the Daily Mail today:

The 10 best paid players in the PL:

1. Wayne Rooney (Man Utd) £260,000-a-week

2. Sergio Aguero (Man City) £240k

3. Yaya Toure (Man City) £240k

4. Eden Hazard (Chelsea) £220k

5. David Silva (Man City) £200k

6. Mesut Ozil (Arsenal) £190k

7. Raheem Sterling (Man City) £180k

8. Cesc Fabregas (Chelsea) £170k

9. Kevin De Bruyne (Man City) £170k

10. John Terry (Chelsea) £160k

Liverpool have only two players (Sturridge and Benteke*) above £100k and neither are close to this list.  City's top five earners make £55 million a year.  The league average per player is now £44k per week.

Wages are a much clearer predictor of success than transfer fees, unfortunately for Liverpool.  And David Silva is due a pay rise.

Edit to add:   *That overlooks Milner.  I'm pretty sure he is our best paid player.  I will shoot my source.

Oof. Sure pays to be a billionaire's plaything.

Archived