Dawn, Dayne, defeated by Ned and Howland? Possible explanation

Love Is A Sweet Poison

This thought was inspired by the podcast of james johnson on youtube.  

How could Dayne be defeated by ned and howland?  I'm sure they were average fighters even above average.  Dayne will be remembered historically as a great fighter.

So how could he have lost?  Perhaps when Jon Snow was born, Dawn (being lightbringer), turned "on" or "ignited" in a way that during battle, Dayne lost his grip due to the sudden infusion of light and heat from the sword.

It seems more plausible then ned got lucky and howland was there.  Perhaps the sword of the morning was distracted and the disadvantage of the sword turning on in that brief moment of the birth of jon snow, caused him to lose the battle.

Thoughts please?

Howland Reed probably just distracted Dayne whilst Ned finished him off, I don't think it's anything magical, don't think that's necessary in this situation. 

Or he used poisoned weapons like his people often do.

could poison work that quick?  i don't doubt it but i would think it would take some time.

yes 3 v 7, but these were no ordinary 3.  the white bull?  alone he could take on 3, while the other had 2. 

its like 3 members of the dream team play 7 college basketball players...and remember, neds 3 were all youngin's, not nearly the fighting experience these unordinary 3 had.

could poison work that quick?  i don't doubt it but i would think it would take some time.

yes 3 v 7, but these were no ordinary 3.  the white bull?  alone he could take on 3, while the other had 2. 

its like 3 members of the dream team play 7 college basketball players...and remember, neds 3 were all youngin's, not nearly the fighting experience these unordinary 3 had.

The White Bull was never Dayne's equal as far as we can tell and he was old so there's no way he could take three. Perhaps in his prime. On the poison: Howland could have shot them full of poison arrows the second the fight begins. Even if the poison doesn't do the trick, having arrows in you is a disadvantage to anyone. Or he could just throw a big net above Dayne while he's facing Ned.

And Ned's party weren't stable boys, either.

its like 3 members of the dream team play 7 college basketball players...

But there is no referee to prohibit foul play. Actually, there is no such thing as foul play, it would be perfectly acceptable to shove a knife in your opponent's kidney to take the ball away from him. Still betting on the badly outnumbered team?

and remember, neds 3 were all youngin's, not nearly the fighting experience these unordinary 3 had.

All of them? Theo Wull? Martyn Cassel?

For me, "there were seven versus three, and the seven won... barely" works, with no need for further explanation.

The White Bull was old.

Anyway, it's more like 3 members of the dream team play 7 average NBA basketball players. Furthermore, those guys had been fighting a war for more than a year, they got experienced real quick.

Right question is why they're fighting at all? I doubt that KGs was thinking that Ned will harm his sister and her child. Ned is best men to protect Lyanna and her child. Beside of that why don't let men to see his dying sister? After all they are honorable men, especially Arthur Dayne.

Right question is why they're fighting at all? I doubt that KGs was thinking that Ned will harm his sister and her child. Ned is best men to protect Lyanna and her child. Beside of that why don't let men to see his dying sister? After all they are honorable men, especially Arthur Dayne.

Because the KG would die (and risk Jon dying himself) to place him upon the IT.

Because the KG would die (and risk Jon dying himself) to place him upon the IT.

KGs should protect king and those of royal blood not put them on IT, first vow of KG is protect king and Lyanna child is not heir it's Viserys. They don't have any chance to put anyone on IT. If they kill Ned and his companions they would be hunted down and killed soon after and they are not stupid they known that. Even if they escape with child there is no possible way to put him on IT, even if they houses give them support they will not have any chance.

KGs should protect king and those of royal blood not put them on IT, first vow of KG is protect king and Lyanna child is not heir it's Viserys. They don't have any chance to put anyone on IT. If they kill Ned and his companions they would be hunted down and killed soon after and they are not stupid they known that. Even if they escape with child there is no possible way to put him on IT, even if they houses give them support they will not have any chance.

Nope, Rhaegar's children precede Viserys. Anyway, the KG may not be stupid, but they are so gung-ho about their oaths that they would try anyway.

Got to kill them before they would stop - which Ned and his friends did.

first vow of KG is protect king...

ah...so many vows...how to hold to them all.  they are still people...

for the original question, I would highly doubt it was any special magic, more likely what someone else said - Howland used his net to ensnare Dayne somehow or was able to sneak around him and attack him in surprise.

Archived