Stannis Baratheon - Lord Commander of the Nights Watch

The Baelish Mockingbird

I don't know if this theory has been flying around lately but I'm just wondering what is happening with Stannis after the events of the last episode. Logic say's that Stannis is most likely dead. However, one theory which runs around in my head is that Stannis is alive and well and will go on as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

Now we all know the ordeal which Brienne was put in just after Stannis told her to do her duty and we all know the theory that this means her duty is to recover Sansa Stark and to do this she needs the help of Stannis Baratheon. If that was true then depending on what happens, Brienne would most likely put Stannis on trial for Renly's death as it would be the right thing to do. Stannis, being an honest person, would tell the truth and possibly be sent to the wall to serve the Night's Watch. I would hope if that if this is the case the Watch would look upon his history as a leader and vote for him to become the new Lord Commander. Not only would he be able to redeem his recent actions this way, but he would be able to use his talents to serve the realm.

Now as I said, I'm not sure if this theory has been going around (I don't check this site much) but if the theory of Brienne sparing Stannis is true, this is how I hope it would pan out.

I don't know if this theory has been flying around lately but I'm just wondering what is happening with Stannis after the events of the last episode. Logic say's that Stannis is most likely dead. However, one theory which runs around in my head is that Stannis is alive and well and will go on as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

Now we all know the ordeal which Brienne was put in just after Stannis told her to do her duty and we all know the theory that this means her duty is to recover Sansa Stark and to do this she needs the help of Stannis Baratheon. If that was true then depending on what happens, Brienne would most likely put Stannis on trial for Renly's death as it would be the right thing to do. Stannis, being an honest person, would tell the truth and possibly be sent to the wall to serve the Night's Watch. I would hope if that if this is the case the Watch would look upon his history as a leader and vote for him to become the new Lord Commander. Not only would he be able to redeem his recent actions this way, but he would be able to use his talents to serve the realm.

Now as I said, I'm not sure if this theory has been going around (I don't check this site much) but if the theory of Brienne sparing Stannis is true, this is how I hope it would pan out.

Just assume he is dead until somebody spots stephen dillane. I haven't found him, gwen, or poddrick on set yet myself- but Idk if they aren't just filming with sopie turner who was spotted once or twice last year on set and hasn't been seen since august. If he is alive I would be shocked.

Stannis dying wouldn't be that huge. 

Him dying the way they did it would be the worst thing ever. 

Brienne didn't find her villain, she found a beaten man accepting his fate, not twirling his mustache and reveling in the shadow murder of Renly.

He also reminded her of her "Duty" which is currently to save the Stark girls, you know, the only oath she took that she can still keep. If she actually killed him, I'd find it out of character for her, despite how much she's said she'd kill him.

nah stannis will never relent in his pursuit of the throne. By the end of the series he will either be king or dead. Lots of people want stannis and Jon Snow to trade places but I don't see it happening. Jon will remain with the watch and stannis will press his claim on the throne. But I also see stannis and Jon remaining allies until the end of the series or the death of either.

AS for whether he's dead or not on the show. The only reason that makes me question his survival is the large number of new characters being introduced next season, but there were lots of deaths too last season so that doesn't necessarily mean he's dead, stannis will probably have less screen time than last season and his scenes will probably be with other characters for the most part (Umbers and northern lords). But I still put stannis' survival at 90% at this point. Everything was setup too conveniently for a false death with him for D&D to have killed him off. go listen to the music playing right when brienne is preparing to strike him, classic suspense music, compared to all the other major deaths which had music that was softer and sadder (even jeoffry). I think D&D played stannis's story out like this last season so they can do a melisandre-less stannis next season and they think having stannis make a moral shift would be more dramatic.

If Stannis really is dead, I'll be disappointed that Dillane didn't get to have his swan song at Comic Con, or in an interview. Stannis was such a major character, is huge in the books, and he never got much credit on the show.

I haven't found an exit interview which is strange but dillane isn't one to talk. He easily was the best actor last season. I started watching the bridge because of him

I don't really see how Stannis can help Brienne. His army was routed and he is a broken man. How I would love for him to walk the walls of Winterfell overlooking Bolton heads on spikes, but how? The only scenario I see is Brienne somehow letting Stannis live and they come upon Sansa and Theon after they jumped. But what then?

I don't really see how Stannis can help Brienne. His army was routed and he is a broken man. How I would love for him to walk the walls of Winterfell overlooking Bolton heads on spikes, but how? The only scenario I see is Brienne somehow letting Stannis live and they come upon Sansa and Theon after they jumped. But what then?

She has Stannis tied up like Jamie, they come across Sansa and Theon. Theon puts on a pathetic defensive stance and Sansa recognizes Brienne from the inn. They exchange stories and Stannis says he promised Jon Snow that Winterfell would be cleansed of Bolton scum. 

Stannis is the most capable commander in the 7 Kingdoms. He could be the Jon Arynn to Jon's new rebellion. He smashed the Greyjoy fleet once. He can do it again...well not really because the show has cut Wyman Manderly and if he does appear, there would be no mention of the fleet he has hidden. 

• 1 month later...

While it's possible he could come back, it seems like last season was set up for his ultimate failure and death. For him to not be dead at this point would denigrate his character even further. I mean how many times does he have to fail and come back again, after a while it becomes tedious

If Brienne does her duty..........what was her duty at that time? Protect Sansa...... who was trying to take out the Boltons and who would have made Sansa safe and wardeness ...Stannis......now obviously I am a fan and you hate him , but not impossible

He still has leverage. Maybe possible wildlings. Still someone the iron bank did loan.........can again. She is smart enough to know she is safer with the Boltons gone...........hopefully

• 2 weeks later...

If Brienne does her duty..........what was her duty at that time? Protect Sansa...... who was trying to take out the Boltons and who would have made Sansa safe and wardeness ...Stannis......now obviously I am a fan and you hate him , but not impossible

I don't hate Stannis at all, I actually love reading his chapters and seeing him on screen.  I just don't think hes a hero on any level, and has an ego the size of Westeros.

Either way, I'm pretty certain his dead. Clearly Brienne came at him to do one thing, avenge Renly, Stannis doesn't know anything else about her. Its unlikely she's going to be changing her mind at that moment, seeing as how she basically loved Renly. 

I don't hate Stannis at all, I actually love reading his chapters and seeing him on screen.  I just don't think hes a hero on any level, and has an ego the size of Westeros.
Either way, I'm pretty certain his dead. Clearly Brienne came at him to do one thing, avenge Renly, Stannis doesn't know anything else about her. Its unlikely she's going to be changing her mind at that moment, seeing as how she basically loved Renly. 

You like Jon Snow though correct? Without Stannis, all of the Nights Watch members would have their heads sitting on spikes, with the wildlings flooding the north.

The King who Cared

I just read the books again and as I remembered Stannis does not feature that much at all. I enjoyed the Theon chapter in Book 6 but I think he is probably dead, just not such a big character really, more prominent in the shows actually.

None of the 5 kings were given POV's. But yea he picks up more in the later/recent novels

Archived