top generals in ASOIAF

Abdallah

So who are the top generals in the books? They could be good at leading troops, or have good strategy and tactics, or both. I have a few, Robert baratheon, stannis baratheon, Robb stark, barristan selmy, and even tyrion lannister. who do you guys think is worthy of being a top general?

Doran Martell. That way there will be no battles.

Truly noble thing to say; however did he not say he desired blood and fire?

Stannis Baratheon, he crushed the Iron Born at sea! How many commanders can boast beating the enemy in their own element? He routed a host of 100,000 with only 1,500-2,000 men (admittedly only a quart of those where probably fighters), and they had giants! Stannis also inspires fear and respect in his enemies just look at how many times the common man and the lords at Winterfell talk nervously about him; then all rush to the walls shouting 'Stannis! Stannis? Stannis has come to put us all to the sword.' when they here drums and horns from the forest.

Randyll Tarly, (Sam's daddy-dearest) leads Mace's flower army. Ned was supposed to be pretty good. Stannis is pretty high up on the list. I see Robert as more of a fighting king than a strategist. His waistline beat him handily in a war of attrition. As far as the Dornish lords go, Yronwood is supposed to be their best commander from what I remember. Addam Marbrand and the Blackfish get honorable mentions. I'm sure some of the Vale Lords are appropriately badass generals as well.

I'd vote Tarly or the Mannis. Toss-up for me.

1. The Blackfish: He is probably the most experience commander in Westeros, and understands war better than anyone else.
2. Stannis Baratheon: Everyone respects him as a commander, and he won the most impressive battle those far in the story.
3.Randyll Tarly: He won against Robert woth just his vanguard, and seems to be unbeaten in battle.
4.Ned Stark: He won lots of battles and was the commander that Robert trusted the most.
5. Robb Stark: He had a good stratigic and tactical mind and was taught by the best commanders ( The Blackfish and Ned).

There's a few who have quite good records and/or reputations: Eddard Stark, Robb Stark, Jon Snow, Jorah Mormont, Euron Greyjoy, Victarion Greyjoy, Tywin Lannister, Jaime Lannister, Addam Marbrand, Brynden Tully, Walder Rivers, Tytos Blackwood, Daenerys Targaryen, Stannis Baratheon, Barristan Selmy, Jon Connington, Randyll Tarly etc. There are quite many, but it's hard to compare them, since they are skilled in various areas and faced with different situations. Stannis Baratheon might be the best in the series though.

Robb Stark was a good commander, if not politician, Randyll Tarly was the only man to beat Robert Baratheon on the field (although admittedly Robert was quite isolated at the time) and has a generally "good" reputation. Robert himself was said to have been a brilliant commander although how much of that is true I do doubt, he seemed more of a warrior than commander. Finally there is Stannis Baratheon who apart from the battle of Blackwater Bay has a very good military history. These are probably the top commanders at the start of the book series. 

Randyll Tarly, (Sam's daddy-dearest) leads Mace's flower army. Ned was supposed to be pretty good. Stannis is pretty high up on the list. I see Robert as more of a fighting king than a strategist. His waistline beat him handily in a war of attrition. As far as the Dornish lords go, Yronwood is supposed to be their best commander from what I remember. Addam Marbrand and the Blackfish get honorable mentions. I'm sure some of the Vale Lords are appropriately badass generals as well.

I'd vote Tarly or the Mannis. Toss-up for me.

Well that doesn't really hold up seeing as Robert won 3 consecutive battles in a day with no other help from Ned, Jon, Hoster, Stannis, or anyone seeing as he left for Summerhall with none of them, Stannis said Robert won a 5:1 battle once, Ned says that Robert was in command at the Trident, and Robert took Pyke while he left people like Stannis to defeat the Iron Fleet at Fair Isle and Barristan to take Great Wyk and Jaime (most likely seeing as Catelyn declares him a seasoned commander in AGOT) to take some other Isle.

While he liked to fight in the frontlines, that doesn't mean that Robert didn't also actively command his troops and know strategy. The man was an all around idiot, but he knew the ins and outs of war. Just look at how he trapped Rhaegar at the Trident. A less savvy general would have attempted to cross the river to fight Rhaegar's approaching force. Instead Robert waited for Rhaegar to make that mistake and attempt to cross which made his greater forces become bottlenecked in the ford wherein Robert and his forces could easily descend upon them and even the score.

People who seem to achieve results:

Tywin (He is better with quills than with swords, I think. But both count for something)

Robb (Maybe due to good advisors, but he played a perfect cat and mouse game with Tywin for a while, with odds in his disfavor)

One might say that Robb is good where Tywin is weakest, and vice versa.

Randyll Tarly also seems to get things done.

People always regard Tarly as one of the best but in every single battle that we know of, he was always outnumbered the enemy.

I would definitely say Stannis is the best possible general we've seen. He uses his advantage very well and he has had some great victories on sea and land unlike that overrated piece of crap Tarly.

Quite a few threads on this

In my opinion-
Stannis wins for flexibility, naval and land achievements.
Robb is the master of surprise, very good cavalry commander
Robert
Ned
Jaime
Tywin
Randyll
Euron/Victarion

These are the top guys we see. After that you have the likes of Edmure.

As for secondary commanders you have Blackfish, Marbrand and Clegane as the top dogs

While I don't think he's the greatest general, Stannis is definitely the most versatile commander we've seen.

He's been on both sides of a siege, has fought in the open field, had shown to be a capable admiral and has launched no less than three amphibious assaults.

On the night before the battle that never was, between Stannis and Renly, Randyll tells Renly that their side will be fighting into the rising sun.  Renly doesn't listen to him.  Not only does this show that Randyll knew some tactics, it makes me believe that Renly did not.  Even without the shadow baby. he would have eventually marched his big host into a quagmire he couldn't get out of.

Archived