NZ flag nonsense

The Marquis de Leech

In order to distract from actual issues, our Prime Minister has announced a referendum (costing some $26 million) on changing the New Zealand flag.

Annoyingly, it's a two part referendum, with keeping the current flag not being an option in the first part (the first referendum is simply to find the best alternative via preferential voting, with the second determining whether it beats the current one).

Here are the four finalists, and frankly it looks like someone was trying to engineer a victory for one of the fern options: 

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/assignments/final-four-new-zealand-flags-which-is-your-favourite/12595802/The-fern-represents-us-and-should-be-on-our-flag

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the current one, but it's better than any of those four, and I resent this thing becoming a Prime Ministerial ego project. For that reason I'll be voting for the so-called hypnoflag in the first referendum, on the basis that it's least likely to beat the status quo.

What's the purpose of the red in the fourth flag?

Purely on aesthetics I like the first (upper left) option, but if the red quadrant in the lower right suggestion holds much/any meaning then it might serve as a better flag.

What's behind the huge desire to remove the Union Jack? Is the Queen not still the head of state? Not that that stopped Canada...

Really makes no sense to me that the vote on what the replacement would be is coming before the vote on whether to actually replace the current one. Seems to me it should be the other way around, and that way the second vote can just be cancelled if it fails.

That said,

All Glory to the Hypnotoad flag

Really makes no sense to me that the vote on what the replacement would be is coming before the vote on whether to actually replace the current one. Seems to me it should be the other way around, and that way the second vote can just be cancelled if it fails.

That said,

All Glory to the Hypnotoad flag

Indeed.

I like the current NZ flag.

(But I do see the points in the article in favor of the fern.)

What's the purpose of the red in the fourth flag?

Purely on aesthetics I like the first (upper left) option, but if the red quadrant in the lower right suggestion holds much/any meaning then it might serve as a better flag.

What's behind the huge desire to remove the Union Jack? Is the Queen not still the head of state? Not that that stopped Canada...

The red in the fourth flag is to create design symmetry with the red stars. It also coincidentally looks a lot like the logo of a plastic plate company: http://www.3news.co.nz/tvshows/newsworthy/what-to-do-if-you-hate-all-the-flags-2015090213#axzz3lKjlEPSG

The no more Union Jack thing is dressed up as (1) national pride (independence!) and (2) our current flag looks like Australia's. But really this is the PM wanting a legacy. We're talking about the guy who restored knighthoods after the previous government abolished them.

I prefer the newly proposed flags over the status quo. If nothing else, including a reference to the indigenous population of New Zealand in its flag is a positive (if entirely symbolic) step forward. And in case y'all think symbols are not powerful, I refer you to the debate from earlier this summer involving another flag...

Ban books but hey look a new flag!!!

I like New Zealand's existing flag.

I don't think the NZ (or Oz) flag, by itself is ugly, despite the constant reminder of its colonial past (the Union Jack). Unfortunately, a sizable amount of Aussies and Kiwis (and pretty much everyone else) can't tell the two flags apart.

I'm a fan of the new 5th option that is trying to gain status to be voted on as part of the referendum:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34171294

Edit: the link is to the Red Peak linked above by Roose.

I think the red is preferable to the black field because too many colors is confusing. I prefer the options on the right, the upper right one would show a clear departure from the British-based flag, the lower right one would be a compromise (like the old flag, it's still to complicated, IMO). The Hypno-flag on the lower left simply looks ridiculous, I think.

If you want to introduce a Maori element, there's the proposed red peak flag:

http://idealog.co.nz/media/VERSIONS/eight_col_01red-peak_large.jpg

It mysteriously didn't get past the panel though.

Yes it did and so did another one that looks very similar, it just didn't make the final 4. I kinda like the Black Jack from that list but I would agree this is a waste of time and money.

Archived