Consensus for Lyanna's Death

TyrionsFlagon

Childbirth? Feel like the rest is unsure, but that part is consistent across the board.

That would mean peolple would have known she was pregnant...and then people would question where the baby went.  And with Ned randomly showing up with a baby...everything would get unraveled, so I don't believe people knew she was with child.

It's an interesting question though.  People know she died at the TOJ, but not sure how Ned/Howland covered it up.

Good question. I remember in the show (sorry to bring it up but it sticks in my mind easier than the books) Bran tells Osha that Lyanna was kidnapped by Rhaegar Targaryen and Robert started a war to win her back, but she died anyways. That's the only time I can think of someone referring to her death as opposed to just being abducted and raped. 

Perhaps people think she was abused so violently that she died of injuries. Ned could have just told people she was dying from a fever when he arrived and let them fill in the blanks as to what caused it.

For those, like Bran, who seem to accept the "official" Baratheon version that Rhaegar abducted and raped Lyanna, being dead from being held captive and abused so long is not hard to imagine. For those who do not believe that Rhaegar abducted and raped her, like Barristan, for example, I am not sure what they assume. But hiding out in a remote area has its risks, so I assume most people assume that she got sick from something and died. I think in those times, people died all the time from some disease or other, and people did not always have specific names for each such disease, so it was just accepted that some people just died and did not dig into the precise reason. Or maybe there is an "official" cover story for how she died and GRRM has not revealed it to the readers yet -- who knows?

I mean, I understand that it's a massive novel and there may be holes here or there, but I was wondering if I were a noble living in Westeros I would probably be asking questions as to what she died of. In a world where knowledge can be just as important as military strength and sometimes money, I was suprised that more people weren't asking about it.

It is not rare for a person to die from some disease like a fever in westeros.
People may not be that interested in digging which disease lyanna died for.
For the gossiping, they just need to know she died for some disease (if they do not think she was raped to death like Robert) .

Considering that no one believes Rhaegar is a rapist (except Robert and a 9 years old kid), the idea of her dying for any kind of mistreatment is absurd for them.

I think it's a very abstract concept for them. "She died during the war...". Could mean hundreds of things.

Official story must be "abduction and raping" .
It is known by king, by maester, by sansa(show), by a young stark child like bran.
People who were familiar or love rhaegar would not believe this since it is too out of his character.
And rhaegar may have explained something to the court after he came back from TOJ.

I can see he talked with his father in the court:
Areys: what the hell happened with you and that northern woman?
Why those Starks came to question you? Why did you run off and hide?
Rhaegar: well. This is the thing I did for love.
This answer left a deep memory in young Jiame's mind.

Although it is a stretch to say she was raped to death :)
Raping usually would not lead to death, it would often lead to a child.
Too bad westeros people are too dumb to miss this possibility. :)

It is not rare for a person to die from some disease like a fever in westeros.
People may not be that interested in digging which disease lyanna died for.
For the gossiping, they just need to know she died for some disease (if they do not think she was raped to death like Robert) .

I don't know....it seems rather peculiar that the betrothed of Robert Baratheon (who, I'm assuming, would be slated to be Queen), and daughter to the King of the North...would die of a random disease and everyone would just shrug their shoulders.

Surely *somebody* has wondered or questioned how or why she died.  But the Books (to my knowledge) don't show any signs that anyone even cared or questioned what happened.

All seems odd to me.

I don't know....it seems rather peculiar that the betrothed of Robert Baratheon (who, I'm assuming, would be slated to be Queen), and daughter to the King of the North...would die of a random disease and everyone would just shrug their shoulders.

Surely *somebody* has wondered or questioned how or why she died.  But the Books (to my knowledge) don't show any signs that anyone even cared or questioned what happened.

All seems odd to me.

Because GRRM wants to hide Jon's parentage until the last two book.
Who dare to be more smart than GRRM? :)

Like joncon's red beard said, there were hundreds of way to die in a war time for a young woman like lyanna.
It is really not the focus that how exactly she died, for most people.

Well, we know that Ned brought Lyanna's body (or just the bones?) back to Winterfell personally.  So it's entirely possible that Ned fabricated some sort of story on how she died.  What that story is we have no idea, but whatever it is, people must be taking it as factual due to Neds honorable reputation.

Maybe we'll find out once we get clarity on the whole situation and get a Weirwood Vision on Ned fabricating the story, who knows?

But it also could be just a small, minor detail that GRRM simply didn't think was important enough to even justify with an answer.  ASOIAF fans love to nit-pick over the little details that even GRRM is astonished by, so that's probably all this is.

Or maybe there is an "official" cover story for how she died and GRRM has not revealed it to the readers yet -- who knows?

Think this is the explanation. What exactly happened during Robert's Rebellion seems to be well known to the inhabitants of westeros, but it has not been clearly revealed to readers till now. 

Or maybe there is an "official" cover story for how she died and GRRM has not revealed it to the readers yet -- who knows?

Think this is the explanation. What exactly happened during Robert's Rebellion seems to be well known to the inhabitants of westeros, but it has not been clearly revealed to readers till now. 

Archived