Why Did LF marry sansa off to Ramsay?

The 999th Sword of Braavos

The decision "putting Sansa and Ramsay together" apparently was hatched while the honchos were writing Season 2. 

And what was that major part? The sum total: Get forced into a marriage with the people she knows killed her mother and brother -- by the man she DOESN'T know got her father killed; then she's raped; raped more and beaten; and then she jumps off a high wall, but only after expressing a wish to commit suicide by Myranda. 

Yeah, "major part" indeed. 

She played a major part like Craster's wives played a major part in season 4, minus those scenes where one of them helped Jon kill Karl and where they decided to not go to the Wall and burned the shack, because Sansa never came close to doing anything proactive like that.

You know when shallow readers who hate Sansa and keep not paying attention to her chapters say she is doing nothing? That's what season 5 was really like. She had things done to her all season and didn't do anything except light a tiny candle and pick a lock, and the former was pointless anyway. The rest of the time she was being victimized, agreeing to be victimized ("yes, Littlefinger, I will accept a marriage that is utterly repugnant and terrible to me in every possible way, just because you tell me to"; "yes, Myranda, kill me, I'm ready to die"), or telling Theon she'd like to be just like her abuser.

^^^Yes, I'm sure the people that hate or don't like Sansa thought the change was a good one. But you know, they really ought to ask themselves whether they would approve of such a major departure, from the story, if it involved one of their favorite characters.

Perhaps by answering that question, they might understand why some fans, for whom Sansa is a beloved character, were so annoyed. Not only did they completely rip her out of her own story, harming her character development, but they did it in the most hamfisted and illogical manner possible, making the situation worse.

^^^Yes, I'm sure the people that hate or don't like Sansa thought the change was a good one. But you know, they really ought to ask themselves whether they would approve of such a major departure, from the story, if it involved one of their favorite characters.

Perhaps by answering that question, they might understand why some fans, for whom Sansa is a beloved character, were so annoyed. Not only did they completely rip her out of her own story, harming her character development, but they did it in the most hamfisted and illogical manner possible, making the situation worse.

Yep, I want stories to make sense and yes, as a book reader, there are ways to change things AND make it sensible. It can be tricky but in this case, it was unnecessary and because we read the books, we know it was for Sansa to be raped as it is the only thing they kept from the story of the girl she replaced.

She played a major part like Craster's wives played a major part in season 4, minus those scenes where one of them helped Jon kill Karl and where they decided to not go to the Wall and burned the shack, because Sansa never came close to doing anything proactive like that.

You know when shallow readers who hate Sansa and keep not paying attention to her chapters say she is doing nothing? That's what season 5 was really like. She had things done to her all season and didn't do anything except light a tiny candle and pick a lock, and the former was pointless anyway. The rest of the time she was being victimized, agreeing to be victimized ("yes, Littlefinger, I will accept a marriage that is utterly repugnant and terrible to me in every possible way, just because you tell me to"; "yes, Myranda, kill me, I'm ready to die"), or telling Theon she'd like to be just like her abuser.

She didn't spend her time wiping a kids nose though so its an improvement.

She didn't spend her time wiping a kids nose though so its an improvement.

Indeed, who would choose to be a parent or caretaker when they could be doing something more worthwhile and productive, like being raped and beaten by a psycho? 

Well, nobody.

But who would think that it's a much better use of woman's time and much better role for her to be raped for the pleasure of the viewing audience than to be the caretaker to an ill and difficult child? 

Obviously, there are certain people who do.

The Vale story has a lot of angst to it in that Littlefinger is creeping on her constantly. She went through the gauntlet in Kings Landing on the show for 3 and a half seasons. Non stop. the Vale was a place to learn a little and grow up a little, like Bran with Bloodraven, Jon at the Wall, Rickon with Osha and Arya in Braavos.  I think the show really wanted the rape/sex and as much of the flesh of Sophie they could get her to show as they could. That is what this show is infamous for. They went with that. The storyline of her and lf makes no sense. LF exposed himself as a traitor by even sending the offer letter to the Boltons in the firstplace. They could have sent the letter to King's Landing with LF's seal on it and he would be done for. Sansa must have realized that, so she never had a choice in going like the showrunners and LF said. She knew she had to be delivered to the Boltons as she was wanted by the crown and the Boltons would have LF's goose cooked if he did not deliver her. The showrunners did not even consider that when saying she had a choice. no she did not. Sorry if I am getting pissed but the whole Story line of Sansa and littlefinger and the explaination by the showrunners is very insulting to all of our collective and individual intelligence.

Like OldGimletEye said, if this had happened to one of my favorite characters, I'm sure I would have been pissed too, so I understand your frustrations. Littlefinger has always been a big gambler, more in the show than in the books, but in this case I think he felt safe because he had something the Boltons desperately needed. The Lannisters made Roose Bolton Warden of the North, but it's an empty title that wouldn't protect them from the North's wrath. Only with Sansa would they be able to secure their hold on the North, thus Littlefinger held all the  cards.

Was sitting looking after a kid and making sure he doesn't dribble too much something we missed though?

No but I think I might have enjoyed it more than all the bs needed to set up wf then the nothing we got in wf. If wf was closer to book wf with Theon as the main character rather than ramsay, A real Stark so ramsay has to tread carefully, a Stark loyalist or 2 and a frey or 2 to die I might have enjoyed the storyline but not the Ramsay show.

Like OldGimletEye said, if this had happened to one of my favorite characters, I'm sure I would have been pissed too, so I understand your frustrations. Littlefinger has always been a big gambler, more in the show than in the books, but in this case I think he felt safe because he had something the Boltons desperately needed. The Lannisters made Roose Bolton Warden of the North, but it's an empty title that wouldn't protect them from the North's wrath. Only with Sansa would they be able to secure their hold on the North, thus Littlefinger held all the  cards.

No they wouldn't because in the show they don't invite the other Lords to see they've got a Stark because it's treason so it's a secret marriage. So the boltons got a marriage to improve their legitimacy as rulers with no witnesses or proof and with nobody else knowing.

No they wouldn't because in the show they don't invite the other Lords to see they've got a Stark because it's treason so it's a secret marriage. So the boltons got a marriage to improve their legitimacy as rulers with no witnesses or proof and with nobody else knowing.

Just because there weren't any Northern lords at the wedding doesn't mean they weren't aware of the marriage. Plenty of the common folk knew there was a Stark in Winterfell. I'm sure word travelled. 

Just because there weren't any Northern lords at the wedding doesn't mean they weren't aware of the marriage. Plenty of the common folk knew there was a Stark in Winterfell. I'm sure word travelled. 

Why would it? The common folk don't move about if they're in wf odds are they live within a few miles and if they were made aware they really should be there.

Why would it? The common folk don't move about if they're in wf odds are they live within a few miles and if they were made aware they really should be there.

Or the Boltons could have sent ravens. The fact that Stannis wasn't able to receive any Northern allies was very telling to me. Anyway, with the northern lords cast, hopefully they'll cover this next season.

Was sitting looking after a kid and making sure he doesn't dribble too much something we missed though?

Have you read Alayne I? If you did, you'd know she does a lot more than that. Sansa's storyline in the Vale has a lot of meat and since the Vale's returning next season, will make a difference in the endgame. Putting her in Jeyne's place was just idiotic.
Also, she organizes the tourney, seduces Harry and plots with LF. Done right, It could be really intriguing. I love political intrigue. As it was done, it was just stupid.

Let's remind ourselves that the news must have spread due to the Winterfell staff that Sansa was being raped. By allowing that, Roose lost all his political card. one thing is for FArya to be raped. She's a steward's daughter. Sansa's the daughter of Eddard and Lady of the North by right.

So, again, stupid.

Let's remind ourselves that the news must have spread due to the Winterfell staff that Sansa was being raped. By allowing that, Roose lost all his political card. one thing is for FArya to be raped. She's a steward's daughter. Sansa's the daughter of Eddard and Lady of the North by right.

So, again, stupid.

Roose Bolton is trying to pass off that steward's daughter as Arya Stark, and yet allows Ramsay to rape her anyway. So, just as stupid.

Archived