Heavy Metal 9: through Bruce is salvation

MercenaryChef

18 hours ago, r'hllor's red lobster said:

well fuck me if this thread hadn't been dormant for longer than the current diaper filling man baby had actually been president. 

anyway, a little march madness bracket fun

We've all been too fucking depressed to do anything fun like post about metal. :P  Neat idea in that link!

OK this is metalthread, so here's some wicked 80s style thrash I found. Enjoy!

I admit it... I have been spending most of my commute listening to political news rather than listening to music. Just another thing to blame Trump for. :P

On 3/24/2017 at 6:08 PM, Ferrum Aeternum said:

We've all been too fucking depressed to do anything fun like post about metal. :P  Neat idea in that link!

OK this is metalthread, so here's some wicked 80s style thrash I found. Enjoy!

Sweet fuck. That is some damn good thrash.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the last 16 hours or so was pretty interesting. 

• I drove three hours to see IRON MAIDEN in concert (Nashville)
  • On the way, I got rear-ended on I-40 while traveling about 70 MPH. Person never looked up (presumably from her phone) and slammed right into the back of me. Neither of us were injured. Her truck was totaled. Mine got some nice dings but in the words of the state trooper was "driveable." She was insured and they're paying. 
  • Fuck a high speed interstate wreck, I'm not missing Maiden. 
  • Succeeded in making it to the show late enough to miss most of horrible opening act Ghost. My friends waited on me to arrive before going in. They're righteous dudes. 
  • IRON MAIDEN took the stage. Sold-out Bridgestone Arena lost its shit. 
  • Bruce. Pyrotechnics. Bruce. Giant Eddie inflatables. FUCKING BRUCE.
  • "SCREAM FOR ME NASHVILLE!!!"  Nashville screamed.
  • Took an hour just to get out of downtown, got home at 2:30 AM
  • Back awake at 6:00, at work by 7:00
  • Tired AF. Utterly, completely worth it. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2017 at 9:42 AM, Ferrum Aeternum said:

• On the way, I got rear-ended on I-40 while traveling about 70 MPH. Person never looked up (presumably from her phone) and slammed right into the back of me. Neither of us were injured. Her truck was totaled. Mine got some nice dings but in the words of the state trooper was "driveable." She was insured and they're paying. 
  • Succeeded in making it to the show late enough to miss most of horrible opening act Ghost. My friends waited on me to arrive before going in. They're righteous dudes. 

shit dude, glad you're ok!

On 6/14/2017 at 6:42 AM, Ferrum Aeternum said:

MAIDEN!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

New Steven Wilson (not metal) and Pyrrhon (total fucking metal) just dropped so I'll be listening the shit out of them some time soon hopefully. First listens were very good.

https://pyrrhonband.bandcamp.com/album/what-passes-for-survival

I'm waiting for my copy of the new Leprous to come in the mail and while I've heard some... conflicting opinions on it, I'm hopeful that it will at least be as good as their last albums.

Also, new Chelsea Wolfe in a couple of weeks. Abyss was fucking awesome and this one sounds like it's going to be even more metal so I'm quite excited.

Honestly, the first half of the year hasn't really done much for me musically, but it seems like August and September are pulling out all the stops.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be damned, still haven't posted any links to new stuff. :blush: Will try to get some in here soon. Been very busy lately, including my annual soiree to ProgPower USA this past week. I won't go into exorbitant detail, but some highlights: 

- For the first time since I've been attending the festival, the opening night (Wednesday) may have been my favorite of the four. In succession we got Serenity, Orphaned Land and HAKEN, three phenomenal bands who all played flawless, mesmerizing sets. 

- Thursday highlight was definitely Metal Church, who closed out the night. Holy fucking balls did they sound amazing. Mike Howe's voice hasn't changed a bit in 30 years and the band was precise and heavy as fuck. They blew the doors off the place. 

- Friday was pretty solid start to finish. Daydream XI and Distorted Harmony, two excellent prog bands I hadn't heard before, put on killer performances. Lords of Black pleased everyone with hard driving Dio-style heavy metal (including a cover of Neon Knights to close out their set). Angel Dust was brought out of mothballs after 15 years and actually sounded really good. Highlight of the night for me was Tunisian power/prog metal outfit Myrath. 

- Saturday was overall better than I was expecting going in. Seven Spires is a pretty decent up and coming group in the Kobra and the Lotus vein; they sounded fantastic and set the tone for the day. Dynazty rocked the house, Snowy Shaw was entertaining as hell (pun intended), Amaranthe kind of bumbled through their set due to technical issues but were mostly okay. Festival headliner Katatonia had no such problems, playing two hours of dark, angsty prog metal that firmly kicked the ass of every person in the building. There were a few who bitched about their unique stage lighting but I found it set the mood perfectly. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived