Heavy Metal 9: through Bruce is salvation

MercenaryChef

Don't look now but the new Judas Priest is a legitimately very good heavy metal album. No fanboying here because frankly I couldn't stand their last two albums, and thought Angel of Retribution was just mediocre. This is easily the best thing they've done since Painkiller. No bloat whatsoever. It's sharp, punchy and grabs you immediately. A FB commenter noted that it's a Screaming for Vengeance-type album with modern production (and Rob staying in mid-range, which is fine). That's a pretty good summation. 

^^^April 5th I will be seeing them Rock out Green Bay!!

"One life I'm gonna live it up
I'm takin' I said I'll never get enough
Stand tall I'm uh, young and kind of proud
I'm on the top, but as long as the music's loud
If you think I'll sit around as the world goes by
You're thinkin' like a fool cause it's a case of do or die
Out there is a fortune waiting to be had
If you think I'll let you go you're mad
You've got another thing comin'
You've got another thing comin'
That's right here's where the talking ends
Well, listen, this night there'll be some action spent
Drive hard callin' all the shots
I got an ace card comin' down rocks
If you think I'll sit around while you chip away my brain
Listen I ain't foolin' and you'd better think again
Out there is a fortune waiting to be had
If you…"

16 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

^^^April 5th I will be seeing them Rock out Green Bay!!

Nice!  :thumbsup: I'm still trying to figure out which show makes the most sense for me. They're touring with support from Saxon which definitely adds to the appeal from my side. 

• 3 weeks later...

2018 is, thus far, an amazing year for the kind of stuff I like. Can't remember 3 months into the year hearing so many great records. Best-of list is gonna be packed!

Here's something interesting that should appeal to a lot of y'all. https://thecrownofficial.bandcamp.com/album/cobra-speed-venom

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

That was a pleasant surprise. It is indeed really good. 

Yup. I've been listening to it at work in the morning and it works perfectly for that time when the coffee hasn't quite kicked in so everything is still a little hazy.

17 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Heh, which singer are they on now?

Their third, and by far most talented one to date. 

I give Tuomas Holopainen a lot of credit. He's made great music with all three of them by composing to fit each of their styles. 

1 hour ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Their third, and by far most talented one to date. 

I give Tuomas Holopainen a lot of credit. He's made great music with all three of them by composing to fit each of their styles. 

Heh I strongly disagree with that statement. I did not like the last album at all.

21 hours ago, Mr. X said:

Yup. I've been listening to it at work in the morning and it works perfectly for that time when the coffee hasn't quite kicked in so everything is still a little hazy.

yeah, man. it is really good. haven't been able to listen to the whole thing yet. 

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Heh I strongly disagree with that statement. I did not like the last album at all.

I loved it and it was even better seeing a majority of it live.

Aside from Floor being fairly restrained on it, I do not get the hate for the album at all.

On 4/22/2018 at 6:31 PM, sainttriple7 said:

New Sleep album The Sciences dropped 2 days ago. 

Listened to a few songs. It's pretty awesome. 

New Sleep? Well, I have a new short-term goal for myself apparently!

12 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh I wouldn't say I HATE it, I just thought it was kinda dull.

I will grant that it wasn't as consistently impressive as it could've been, given Floor's monumental talent.  

That said, she absolutely killed it the other night. For this tour they are laying off the Anette years entirely (a good thing, because Floor's style doesn't match up well with those songs at all), sticking largely to Oceanborn / Wishmaster era stuff which is right in her wheelhouse. 

On 4/24/2018 at 8:30 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Oh I wouldn't say I HATE it, I just thought it was kinda dull.

Hah, well, I've seen a buncha folks online lambasting that album since it came out, so I guess I automatically translated "Didn't like" to "OMFG WURST ALBVM EVAR!!!!1111"

13 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

I will grant that it wasn't as consistently impressive as it could've been, given Floor's monumental talent.  

I actually think that's one of its strengths, it's really consistently good (at least I think so). It doesn't have too many stand-out amazing tracks, but it also lacks the requisite one or two irredeemably bad tracks that every Nightwish album seems to have. I'd put it right in the middle of the pack honestly.

That said, she absolutely killed it the other night. For this tour they are laying off the Anette years entirely (a good thing, because Floor's style doesn't match up well with those songs at all), sticking largely to Oceanborn / Wishmaster era stuff which is right in her wheelhouse. 

She's - they're - really great live. I really debated going to see them again but I wanted to save my money for other bands I haven't yet seen, but now I'm kicking myself for that decision. Oh well.

Archived