Heavy Metal 9: through Bruce is salvation

MercenaryChef

35 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Been pretty much listening non-stop to Sojourner's Empires of Ash, Wormwood's Ghostlands: Wounds From a Bleeding Earth and Skyforest's Unity for this whole month.All three are damn good,but my favourite of the three is probably Empires of Ash.:thumbsup:

Great choices!  Ahh sweet sweet atmospheric black metal. :wub:

In that same vein, if you're not already listening to Aquilus, Caladan Brood and Emyn Muil, please check those out. You might also like one I just found a few weeks ago called Ezerath

43 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Great choices!  Ahh sweet sweet atmospheric black metal. :wub:

In that same vein, if you're not already listening to Aquilus, Caladan Brood and Emyn Muil, please check those out. You might also like one I just found a few weeks ago called Ezerath

Thanks!

Only listened to Aquilus's Griseus so far.Any of their other stuff that you'd rec? I've heard of Caladan Brood but not listened to them yet.I should get around to doing just that since i'm a Malazan fan as well.:D.Will try the other two as well, any specific albums i should start with?

33 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Thanks!

Only listened to Aquilus's Griseus so far.Any of their other stuff that you'd rec? I've heard of Caladan Brood but not listened to them yet.I should get around to doing just that since i'm a Malazan fan as well.:D.Will try the other two as well, any specific albums i should start with?

Apart from Griseus they've only released an EP a few years back, but I saw earlier this year that the dude is working on new material.

Caladan Brood's album is astounding, especially if you've read Malazan. They've only put out the one release but I understand they are also working on a follow up. :thumbsup: 

Emyn Muil's only got the two albums, start with the debut and move on to this year's second album; both are excellent (LoTR-inspired). 

I'll dig around and see if I can find some more recommendations.

so there is a podcast i've gotten into that is 85% talking about health care policy and politics through a lefitst lens, and then they wrap up the end of each episode by talking about a heavy metal album, with no segue at all, lol, and it rules

"how many times have you taken a shit in a parking lot?" 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, r'hllor's redrum lobster said:

just discovered kenny g's son is in a prog metal band and (albeit, not my usual territory, will defer to @Ferrum Aeternum, as this is his wheelhouse)... well, it kind of fucking shreds 

https://themantleband.bandcamp.com/

Instrumental prog metal bands are a dime a dozen these days (Scale the Summit started that trend and it has snowballed). That said, this is some very good shit. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2017 at 3:22 PM, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Wanted to pop in real quick and give some love to the new Aosoth album that recently hit. 46-minute black metal masterpiece. 

Starting to mentally compile my best of 2017...it's gonna be a long ass list. 

oh shit, thanks for the reminder! (on both the aosoth and the list)

On 11/24/2017 at 5:39 PM, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Strongly approve of both. Epica is one of the best live bands I've ever seen. 

ETA: I'm on a Morbid Angel jag lately (and classic death metal in general). This album is such a masterpiece: 

I have recently gone full 1990s 2000s with a lot of cannibal corpse, deicide, hate eternal and morbid angel myself.  

those were glory days for me in music. I was young,  drunk, stupid and loved the death metal scene.

Okay, it's that time again. I posted a goddamn TOP 40 on Facebook. I will spare y'all that and hold to a top *cough cough something*-teen: 

1. Apex by Unleash the Archers - I love it when a band really surprises me. A band that I like, but that I mistakenly think has reached their... ... APEX as an artist. In this release, Unleash the Archers went far above and beyond what I thought them capable of given their prior releases. This is as good a heavy metal album as I've heard in years. Every track is fantastic. Favorite track - all, frankly, but this one has a video - "Awakening"

2. The Dark Element by The Dark Element - So, there are two types of Nightwish fans: those who rightly believe that all three vocalists are heavy metal goddesses, and small-minded idiots who feel the need to choose just one. In The Dark Element, former Nightwish frontwoman Anette Olzon shines in spectacular fashion over 11 gorgeous tracks seemingly crafted just for her. - Favorite track - "My Sweet Mystery" 

3. Hiss Spun by Chelsea Wolfe - Incredible album. Melancholy doom with a lots of crossover appeal thanks to the overwhelming emotional heft of the atmosphere and lyrics. Another artist who took another step with her 2017 release. - Favorite Track - "16 Psyche" 

4. Resolve by MindMaze - Another formerly "good" band that took a quantum leap with their 2017 release. No flaws that I can find on this one. Virtuoso performances from a band that seems like they still have plenty more in the tank. - Favorite Track - "Sign of Life" 

5. Aathma by Persefone - An early favorite of mine that held on throughout. Crazy good progressive melodic death metal, including my favorite musical moment of the year, namely the first minute and a half or so of - Favorite Track - "Prison Skin" 

6. Lykaia by Soen - A band that had somehow slipped under my radar for several years, despite sporting former members of Opeth and Testament (while sounding a whole hell of a lot like Tool in the bargain). I didn't even know of this band's existence before the announcement that they would play ProgPower USA in 2018, yet this album became one of my most-played of the year. It's really phenomenal. Favorite Track - "Sectarian" 

7. This is the Sound by Cellar Darling - What happens when (arguably) the three best members of Eluveitie leave to form their own outfit? What do you think!? Blending equal parts Folk, Prog and Melodic to form a beautiful mix of modern day metal fit for any occasion, Cellar Darling came through with the most distinctive debut album of the year. Favorite Track - "Black Moon

8. Heartless by Pallbearer - Chillest album, best doom, best melancholy, don't give a fuck, fuck the world cool ass metal of the year. Another very good band that took another step into the stratosphere with this release. Who knew such metal goodness could come from a place so bland and dull as Little Rock, AR? Favorite Track - "Lie of Survival" 

9. As Embers Turn to Dust by Mechina - The best sci-fi metal project in existence, full stop. Perhaps not quite as great as last year's Progenitor but nonetheless a storytelling and musical tour de force. This album wraps up the band's current story arc; 2018's forthcoming box set is my only pending must-obtain musical purchase. Favorite Track(s) - "Aetherion Rain / The Synesthesia Signal" 

10. Mirror Reaper by Bell Witch - Yes I'm that (patient, intellectually superior :P) asshole that will listen to the entirety of a 1 hour 23 minute, one-track album written in tribute to band member who has passed away and tell you that it's one of the most moving and meaningful things that I heard all year. Because it was. Favorite Track (this one's pretty simple) - "Mirror Reaper"  

11. Vagabond by Subterranean Masquerade - All right, enough serious shit, let's have some fun! Blend together Middle Eastern influences with heavy slabs of prog  metal and a statuesque Norwegian vocalist and what do you get? Likely the most entertaining release of the year. A tough act to follow from their previous masterpiece The Great Bazaar, but they pulled it off and then some. Favorite Track - "Nomad"

12. Lionheart by Serenity - Confirmed fantastic power metal band puts forth yet another fantastic release. Doctoral History student lead singer creates concept album about Richard the Lionheart. Unbridled awesomeness ensues. Favorite Track - "Lionheart!" 

13. Nightmare Logic by Power Trip - Okay, if you've made it this far, you are obviously a Metal Thread die hard, which means you're likely salivating for some TRVE METAL right about now. Well here you go - one of the best modern thrash releases, period. Favorite Track - "Executioner's Tax" 

Honorable Mentions: 

The Crowning of the Fire King by Sorcerer

The Stranger by The Stranger

Ghost Mile by Voyager

Urn by Ne Obliviscaris

Father Sky by Hypergiant

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived