Heavy Metal 9: through Bruce is salvation

MercenaryChef

1 hour ago, MercurialCannibal said:

I am certain that Metallica was killed in a bus crash in Sweden in 1986. This must be an error.

Also, I own this shirt. It is awesome.  

https://www.teepublic.com/show/527815-mustaine-wrote-em-all

I've seen that shirt, and yes, it rules

12 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Can anyone recommend some instrumental metal (post metal? Is that even a thing?).

\,,/(*_*)\,,/

not totally sure if this is the kind of stuff you are looking for, but check out Dysrhythmia (super proggy- metal version of Cancer Conspiracy), Earth, Zombi (John Carpenter worship), Ufomammut (not totally instrumental, but the vocals are pretty low-key-- think old school Italian film scores by way of Neurosis)

42 minutes ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

not totally sure if this is the kind of stuff you are looking for, but check out Dysrhythmia (super proggy- metal version of Cancer Conspiracy), Earth, Zombi (John Carpenter worship), Ufomammut (not totally instrumental, but the vocals are pretty low-key-- think old school Italian film scores by way of Neurosis)

Thanks for this. Had a quick youtube skim of Dysrhythmia. Reminds me of a heavier Mars Volta, which can never be a bad thing. Just listening to Earth's Primitive and Deadly. This is quality stuff.

Will try Zombi next.

32 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Thanks for this. Had a quick youtube skim of Dysrhythmia. Reminds me of a heavier Mars Volta, which can never be a bad thing. Just listening to Earth's Primitive and Deadly. This is quality stuff.

Will try Zombi next.

Sweet! Yeah, Primitave and Deadly is the first Eartu album to have vocals in like, 20 years (provided in part by the incomparable Mark Lanegan) and is really more of a doomy album, but have a pretty eclectic output, from their early drone stuff to my favorite, more 'cinematic' type stuff in "The Bees Made Honey in the Lions Skull" and "Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light" parts I & II. Worth exploring.

but anyway, enjoy!

14 hours ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

Sweet! Yeah, Primitave and Deadly is the first Eartu album to have vocals in like, 20 years (provided in part by the incomparable Mark Lanegan) and is really more of a doomy album, but have a pretty eclectic output, from their early drone stuff to my favorite, more 'cinematic' type stuff in "The Bees Made Honey in the Lions Skull" and "Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light" parts I & II. Worth exploring.

but anyway, enjoy!

Holy shit, man! The Bees Made Honey in the Lions Skull is freakin' amazing. Bought it late last night, and have had it on repeat all day. Love the artwork too.

Thanks for the rec.

Ok, I need some help; there is something that is just driving me absolutely bananas.

Been listening to Bölzer a lot lately, and there is something about that riff in, well, that song, that is just tickling something in my brain, and I can't quite get a grasp on what it is. I keep circling the idea that this is not really a metal riff-- I'm kinda feeling it's sorta got a post-hardcore/emo (not in that way) vibe. Not that it's a rip off or anything, yet very familiar.

i need someone to help me pull this idea, sticky with gore, living and breathing out of my brain

for reference: 

On 8/22/2016 at 4:11 PM, Spockydog said:

Can anyone recommend some instrumental metal (post metal? Is that even a thing?).

\,,/(*_*)\,,/

Tempel is the best I've heard. Both albums. 

@R'hllors Red Lobster get in here and listen to this!

On 8/25/2016 at 9:52 AM, MercurialCannibal said:

Happy birthday to the metal God himself, Rob Halford!

Fuck yes! I've been on a Priest kick lately.

• 1 month later...

Archived