Supergirl TV show: anticipation or wary?

BlackBethaRidesAgain

Hey, remember that thing we've been waiting for Superman to do for two films? Rip his shirt open and actually save someone?

Don't mind admitting that, despite not watching most of the first season of Supergirl, I enjoyed the shit out of that trailer. Imagine if they really can fold this in with Flashpoint, and have all of them team up...

On 13/08/2016 at 9:54 AM, The BlackBear said:

So in other strange news. Reported that there will be a musical crossover with Supergirl and Flash, with Whedon to direct.

sounds like a Whedon fan's wet dream

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

Now that is Clark Kent.

And man the Aeronautical industry in the Superman universe really needs to get it's shit together.

Indeed. Although I hope the creators are treading very carefully as they run the risk of upstaging their lead. I mean this is like having Batman turn up on Arrow (can you imagine how embarassed Oliver would be to be told he's a rip off of the Batman in every way besides killing). I wonder whether it'll turn out he's not Superman but a clone/android? That or he's going to die.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, that was.......good? I think? It's hard to tell, I'm a Superman fan so I'm predisposed toward it. But I think they did a great job, he looks like Superman more than Cavill or Routh for my money. Just get the colours right, have him smile once in a while and save people......very refreshing after the recent DC offerings. Whether the series holds up once he goes back to Metropolis remains to be seen, but I'll stick around until at least the crossover.

Did anyone here see the first season through? Who's the boss of the DEO supposed to be?

Martian Manhunter is in charge of it again.

I liked the premiere.  It was solid and felt like come of the best of the CW Arrowverse stuff. Fit right in.

I'm not a fan of the rumor Supergirl isn't going to be folded totally into the Arrowverse though...

10 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm not sure if that's to whom you're referring.

4 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Martian Manhunter

I only saw like 3 episodes so I had no idea MM was in it.

A couple of Donner-film nods in there (the California earthquake and the new assistant), and a mention of Gotham I notice. I really hope it is getting folded in, I say screw it and go full Justice League. It's all pretty much there.

5 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I only saw like 3 episodes so I had no idea MM was in it.

A couple of Donner-film nods in there (the California earthquake and the new assistant), and a mention of Gotham I notice. I really hope it is getting folded in, I say screw it and go full Justice League. It's all pretty much there.

It was brief but you saw him as MM flying with Supergirl in a scene then he changed back to John Henshaw.

Loved the nods to Donner's Superman. The other one was Lena Luthor getting in the helicopter saying "statistically, flying is the safest way to travel..." No rehashing of the Donner films just nods and homages, that's the way to do it.

The "We're moving back to Gotham." line had me chuckling.

It was nice to see a real live action Superman again, hadn't seen that since Smallville. That character in the movies is not Superman.

So why has Jimmy been banished to the friendzone? I hope it wasn't because the focus groups don't like Supergirl getting it on with a hunky black dude. Interracial couplings between supporting cast are OK, but the white star must only pair with a white person? I hope not. They just seemed to kill off that romance so damned quickly after teasing it for an entire season.

I also don't get why Cat Grant goes jelly legs over Clarke Kent. That's very lame.

Actually I am not liking the whole Superman thing at all, in the absence of getting a much bigger roster of superheroes from the DC stable to exist in the SGverse. Of course Gotham exists. But does Batman? How about Wally West on Earth 3 getting his Flash powers? Green Lantern. Good to see Mon-El finally getting a turn in live action adaptations. But seriously, 3 heroes with Kryptonian super powers in one little show, is getting kinda overloaded.

How would they completely fold SG into Arrowverse when she's on Earth 3?

Edit: Now that I think about it, it would have been better for Mon El to turn up in Flash-Arrow Earth rather than be in SG.

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly don't know of race played into the brakes being put on the relationship, which is a stupid reason to end it, but there just wasn't much chemistry in general, so I was fine moving forward.

I'm interested to see what they do with Mon El, though I'm hoping it leads to the Legion of Superheroes...

44 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I'm hoping it leads to the Legion of Superheroes...

Me, too! When I was a kid, the Legion of Superheroes was like the guilty pleasure of comic books. Where else would you get that delightful mix of the interestingly powered with the weirdly wonderful?  (Chameleon Boy, Invisible Kid, Colossal Boy, Star Boy, Brainiac 5, Triplicate Girl, Shrinking Violet, Sun Boy, Bouncing Boy, Phantom GirlFerro Lad and Ultra Boy.) And later maybe a further spinoff of the Legion of Substitute Heroes. :commie::D

1 hour ago, Quoth said:

Me, too! When I was a kid, the Legion of Superheroes was like the guilty pleasure of comic books. Where else would you get that delightful mix of the interestingly powered with the weirdly wonderful?  (Chameleon Boy, Invisible Kid, Colossal Boy, Star Boy, Brainiac 5, Triplicate Girl, Shrinking Violet, Sun Boy, Bouncing Boy, Phantom GirlFerro Lad and Ultra Boy.) And later maybe a further spinoff of the Legion of Substitute Heroes. :commie::D

My dream is that they do evil Brainiac before the season ends, and then introduce the LoS in the finale, complete with Brainiac 5 and go into season three, perhaps having a whole season, or at least half, set in the future with the LoS...

Brainiac 8 was just one name...I think she preferred Indigo... :P

Wonder Woman as the President of the United states...what a nice curve in that: 

Spoiler

They give the throw away line about her "other jet" making for a nice easter egg, but then they indicate she's actually an alien...

I like that they've opened up the show and really accepted the whole alien thing...opening up the possibilities, very CW in that way...

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Brainiac 8 was just one name...I think she preferred Indigo... :P

Wonder Woman as the President of the United states...what a nice curve in that: 

Hide contents

They give the throw away line about her "other jet" making for a nice easter egg, but then they indicate she's actually an alien...

I like that they've opened up the show and really accepted the whole alien thing...opening up the possibilities, very CW in that way...

Yeah, I cheered at the "other jet" line and then when they revealed the alien face, I was disappointed. They brought Superman in this universe, they have the Martian Manhunter, and Ollie is pretty much Batman in all but name. They should just form their own Justice League (no Legends characters please) and tell DCEU to F off.

On 25/10/2016 at 3:39 AM, Jaxom 1974 said:

I'm interested to see what they do with Mon El

And whether they'll explain why he has the same surname as Superman despite being from an entirely different planet. And even though he wasn't the one trying to kill the president, his first action upon waking was to strangle a young woman and throw her through a window, followed by more unprovoked violence, which hardly makes him a sympathetic character that Supergirl was wrong to prejudge. And why did it take him so long to arrive on Earth? Did he get stuck in the Phantom Zone too? Also, how come nobody was able to spot the woman throwing a series of totally un-Kryptonian fireballs at the president during her first extended attack? She's not exactly subtle! And why did she kidnap the cop, leave her hanging in a warehouse for quite some time, and then start arguing politics just before Supergirl shows up? This show is fun, but sometimes it can be pretty hard to look past just how stupid it is...

Archived