Supergirl TV show: anticipation or wary?

BlackBethaRidesAgain

Last night I saw the official tv spot for the Supergirl show that is premiering this fall in the U.S. and had mixed emotions. I've always loved DC's female characters and am excited from the previews of this show, but a part of me is a little wary of any new comic book hero shows popping up. I was curious on other opinions.

I'm looking forward to it. I haven't been following the other DC superhero shows, though (unless you count Constantine), so I'm hoping it's sufficiently standalone.

Matt Ryan will be reprising his role as Constantine on at least one episode of Arrow this season.

They definitely look like they will keep it fresh and fun. Maybe, it can't be cornier than the Super girl live action movie (not that corniness is always bad).

I loved that movie as a kid. Now, I haven't seen it again since I was about six, so I can't say how it stands up.

Anyway, cautiously optimistic. The first trailer I wasn't sure about, but I generally enjoy superhero shows, even if Gotham and Agents of Shield were recent exceptions.

I'm excited for it. Probably more so than for Daredevil series 2, which is a sentence I never thought I would be typing for a whole range of reasons. :p

My teenage daughter, not usually a superhero fan, is also pretty excited about this one. So that's a hit for the marketing department.

One thing I'm not clear on is where it fits into in terms of continuity. If I'm right then it's in the same universe as Man of Steel, Batfleck etc - but not Arrow, Flash? (And Gotham is almost entirely irrelevant)

Nope opposite. It's definitely not Cinematic world. It is/was meant to be in the same setting as the CW shows, but apparently now they won't cross over. So it effectively isn't, which I prefer as it begs the question why has no one mentioned superman on Flash or Arrow?

http://www.slashfilm.com/supergirl-crossover/

DC apparently want to keep there Cinematic Universe separate, which I think is smart given how powerful their main Justice Leaguers are, there would be immense difficulty creating any legitimate threat.

Two shows is manageable, we still don't know how the CW will cope with three, although one will be set in varying timelines. And it's all 'in house,' going to CBS as well just adds another layer of complication.

I was sure when they mentioned her ''cousin'' in the trailer it was a reference to MoS... unless Smallville? Although I am happier that it isn't in the cinematic universe.

Not having it in the same continuity as even the CW shows seems like a mistake to me. Even ignoring Marvel's success in terms of continuity, the fact that Flash and Arrow can cross over is one of the better aspects of their shows. 

Just a generic Superman, unique to Supergirl I guess. You can't really have Supergirl without Superman first, with everyone just saying 'oh, Supergirl's got a cousin'.

I think I mentioned on the DCTV thread, I'd be interested in seeing Supergirl set a few years in the future, so Superman's arrival could be an upcoming event in Flash/Arrow and maybe an older Ollie and Barry could show up in Supergirl, alluding to some dark and mysterious events to look forward to. Otherwise, I'm not buying that Arrow and Flash exist in a world where Superman exists but nobody's ever mentioned him.

This Superman has been on earth for a while by the time Kara appears. He's already Superman when she arrives on earth (time shenanigans and that), and then she has to grow to the age she is on the show. So it would have to be considerably ahead of Flash/Arrow, but alternate timelines are appearing in the CW-verse, so it's possible.

DC apparently want to keep there Cinematic Universe separate, which I think is smart given how powerful their main Justice Leaguers are, there would be immense difficulty creating any legitimate threat.

Two shows is manageable, we still don't know how the CW will cope with three, although one will be set in varying timelines. And it's all 'in house,' going to CBS as well just adds another layer of complication.

I think they went with cbs as a way to diverge from some CW audiences and thought it might have more appeal on network tv, but the CW might actually have more of its fan base. I'll definitely give it a try,though i fear my to watch list of superhero shows is larger than the time i have to watch.

I think they went with cbs as a way to diverge from some CW audiences and thought it might have more appeal on network tv, but the CW might actually have more of its fan base. I'll definitely give it a try,though i fear my to watch list of superhero shows is larger than the time i have to watch.

I thought they wanted to stick with the CW, but CBS made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Archived