Supergirl TV show: anticipation or wary?

BlackBethaRidesAgain

I really want it to be good. It needs to play the girlpower angle right, and not overdo it. Obviously they are tying her in with Superman thematically, which means at some point she could cross over with the Superman Batfleck movieverse. 

So, in terms of age, she's older than Kal el when she leaves Krypton according to the trailer (i.e. she's a little girl rather than a baby), but she's younger on Earth? Some continuity issues there no?

So, in terms of age, she's older than Kal el when she leaves Krypton according to the trailer (i.e. she's a little girl rather than a baby), but she's younger on Earth? Some continuity issues there no?

Not much of a spoiler: [spoiler]she gets stuck in the Phantom Zone along the way, where time flows differently.[/spoiler]

• 2 months later...

It seems that Kara is following in Barry's footsteps in not utilizing her powers appropriately. The big alien that breaks out of her chains at the base didn't look as strong as a Kryptonian, but somehow she was still a challenge for Supergirl. 

And yes, water and electricity are a bad combination, for normal people!!! Not sure how this can affect a person that can literally transform in electrical energy.

The scene of Kara and her aunt fighting while flying, which just screams WIREWORK

The dialogue

People not figuring out who Supergirl is

These moronic romances

The obvious lack of actual athletecism from the actors during fighting

225625.jpg

There's one thing I did like though.

"I know everything there is to know about Superman" Off course you would.

I've only seen episode 3, Episode for only airs this coming Sunday.

This show is literally living in Superman's shadow, and given the premise they started with, that's kind of how it needs to be. But they are not quite making it work for me. Perhaps this whole season will be building Kara into finally being the independent superhero she should be. But not having Superman actually put non-silhouette appearances where they actually have face to face conversations is a major limitation for the series. We're cousins and we love each other and have each other's backs, but we never hang out or talk to each other in person. Oh and we have an evil auntie with all the same powers as us and we aren't teaming up to try to figure out what to do about her. 

IMO if this had been Supergirl's training wheels season and they'd kept her heroics to the relatively small time, non-super problems in the city, and focussed on tension with the DEO and her sister the lack of Superman having a meaningful role would feel less contrived. Once she's established and DC can decide that yes, mixing the movieverse with Supergirl can work, then they can start bringing in the wider connection to the supers, both hero and villain.

TV Supergirl SHOULD be part of the Justice League.

• 3 weeks later...

The show made a mistake by focusing so much dialogue on Superman.  There is no way to forget or pretend that he doesn't exist in that universe.  A single mention at the start of the series to set up their kinship and how Kara got to Earth would have sufficed.  Multiple mentions every episode gives me no trust in Supergirl and leaves me wondering why her cousin doesn't show up.  I mean, city in serious peril, Supergirl out of commission, this looks like a job for Superman.  

I'm really glad Marvel has chosen to keep the referencing of other shows and character at absolute minimums.  

Also, that no one recognizes Supergirl is the stupidest thing ever.  There isn't even a suggestion of disguise. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's the same as ever and it's back.

Spoilers below.

I thought we were done with the Cat charade.

Is Maxwell this much of a douchebag in the comics?

Why hasn't Alex told Kara about Henshaw? He could have totally used his powers when the humans weren't around if that was his real worry, about his identity.

That soldier should totally be court marshalled right?

What is the Kryptonians actual goal? Were we told? Because I seem to have forgotten.

They should really have just doen this show without Superman, he adds nothing, and just raises questions about why he isn't involved more regularly. What state is the world in that it's foremost hero isn't concerned about a bunch of Kryptonian terrorists?

And BIZARRO(girl)!

Bunch of gutless turds, off course they would find some bullshit way to keep Kara's "identity" a secret.

Is Maxwell this much of a douchebag in the comics?

Yes he is, but the worst thing involving Maxwell Lord was when Wonder Woman snapped his neck to break his hold on Superman and good ol' hypocritical Big Blue and Batman gave her shit for it.

I was under the impression he was a fou8nder of the Justice League, is this not correct? They seem to be using him as a stand in for Lex here.

This is not correct, he brought the League under his control when they were left leaderless and weak, post-Crisis on Infinite Earths.

My mistake not really much of a DC buff. Sounds a bit like Norman Osborne in Dark Reign. Is he an out and out villain then?

About 80% of the time, the rest of the time he is a sleazy amoral scum.....you know what, yes, yes he is an out and out villain.

Archived