Balon Greyjoy is an idiot.

Abdallah

Ok so im reading the last chapter of Theon in a clash of kings. What pisses me off is he told Theon he wanted the North. THEON TAKES WINTERFELL. He said he wanted winterfell but then says withdraw. he could have sent 500 men and kept winterfell. Then it would have been over. If Rodrik attacked WInterfell when he had 500 men, that 2,000 men would die easily. How dumb is Balon?

Also Rodrik and all northerners, SHUT UP. Yeah Eddard was nice to Theon. and if His dad revolted Eddard would kill him. He raised him with his own kids, and would remove Theon's head from his neck for a crime he didn't commit. God what assholes. 

No way of holding wf he should have sent 500 men to drag theon, the Stark princes and anything that wasn't nailed down back home.

But then why say you want winterfell? Also they had a river route to Torren Square, which isn't too far from winterfell. They would have continued to supply Theon in Winterfell. 

Water is wet.

In other news water is wet and Greyjoys are idiots. Like father like son. Also what is the point of holding winterfell?

Is this a case of "great minds think alike", or "there is only one obvious response to someone who says 'Balon Greyjoy is an idiot'"? :)

Personally, I think Balon's problems have as much to do with being delusional as being an idiot. Really, his failure is overdetermined...

But then why say you want winterfell? Also they had a river route to Torren Square, which isn't too far from winterfell. They would have continued to supply Theon in Winterfell. 

WF isn't anything special it's just a strong castle too far to easily supply or hold. It's just better to torch, loot and run the ironborn way. Until they hold more of the North. Not that Balon could ever hold the North with his small army.

Is this a case of "great minds think alike", or "there is only one obvious response to someone who says 'Balon Greyjoy is an idiot'"? :)

Personally, I think Balon's problems have as much to do with being delusional as being an idiot. Really, his failure is overdetermined...

That, or "fools seldom differ" maybe? 

WF isn't anything special it's just a strong castle too far to easily supply or hold. It's just better to torch, loot and run the ironborn way. Until they hold more of the North. Not that Balon could ever hold the North with his small army.

According to AWOIAF the Iron Islands could raise up to 20 K. They could hold it since most of the North's manpower was down south. But we got Balon to destroy a perfectly good effort.

According to AWOIAF the Iron Islands could raise up to 20 K. They could hold it since most of the North's manpower was down south. But we got Balon to destroy a perfectly good effort.

It needs to be more than 20k to crew the stupid amount of ships they have. But spreading your men over the land 1/3 the size of Westeros is asking them to die. Especially when you need to hold a hostile land on the brink of a multi year winter that is harsh for the natives.

It needs to be more than 20k to crew the stupid amount of ships they have. But spreading your men over the land 1/3 the size of Westeros is asking them to die. Especially when you need to hold a hostile land on the brink of a multi year winter that is harsh for the natives.

Which is why its even more stupid on Balon's part. Theres no Gold, no real prize. Join Robb and raid the Westerlands and reach, or tell him to go f himself. Heck declare yourself king of the iron islands, and tell theon that they only want water bases. They could have raided the Reach, Westerlands and the North. Tell him to sack winterfell instead of sounding like you want winterfell. Burn the Lannister and Reach fleets, and there would be no navy to stop you. 

Which is why its even more stupid on Balon's part. Theres no Gold, no real prize. Join Robb and raid the Westerlands and reach, or tell him to go f himself. Heck declare yourself king of the iron islands, and tell theon that they only want water bases. They could have raided the Reach, Westerlands and the North. Tell him to sack winterfell instead of sounding like you want winterfell. Burn the Lannister and Reach fleets, and there would be no navy to stop you. 

All dangerous but better than what Balon did do. I would invade the North but never take a crown then ask the eventual winner for some of the lands along the west coast of the North and riverlands for being such a good and useful vassal.

Came here to say that

I prefer to think great minds think alike but I am biased in this regard. :P

All dangerous but better than what Balon did do. I would invade the North but never take a crown then ask the eventual winner for some of the lands along the west coast of the North and riverlands for being such a good and useful vassal.

Teaming up with the lannisters ah? well that could be useful too. Lets not forget, Honorable Ned Stark in AGOT was going to force Balon to fight for him. He told his men to keep Theon close. Whenever i hear people complain about the Ironborn attacking Robb, all i can think about is, "well when the Iron islands wanted independence, the North helped put their rebellion down".  So did the Lannisters, and the Tullys, and the Ayrrns and the Tyrells. I'd just set shit on fire and watch it burn. 

Archived