Would you be upset of Jon Snow was a Dayne instead of a Targaryen?

Colton Casados-Medve

I really hope the TV show reveal RLJ before TWoW. I want to see how the anti-RLJ crowd will struggle with that until TWoW comes out.

I recall reading one comment saying that the show might do RLJ as a sort of favor to GRRM. :rolleyes:

---

As to the OP's question, I wouldn't be too terribly upset if it turns out that AD+L=J. I'll be surprised of course. But if I had to pick one alternative to RLJ that I can see working, AD+L=J is my choice. There's enough sword symbolism around Jon to make him work as a Dayne. I don't think it's unreasonable to interpret sword symbolism as meaning Dayne either, since there is a sword on their sigil.

I'm a long time fantasy reader as well. The problem with A+L=J is that there are still too many holes to patch.

I'd wonder why Jon couldn't have any contact with the Daynes. I'd also question why there were three KG at the ToJ instead of with Viserys and Dany. 

Arthur + Lyanna = Jon is a nice idea, but I don't see extensive evidence for it.

That's my point though.  We've got too much more ground to cover still in the books. 

Okay, if I were arguing this theory (which I'm not really, just admitting the possibility): there were three KG at ToJ because Lyanna was the most important hostage in the war, she couldn't be moved because she was pregnant, and they couldn't spare an army to protect her.   I do think people forget how important she was as a hostage to trade off for the royal family if they lost.  The other two KG might even have been there knowing they might have to fight Arthur, who wouldn't leave her so close to birth.  One thing that does make sense in this theory is why she was in Dorne.  She ran off with Arthur and somehow messages got switched or messed up.  Regarding contacting the Daynes - if Arthur married her, he had seriously violated his KG vows and his own reputation.  Ned seems to have respected Dayne and the Daynes might have felt grateful to him for protecting that rep by taking Jon. Last thing to remember is that Lyanna's abduction or flight started the war and all the killing that went with it.  Thousands, possibly a hundred thousand, died because of her - and for a mistake if it were Arthur, or if she went willingly with Rhaegar. If I were her, I'd want Ned's promise that the symbol of that - Jon - was taken as far away as possible under a different name.  

You are right that there are more holes to patch than R&L=J.  There are not too many though.  I am just reserving judgment until we know more.

THIS

Jon doesn't need to be a Targaryen or a Dayne to be awesome, he is cool the way he is.  

Completely agree. Personally, I think Jon would be a more interesting character if he were just Ned's ordinary bastard, but I know I'm probably in the minority. Glad someone agrees though.

I would love it if GRRM has fooled the whole world into believing R+L=J while actually he was born to someone else - Except... If it turned out that he was actually Ned's bastard anyway. I would dislike that, because there are so many clues to the opposite.

If he turned out to be Asharas child rather than Lyannas, I would love it. But Arhur Dayne his father? Hmm well, I suppose I could live with that too, although I think AD was one who believed in his vows. I consider it very unlikely.

Arthur Dayne has been mentioned once through 5 seasons and that was when Jaime and Joffrey were going through the White Book and was mentioned for all of 2 seconds.  Ashara Dayne has yet to be mentioned and no other Dayne has been mentioned, hell even Dawn hasn't been mentioned.  Rhaegar and Lyanna are mentioned about once per season and in Ep 4 of season 5 they talked several times about Rhaegar.  We'll learn more in season 6.  

Yes, I've heard they're casting for a young Ned so possibly a TOJ or Harrenhal tourney.

I'd be more or less okay with Ashara and Ned, but Arthur and Lyanna would make no sense to me whatsoever. The important connection has always been made between Lyanna and Rhaegar, not Lyanna and Arthur. Besides, Rhaegar left his wife, children and insane father, so his best friend Arthur could have had a fling with a chick he likes? Does not seem likely to me.

What is the appeal of that theory, anyway? Is it anybody-but-that-awful-Rhaegar? Do people want Jon to be the Sword of the Morning, in which case Arthur's paternity would improve his chances considerably?

I mean, Lyanna and Arthur (likely) happened to be at the same location at the time of Jon's conception, but the same is true of Oswell Whent and Gerold Hightower. Still, I haven't yet seen anyone to pass them into the role of Jon's bio father, although both Whent and Hightower come from families with interesting history, too (Whents are tied to Harrenhall, Hightowers to Oldtown, the Citadel, they've got the Mad Maid, etc.).

Lastly, why would the author go through all these troubles with secret parentage if Jon's parents were a Stark and a Dayne, after all? Why not let him be the love child of Ned and Ashara? I'd say that Ashara's son and Arthur's nephew would still have a very good chance to get Dawn in case he proved himself during the Long Night.

I give anybody who believes it one thing, though. It's still superior to that one time shockingly popular notion that Jon's parent are Lyanna and Mance Rayder.

Dawn is a misdirection. Even if that sword played some part in the First Long Night, I don't think it will have any part in the Second Long Night.

Wouldn't shock me if the Dayne's turn out to far less important than many fan believe. Their part in the story thus far is quite small and when you consider that Darkstar has had far more 'page time' than the rest of the Dayne's combined I see little reason to think Arthur will supplant Rhaegar as the father after so many clues point to Rhaegar. If GRRM has to explain the end he has failed, great books explain themselves. I would think its stupid if this were to happen & so would many who do not realize it..

I'm gonna laugh forever if we find out in Season 6 of the show that Lyanna and Rhaegar are Jon's parents and during one of the interviews, D&D say "this is the question Martin asked us and we answered right!" only to have book 6 reveal a couple of months later that either Arthur or Ashara is one of the parents :lmao:

Martin asked them who is the mother and not who are the parents. They guessed correctly it is Lyanna and maybe they assumed Rhaegar was a father without giving it a second thought. Martin also told them about Shireen and we all know how D&D interpreted that  :frown5:   

I prefer Jon as a Targ, because I am House Targaryen fan. The more secret Targs the better  :)

But I wouldn't be upset if he is a Dayne, because I am already heavily leaning towards Arthur+Lyanna and heretic's X+L=J project convinced me even more. At this point I am almost expecting A+L=J reveal. 

No matter how I wish he is Arthur's son, still, there is zero chance for him to be Arthur's son. 

Guys, let us face it. 

The whole House Dayne was created mainly to cover the RLJ story. Nothing else. They are not important. 

If Rhaegar did not leave any child in the current world, what is the point to mention him again and again and again?

No matter how I wish he is Arthur's son, still, there is zero chance for him to be Arthur's son. 
Guys, let us face it. 
The whole House Dayne was created mainly to cover the RLJ story. Nothing else. They are not important. 
If Rhaegar did not leave any child in the current world, what is the point to mention him again and again and again?

If the Daynes are unimportant, then why does GRRM keep their house motto a secret because it would give too much away?

If the Daynes are unimportant, then why does GRRM keep their house motto a secret because it would give too much away?

I think this means sword Dawn may play some role (maybe in Jon's hands) in the future.

But Dayne people like Arthur and Ashara are really not as important as many people think. 

Definitely not the parents of Jon Snow.

maybe I should say they are not that important, wrong word. :)

Guys, let us face it. 

'I hate Rhaegar, Arthur Is cooler' is the rationale behind all this, I've read many theories & they all have two things in common. They're imaginative & include little to no quotes from the books, strong theories are based on the content on the pages, not personal favoritism..

Archived