Questions Regarding Book 1 (Spoilers upto end of Book 1)

Andorion

I have just finished read Book 1 A Game of Thrones and I have finished watching season 1 of the same show.

I have a few questions:

1. Daenerys, Dragons and Magic: There are several aspects to this

a. Dany's stillborn child apparently had the scales, tail and wings of a dragon. Assuming this is true, as she didn't see it, was it a result of her close proximity to the eggs?

b. How did Dany survive the fire unharmed at the end of Book 1? There are multiple references to Dragons beings immune to fire. As far as I know Targaryens once tamed and rode dragons. Did they gain some draconic powers and are they manifesting in Dany now? 

2. The Significance of the Direwolves: When Sansa's letter arrives at Kings landing Robb points out there is no mention of Arya. Bran comments that Sansa has lost her wolf. 

a. Do the wolves signify something like a loyalty to the House of Stark and Sansa is losing her connection? If so, what of Arya who had to send Nymeria away to save her life?

b. When the news of Neds death comes by Raven to Winterfell the Direwolves start howling. How do they sense and react to the message before it has been opened and read?

3. Tyrell and Renley:  In the show the gay relationship between Tyrell and Renley is pretty clear.In the book its not even hinted at. Is it in the book at all?

4. Do we ever get to see Asshai by the Shadow? Seems to be a source of a lot of magic.

Thats all for now. Hoping for some answers! :)

Thats all for now. Hoping for some answers! :)

Hi and welcome to the forum!

1a) Interesting idea about the eggs, but I don't think that there is any truth to it. Remember that Mirri said "you knew the price"... for me this indicates that Mirri sacrificed Dany's unborn child to keep Drogo alive. It was black magic.

1b) It is true that Targaryens are less sensitive to heat than normal people. that said, they are NOT immune to fire. the hatching of the dragons was a kind of miraculous or magical event.

2a) I will not comment on this, sorry, because I would have to spoil you. Let me put it that way... yeah, there definitely is a connection between the Starks and their direwolves.

2b) We don't really know that. some kind of magical bond to their owners, I guess.

3a) there are subtle hints. didn't pick them up myself, though, only read about them at this forum

3b) GRRM said that we won't have a POV character there, but it is definitely a very important place nonetheless.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

1a) Interesting idea about the eggs, but I don't think that there is any truth to it. Remember that Mirri said "you knew the price"... for me this indicates that Mirri sacrificed Dany's unborn child to keep Drogo alive. It was black magic.

1b) It is true that Targaryens are less sensitive to heat than normal people. that said, they are NOT immune to fire. the hatching of the dragons was a kind of miraculous or magical event.

2a) I will not comment on this, sorry, because I would have to spoil you. Let me put it that way... yeah, there definitely is a connection between the Starks and their direwolves.

2b) We don't really know that. some kind of magical bond to their owners, I guess.

3a) there are subtle hints. didn't pick them up myself, though, only read about them at this forum

3b) GRRM said that we won't have a POV character there, but it is definitely a very important place nonetheless.

Thanx for the reply!

So Dany surviving unscathed was a one-off incident and she can be harmed by fire. Incidentally have the dragons imprinted/bonded with her?

I forgot to ask this question: Ned wrote a letter to Stannis asking him to take the throne and detailed the bastardy-incest. In the book it is mentioned that this messenger was killed. In the show this messenger is not referred to later.

So did the message get through in the show? Because if it didn't, the incest secret is safe again. 

So Dany surviving unscathed was a one-off incident and she can be harmed by fire. Incidentally have the dragons imprinted/bonded with her?

yeah, it was a one-off incident (GRRM said so himself) and yes, she could theoretically be burned. is there a bondage between her and the dragons? well, I guess you will have to keep reading. :)

regarding Stannis... everything will be a lot clearer after the first episode of season 2 / the first chapter of the second book.

Archived