Oldtown will fall- Opinions?

watson98

Mel has a vision in aDwD of falling towers and the sea (I won't go over old info because that will just be annoying, but there is plenty of material here and there regarding this vision) and it's commonly taken as a vision of Oldtown being taken by the Ironborn in WoW.

I personally believe this will happen 100%, and there are few things I take as 100% true on these forums :P

I'm interested to know if anyone else thinks that this will happen for certain? or if it might happen? or if it wont happen at all?

Idk what place its about but I can tell you she said it had 3 towers and the Hightower is just 1.

I think Dany will burn Oldtown because I think Oldtown will swear for Aegon and 300 years ago the High Septon convinced the Hightowers to bend the knee to Aegon because he said if they didn't bow to the dragon Oldtown would burn. Well Aegons a fake and they are not going to bow to Dany so Oldtown will burn.

The 'three towers' could be Moat Cailin, there are three towers and if you're bringing an army up the Neck you have to get passed MC. OR it could be a literal thing, Three Towers is the seat of House Costayne (bannermen of House Tyrell), located "It sits on a cliff on the southern shore of Whispering Sound, almost where the sound meets the Redwyne Straits."

The 'three towers' could be Moat Cailin, there are three towers and if you're bringing an army up the Neck you have to get passed MC. OR it could be a literal thing, Three Towers is the seat of House Costayne (bannermen of House Tyrell), located "It sits on a cliff on the southern shore of Whispering Sound, almost where the sound meets the Redwyne Straits."

Interesting theory - which could indicate the Ironborn trying to take not Oldtown, but the Reach. We know that House Tyrell are well provisioned, and as we move into winter the most valuable commodity will be food. Perhaps they see Highgarden as a pushover? With many of the Tyrells in King's Landing given Margaery's trial and Highgarden in the hands of Willas it is not unreasonable to see the Tyrell family seat as a target.  A small portion of the fleet could be sent to take Three Towers to make it appear that the main target is Oldtown - a decent target - while Euron takes part of the fleet up the Mander to Highgarden.  It would repeat the tactics Balon used when he invaded the North, in splitting up his forces and moving to more than one target - in that case Deepwood Motte and Moat Cailin. 

As for Oldtown generally, I am looking forward to WoW and seeing how the Oldtown arc unfolds.  Over the last couple of books or so, it has been mentioned more and more - in AFFC, the book begins and ends in Oldtown, linking the city with Sam, Daenerys (through Marwyn) and possibly the Martell arc (if, as we suspect, Alleras=Sarella); Cersei is told that Tyrion has been sighted in an Oldtown brothel; we are introduced to Satin at the Wall and it is repeatedly hammered into us that he is from Old Town (I have never counted exactly, but it feels as if Oldtown is mentioned in relation to Satin more than any place is mentioned in relation to a specific member of the NW, save Jon being linked to Winterfell and perhaps Sam to Horn Hill); the Hightowers are set up with a hint of mystery and their links to magic mentioned - at a time when magic is starting to become prominent again - links I find interesting given that the Citadel seems so opposed to magic. 

Idk what place its about but I can tell you she said it had 3 towers and the Hightower is just 1.

I think Dany will burn Oldtown because I think Oldtown will swear for Aegon and 300 years ago the High Septon convinced the Hightowers to bend the knee to Aegon because he said if they didn't bow to the dragon Oldtown would burn. Well Aegons a fake and they are not going to bow to Dany so Oldtown will burn.

From where are you getting the three towers thing? Mel just mentions towers in plural and there are more than enough Hightowers in Oldtown to fall in battle.

But I do agree that Oldtown will declare for Aegon, and I love the idea of Dany burning it as the High Septon said the Conqueror would. That's a great catch and an idea I hadn't seen before.

Oldtown is likely too hard a target for the Ironborn. They just want to loot, and they can get equal or better pickings nearby without the risk of assaulting Oldtown.

I don't think Euron is anywhere near Oldtown. He wants Dany and her dragons, and he's too smart to trust Victarion. Euron is trailing Vic with most of Vic's missing ships. (Vic may not be too bright, but he's a good sailor. When he thought that more of his ships should have made it to the Isle of Cedars, he was right.) Euron has already demonstrated that he can lure Victarion's captains into his own circle.

Euron has set Victarion up. When Vic has the horn blown, he'll become dragon chow rather quickly. Then Euron will swoop in. Of course, he hasn't accounted for Tyrion and Moqorro. (The Red Priests have no intention of letting anyone steal Dany's dragons. Moqorro is on Team Dany. Vic is a fool to trust him.)

Why does everyone think Euron will succeed in everything he tries to do? So far he has only achieved anything by using surprise and attacking relatively weak opponents, Oldtown is strong and prepared.

B/c concealed within his eyepatch the Lord of Pyke sees ALL.  His gaze pierces shadow, cloud, earth, and flesh.  He is gathering all dragons to him.  Very soon he will have summoned an army great enough to launch and attack upon the corpse of Westeros.

I don't think Euron cares about conquering and holding Oldtown but more about looting and leaving.  I feel like he and Jaqen/Pate are after the same magical item/text hidden in the Hightower, whether working together or at cross purposes I couldn't say.

Also we get from Sam's POV that Ironmen disguised as Tyroshi very nearly got in to Oldtown and opened the gates for others but were thwarted by some random Tyroshi speaker.

Battle of Oldtown get HYPE

Interesting theory - which could indicate the Ironborn trying to take not Oldtown, but the Reach. We know that House Tyrell are well provisioned, and as we move into winter the most valuable commodity will be food. Perhaps they see Highgarden as a pushover? With many of the Tyrells in King's Landing given Margaery's trial and Highgarden in the hands of Willas it is not unreasonable to see the Tyrell family seat as a target.

Highgarden is not a pushover, as we know from TWOIAF.

If not Oldtown, what are the alternative possibilities? Could it represent the falling of Eastwatch and that part of the wall?  Thoughts?

I would say no to Eastwatch.

"...that is where the heaviest blow will fall.

'Eastwatch?'

Was it? Melisandre had seen Eastwatch-by-the-Sea with King Stannis...The towers in her fire had been different,but that was oft the way with visions.

'Yes. Eastwatch, my lord." -Melisandre, A Dance with Dragons

Mel pretty much just makes a wild guess there. She lets her obsession with the Wall cloud what the fire is actually trying to show her(whatever that may be), which is ironic seeing as that she herself explains that is why more novice Redpriests have problems interpreting what they see in their own fires.

Archived