Rant & Rave without repercussion S 5/S 6 speculation continued [book and show spoilers]

kissdbyfire

1. They "acknowledged" there were a lot of issues with S5 and their treatment of Sansa.

2. They announced S5 BluRay would have an animated feature about the Dance.

"We're sorry. We know it's wrong. Please, don't stop buying our stuff... to make it less bad, we include a new new hat!".

That is too good! :lol:

Here's the more recent quote. They never cross the line and are super artistic and all and it's critical for someone to "choose" to be raped by family killers to take revenge upon herself even though it didn't happen in the source material they are supposed to be adapting because that would be offensive nonsense.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/31/entertainment/hbo-game-of-thrones-snow-thr-feat/

They get a pass for a lot of things, but at the very minimum HBO should have said, wait, that makes no sense. If you are going to do something for shock factor, at least have it make a bit of sense.

If you are going to strip a female protagonist of her story, and have a villain say rape made her a woman after you cut the story where she became a woman on her own terms, at least don't pretend she chose this and blame her for getting in over her head because she couldn't sexually manipulate the villain (who she knew was a villain, they all knew).

I quoted this before, but that's what they did (and note, they never call it rape):

The showrunner/writer, Benioff (who even puts the burden of trauma on her, if she'd only listen to the man who caused the trauma, she could become strong):

"She’s been traumatized by what she’s seen and she spent almost a couple years in shell shock. At a certain point she’s either going to die or survive and become stronger. She’s chosen the latter option and she’s learned from an incredibly devious teacher in Littlefinger."

The showrunner/writer, Weiss:

"She can see the logic behind what he's saying and realize that this is an unpleasant but probably necessary step in getting back what was taken from her. She’s going into this dangerous, difficult situation where she thinks she’s going to guide the situation. The only thing she doesn’t know, that even Littlefinger doesn’t know, is exactly what Ramsay is."

The producer/writer, Cogman:

"This is a hardened woman making a choice and she sees this as the way to get back her homeland. Sansa has a wedding night in the sense she never thought she would with one of the monsters of the show. It’s pretty intense and awful and the character will have to deal with it."

The director, Podeswa:

"She’s a very strong woman and she’s entered into this situation that she thinks she can handle... It's a situation she actually cannot really control, and she’s in deeper than she thinks she’s going to be. And I think from a dramatic point of view those things are very, very strong."

Here's the more recent quote. They never cross the line and are super artistic and all and it's critical for someone to "choose" to be raped by family killers to take revenge upon herself even though it didn't happen in the source material they are supposed to be adapting because that would be offensive nonsense.

They get a pass for a lot of things, but at the very minimum HBO should have said, wait, that makes no sense. If you are going to do something for shock factor, at least have it make a bit of sense.

If you are going to strip a female protagonist of her story, and have a villain say rape made her a woman after you cut the story where she became a woman on her own terms, at least don't pretend she chose this and blame her for getting in over her head because she couldn't sexually manipulate the villain (who she knew was a villain, they all knew).

I quoted this before, but that's what they did (and note, they never call it rape):

The showrunner/writer, Benioff (who even puts the burden of trauma on her, if she'd only listen to the man who caused the trauma, she could become strong):

"She’s been traumatized by what she’s seen and she spent almost a couple years in shell shock. At a certain point she’s either going to die or survive and become stronger. She’s chosen the latter option and she’s learned from an incredibly devious teacher in Littlefinger."

"She can see the logic behind what he's saying and realize that this is an unpleasant but probably necessary step in getting back what was taken from her. She’s going into this dangerous, difficult situation where she thinks she’s going to guide the situation. The only thing she doesn’t know, that even Littlefinger doesn’t know, is exactly what Ramsay is."

"This is a hardened woman making a choice and she sees this as the way to get back her homeland. Sansa has a wedding night in the sense she never thought she would with one of the monsters of the show. It’s pretty intense and awful and the character will have to deal with it."

The director, Podeswa:

"She’s a very strong woman and she’s entered into this situation that she thinks she can handle... It's a situation she actually cannot really control, and she’s in deeper than she thinks she’s going to be. And I think from a dramatic point of view those things are very, very strong."

The director, Podeswa:

Try as I might, I just can't see the logic of her marrying Ramsay Bolton.  If it were a case of marrying a Manderly, an Umber, or some other family determined to bring down the Boltons, and restore the Starks, that would make sense, even if it's a departure from the books.

But, the books make the most sense of all.  Staying in the Vale, which has hardly been touched by the war, has excellent natural defences, and can field a large army, with a view to winning its allegiance, and then seeking revenge for the wrongs done to her family, would be the most sensible course.

I have the gut feeling that they are going to make Sansa's story even more unrealistic and I have no doubt that she will be under Littlefinger's control at the end of the season, one way or another.

Naa. Sansa will 'become a badass' at some point, making the rape worth it. Maybe not in season 6, but at some point they will have Sansa score a victory that she could only have "earned" by being raped. That's how they'll turn the criticism around on people, by making rape seem like something that can be worth it if you just suck it up and endure.

Ok... I haven't posted in this thread, but I've read almost all of the R&R threads since season four.

I was just re-watching the Legend of Korra, and in episode eight, where Varrik is retelling the story of Nuktuk (Bolyn) I could not stop thinking how this is exactly how D&D told the story of ASOIAF.

"Oh yeah, and he turns into a dragon, goes into the spirit world and saves the avatar."

Sorry. Carry on.

EDIT: I forgot the best part Bolyn says "This doesn't make any sense, you guys LIKE this?" At the end of the convoluted tale with a made up protagonist.

LOL and Hello!!!!!!

These sneaky little shits, they are trying to get me to spend money on their horror show by dangling the Pedro Purtty, voice and all?  :tantrum:

Try as I might, I just can't see the logic of her marrying Ramsay Bolton.  If it were a case of marrying a Manderly, an Umber, or some other family determined to bring down the Boltons, and restore the Starks, that would make sense, even if it's a departure from the books.

But, the books make the most sense of all.  Staying in the Vale, which has hardly been touched by the war, has excellent natural defences, and can field a large army, with a view to winning its allegiance, and then seeking revenge for the wrongs done to her family, would be the most sensible course.

Because there isn't any. What actions was she supposed to take to seize control of the situation? How could she take any power at all with no men of her own? More importantly, even if Ramsay was a pussycat, LF and Sansa and everybody else knows that Roose Bolton at the very least is ruthless, cold blooded and murderous; he was hardly likely to take kindly to Sansa trying to become a viper at his breast.

The "unpleasant but probably necessary step" is total bullshit and you won't even find the die hard fans defending it on the grounds of the internal plot. Whenever criticism rears its head, the go to response is to claim that it was necessary for the adaption, which is a separate issue, never that this was a sensible storyline in of itself.

I know Right, we got St Tyrion instead of the Greedy, sleazy Goblin Tyrion really is. He does have some goodness in him but he is no Saint. Cersei though, turning her into "Carol". She is the one that ruthlessly had Robert's children hunted and murdered, including an infant. On the show, they knew there was no way around Joff being evil, so they put that on him. Their bias for the Lannisters is clear as day.

Everytime I hear someone talk about Carol, a joke pops up in my mind that I feel is hilarious and need to share. So please indulge me for a moment, to make a theatre joke. Those who know the musical Pippin, might be able to grasp what I'm getting at, but for those who aren't, that's what the links are for. Do enjoy.

They want her to be:

"just your average, ordinary kind of woman. Practical as salt, modest to a fault. Conservative with a budget, liberal with a meal. Just your average ideal."

When really she's just wants to:

"spread a little sunshine." because after all she's "just an ordinary housewife and mother... just like all you housewives and mothers out there."

Archived