Wise Man's Fear XI

Michael Seswatha Jordan

Given that Rothfluss has said that this will be the end of Kvothes story, I can't see him living out much beyond the third day, tbh. I thought the best ending for him seems to be a return to Ferulian, there to shag his way to death.

I'm kinda surprised that he's still at the University, actually.

On 7-8-2016 at 11:17 PM, Gaston de Foix said:

I'm not thrilled by Rothfuss dismissing questions about Book 3 as "the internet's expectations".  Doing a good job of managing fan's expectations (and communicating with them) is an author's responsibility. 

I noticed that barb as well, As if it is the internet, and the people on it, who are exclusively interested in his next book.

It's not limited to the Internet, Pat.

On 19/08/2016 at 1:36 PM, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Kvothe, sure. Probably not Kote, though.

Exactly

19 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I noticed that barb as well, As if it is the internet, and the people on it, who are exclusively interested in his next book.

It's not limited to the Internet, Pat.

It's something he probably shouldn't have said but he may just have been pointing out how the volume of internet chatter doesn't necessrily reflect every readers' views. Even if it's not the consensus it usually means there are more readers out there feeling that way so it's not something he should dismiss. I wonder if they keep the same attitude regarding massive online fans? Given the pages dedicated to his two books here does he think "internet exclusive".

If Rothfuss wants his fans to be understanding and supportive - the best way to achieve that is to ask for our understanding and support.  Treat us like adults, and hey what do you know,  maybe we'll behave like adults. Pretending our interest doesn't exist, or depersonalizing his fans as the "internet's expectations" pisses me off.  I enjoy his books, and a few years ago I devoted a fair bit of time to exploring this world he built. But it's not a one-way street: I've bought multiple copies, recommended the books to my friends, and generally admired his work.

You look at the other talents of his generation: Sanderson, Abercrombie etc etc, and they don't fall into a dysfunctional relationship with their fans (or a subset). Not sure why Rothfuss thinks its a good idea to start on this path.  

Yeah, I've mentioned it before, but it isn't the fact that he takes a while to write that bothers me about Rothfuss, it's his attitude. Plus, the lying about it being all done. Also there some, eh, women treatment issues but that's weirdly mostly stuff he does outside his books, and that's a conversation for a time when I have less work to do.

21 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah, I've mentioned it before, but it isn't the fact that he takes a while to write that bothers me about Rothfuss, it's his attitude. Plus, the lying about it being all done. Also there some, eh, women treatment issues but that's weirdly mostly stuff he does outside his books, and that's a conversation for a time when I have less work to do.

Yup I agree with you here. What is wrong with Rothfuss is that he acts as if the book doesn't exist.The last I saw him mentioning it was when he said the TSROST isn't book 3 2 years ago.

On 22/08/2016 at 2:54 AM, Gaston de Foix said:

If Rothfuss wants his fans to be understanding and supportive - the best way to achieve that is to ask for our understanding and support.  Treat us like adults, and hey what do you know,  maybe we'll behave like adults. Pretending our interest doesn't exist, or depersonalizing his fans as the "internet's expectations" pisses me off.  I enjoy his books, and a few years ago I devoted a fair bit of time to exploring this world he built. But it's not a one-way street: I've bought multiple copies, recommended the books to my friends, and generally admired his work.

You look at the other talents of his generation: Sanderson, Abercrombie etc etc, and they don't fall into a dysfunctional relationship with their fans (or a subset). Not sure why Rothfuss thinks its a good idea to start on this path.  

the authors you mention - and I'd probably include Daniel Abraham too could almost give workshops to other authors on how to handle fans

Why does it matter so much (at all?) if one finds an author unlikable or feels that they've handled reader expectation poorly?  Don't we just come for the work they produce? 

I am a fan of the books and am looking forward to Doors of Stone. As noted up-thread, it won't be fully satisfactory and I still feel that it can't get here soon enough.  To the extent that I've read Pat's blog and recent interviews, to say nothing of the dreadfully indulgent author's note within Slow Regard for Silent Things, he comes across as self-congratulatory and patronizing.  The picture he chose for his profile on Goodreads kinda reinforces this notion. 

But so what?  What are we saying here? "This guy who writes well enough for me to care about his work seems like he might be someone I wouldn't like too much in person."  "I wish this thing that is pretty good was even better." ??

I still want to read what he does write, when it finally arrives, and to come here to discuss it.  Nothing aside from that really matters too much.

I've read the thread mostly as saying 1) that it's irksome that Rothfuss sold the books as "finished" when they were nothing of the kind and that 2) while he's allowed to complain about fans asking him about the book and putting pressure on him, it's pressure he has asked for in not finishing his books while selling them as finished. 

Now, compare that to Lynch, who has been open about the reasons for his delays (after a while, anyway - not an easy subject), and trusted his audience to respect that. Lo and behold, the Lynch thread isn't a place where people make jokes about his missed deadlines. 

For me, I stopped following Pat's blog some time ago, because I wanted to know about the book - and he never discussed it. I'll read it if it arrives, I spend next to nothing thinking about it, but I do think that pointing out - in a thread on a book board - that he's doing himself no favours isn't entitlement. It's basically saying straight out that Rothfuss isn't doing a good job presenting his case. 

Which he isn't. 

He'll finish the book or he won't - his decision. He's still handled the interaction with readers re: deadlines poorly. 

On 8/21/2016 at 9:54 PM, Gaston de Foix said:

Rothfuss has chosen the Martin path to missing deadlines. Forever will it dominate his destiny.

Someone will pop in with (or already have) "Rothfuss is not your bitch" but I think it's just as stupid to apply here as to Martin.

7 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Rothfuss has chosen the Martin path to missing deadlines. Forever will it dominate his destiny.

Someone will pop in with (or already have) "Rothfuss is not your bitch" but I think it's just as stupid to apply here as to Martin.

I'll be that guy.  I want the next book as much as anyone, however, he wrote a book, I happened to buy it and like it.  This does not constitute a contract whereby he owes me ANYTHING in the way of interaction or fan service or another book or even a thank you.  If he does, that's nice, however, it'll be out when it's out is good enough for me, until then it isn't like the world is lacking enough content in terms of TV, books or film or music for me to entertain myself with.

1 hour ago, scortius the charioteer said:

ed to buy it and like it.  This does not constitute a contract whereby he owes me ANYTHING in the way of interaction or fan service or another book or even a thank you.  If he does, that's nice, however, it'll be out when it's out is good enough for me, until then it isn't like the world is lacking enough content in terms of TV, books or film or music for me to entertain myself with.

Edited 1 hour ago by scortius the charioteer

I think if an author isn't going to finish a series any time soon or at all, he should tell his fans.

Otherwise, I agree.

I did not mean to imply he was my bitch in any way. He can take as long as he needs/wants to with the book, its his attitude towards his fans that I find annoying. Well, his whole attitude i particular. You mentioned entitled, which is funny, cause that's the first word that comes to mind when I think of Rothfuss. Keep in mind this is all my opinion, but to me he acts like everyone should worship the ground he walks on and love everything he does because he wrote a book that sold well. I also find some of his comments on the females in his books and heck females in general to be mildly offensive at points. None of this means I won't buy and read book 3, but I'm not exactly going to sing his praises either.

Er, end of rant.

The one that stands out in my mind is when someone asked him what Denna's cupsize was on an AMA and he went into way too much detail about it and all his other female characters, and it was just..icky. There's also the hobbit thing mentioned above. He gets away with it because...popularity? I dunno. Can you image if Bakker started talking about the cup size of his characters? The forum would crash.

Archived