Wise Man's Fear XI

Michael Seswatha Jordan

3 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

The Cthaeth so far is just some lame garden of Eden serpent bs.  

The difference is that while there is the temptation of knowledge, the Garden of Eden story is about disobedience to God's command, whereas the point of the Cthaeh is the real, existing (and continuing) threat that having this knowledge poses to the world itself. If it is the Biblical Serpent, it's the Serpent who has set up shop on post-Eden Earth and has mastered Quantum Physics. 

I think it's the best part of Wise Man's Fear.

3 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

The thing is, how would you KNOW it was making the worst of all possible outcomes?

It could just say that and you'd have no way of knowing.

Simple - have the Fae be aware of the Cthaeh's origin, and how it operates at a metaphysical level. You don't need to actually take its word for it.

14 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Which is exactly how the book was purchased by the publisher and then marketed to the consumer. Rothfuss may not be my bitch, but he is a bitch.

As I've said Rothfuss and his claims of completion make him, in my opinion, more open to criticism than others.  That said I've enjoyed what he has written and am quite willing to wait patiently for more of it to arrive.  He should never have claimed to be finished and able to deliver as quickly as he did.  Nevertheless, we are where we are.  

How is flaying the author for poorly thought out words early in this process going to help this situation?

12 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

As I've said Rothfuss and his claims of completion make him, in my opinion, more open to criticism than others.  That said I've enjoyed what he has written and am quite willing to wait patiently for more of it to arrive.  He should never have claimed to be finished and able to deliver as quickly as he did.  Nevertheless, we are where we are.  

How is flaying the author for poorly thought out words early in this process going to help this situation?

I rather doubt anything people say either way on the internet is going to 'help the situation' Scot. Nevertheless Rothfuss and other published authors are in the business of selling their books and readers as their customers are free to criticise the product/service they're receiving if they want.

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I rather doubt anything people say either way on the internet is going to 'help the situation' Scot. Nevertheless Rothfuss and other published authors are in the business of selling their books and readers as their customers are free to criticise the product/service they're receiving if they want.

Yes, and why do it if it doesn't help the process of getting the book?  It seems, to me, fairly juvenile and entitled to stomp around demanding the completion of a work of art.

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yes, and why do it if it doesn't help the process of getting the book?  It seems, to me, fairly juvenile and entitled to stomp around demanding the completion of a work of art.

You accuse someone of being juvenile and then expect a non-juvenile response to your question? It seems pretty natural to me that people get mad/sad/upset what have you when prior expectations are not met. Nothing juvinile or entitled about that. 

1 minute ago, unJon said:

You accuse someone of being juvenile and then expect a non-juvenile response to your question? It seems pretty natural to me that people get mad/sad/upset what have you when prior expectations are not met. Nothing juvinile or entitled about that. 

And getting mad and shouty on social media helps the situation, how?  

10 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

And getting mad and shouty on social media helps the situation, how?  

False syllogism. 

I'll toss one back at you: posting on social media how you can wait patiently for the next book and don't have expectations on timing helps the situation how?

Just now, unJon said:

False syllogism. 

I'll toss one back at you: posting on social media how you can wait patiently for the next book and don't have expectations on timing helps the situation how?

It, hopefully, reduces the number of whiney entitled posts demanding the book be finished as people recognize they're being whiney and entitled.

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It, hopefully, reduces the number of whiney entitled posts demanding the book be finished as people recognize they're being whiney and entitled.

But that doesn't help the situation. Or at least you've now redefined situation since the implication of your question to others was that the "situation" was the gap in timing of books. 

But with your new definition of "situation" you are also hopeful but wrong. The "entitled" posts are cathartic for the person making them and will run course soon enough leading to a decline in the number of "whiny" posts over time. But (and this is the subtle part) when you come along with your posts on this topic you "stoke the fire" and make "the entitled" defend themselves, leading to an increase in such posts. 

^_^

24 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yes, and why do it if it doesn't help the process of getting the book? 

Catharsis, to warn other people considering buying his books or maybe just because they feel like it?

I don't really see the point of completely losing your shit because a book series is significantly delayed or perhaps unlikely to be finished but on the other hand I don't really see why you seem to object to people being understandably frustrated and expressing their frustration. It's not exactly an uncommon reaction for people to publicly express their dissatisfaction when they're unhappy with something they've paid for.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

UnJon,

So, the new plan is to threaten the writer's livelyhood until they finish the deaired work?  Nice, not entitled at all.

I don't follow. Did I do that anywhere? Not sure how this post helps the situation either, but that's probably beside the point. 

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

UnJon,

I missed your edit.  You originally included warning others away from the series as part of your "catharsis".

No I didn't. I think that's the post from ljkeene in between ours. My edit was fixing a typo. 

23 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Sperry,

"Chopped into three parts" impiles the work is completed and then divided, like the Lord of the Rings.  You and I both know that isn't how this works today.

Chopped into 3 parts can mean more than the arbitrary way you choose to explain it as.

I think most people would agree that Rotfuss'  trilogy, which has always been billed as a trilogy, is thus " a story in 3 parts".

Take away the whole "he said it was done and he fooled all his readers argument".  That is too easy, because yes he did, and yes, he his at fault, he did create false expectations. But even completely aside from that, if he or anyone else is billing a series as a trilogy and book 1 comes out and only tells a part of that story, I never understand how people like yourself come up with the viewpoint that there is no obligation on the author's part to complete, or that you should not have expectations of this story being finished in a timely manner. No one walked into reading The Name of The Wind 10 years ago thinking that the final book was more than a decade away Scott. If people had known that alone, it would have impacted sales. When you buy book 1 of a trilogy, you buy into the idea of the story being finished as well, and you're willing to pay for each book, but if that story is not being finished, most people don't even buy book 1.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

UnJon,

I missed your edit.  You originally included warning others away from the series as part of your "catharsis".

People should be warned if content takes a long time to be delivered and there is a past history of false claims etc. Buyer Beware and all that. 

What really turned me off from Rothfuss and his hardcore fans was the shit-talking on Harry Potter. I'm not even a huge fan of HP, but the snarky "this is HP for grownups" stuff that went on around the time of WMF's release felt in really poor taste. The book being a big bag of bullshit certainly didn't help, either.

Archived