Wise Man's Fear XI

Michael Seswatha Jordan

17 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

The analogy assumes you pay for the dessert at the end.

As a matter of contract formation, the offer (by the customer ordering the dish) isn't accepted until the restaurant delivers the food. 

43 minutes ago, unJon said:

As a matter of contract formation, the offer (by the customer ordering the dish) isn't accepted until the restaurant delivers the food. 

Yes, I know. I'm not talking in terms of legalities, but rather whether the customer has a right to be annoyed.

It seems to me this could all be alleviated by a simple comment from Rothfuss: "I know you're all eager to read it, I am working on it". I haven't seen any comments to refute the idea that he doesn't enjoy it and isn't actively working on it. Not that that's definitely what's happening, but it'd just be good to have some reassurance. I agree that feeling you are owed the book is wrong, but there seems to be the vague suggestion that Rothfuss is frustrated by people even wondering at all about it. I think just plain wondering where he's at with it is a legitimate feeling to have.

21 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I just get irritated when I see people assume that writing a book/story what have you is just something you can sit down and just DO. It's art, not baking.

The funny thing is, when you listen to "writer's advice" columns from writers who actually produce novels, the whole "just sit down and apply yourself, write, write, write" is a constant advice. Many times when you read an interview with an author, they ask the "what would you suggest to aspiring writers" question and this is always in there, so much that it simply becomes a truth. 

It's wrong to say that writing a novel is only a matter of sitting down and doing it, and not one that also requires inspiration, the muse, thoughts about how you are going to structure your work and what you want the characters to convey. All of that comes into play. But it's surely also wrong to suggest that sitting down and write, write, write, isn't also a big, big part of getting the job done. I know that much. Because the people who do it, say so all the time.

8 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Yes, I know. I'm not talking in terms of legalities, but rather whether the customer has a right to be annoyed.

Yes, I know. I was making your point for you (why it's analogous to the third book in a trilogy situation). 

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Calibander,

Sitting and writing may help but it will not, without more, allow for the completion of the work the author seeks to write.

It's not just going "to help" Scott, it's a major part of getting things done, or so say many established novelists. Let me add that you and Richard tend to exagerrate what a marvel and wonder it is to write a novel. People who haven't written one themselves should not even complain or judge what is in your mind a supreme being on a chair. Thousands and thousands of people finish and publish novels each year, but you say it is like watching Michelango paint the Sixteenth Chapel. This POV is crooked and deeply flawed.

Dedication and hard work gets the job done, but other factors are required as well, as I mentioned in the previous post.

The thing that many people question about Rothfuss is, given the immense delays of his book , is he actually doing that hard work? It seems like he is not. No one knows for sure. You also don't know that is actually doing his level best to write and complete it. It is completely natural to voice irritation about a long delayed book. It's more unfortunate that there are people like you who then complain that they just cannot understand why someone wants to read the end of a story he or she started 10 years ago. It's all so weird, apparently, people's desires. How dare they want? How dare they criticize the luminous author? 

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

This is more like ordering dessert, the server going to the kitchen to find there is none of what you ordered left, then leaving you sat waiting at your table without telling you there is none left

More like the waiter asking if you'd like dessert and then disappearing into the kitchen leaving you to wonder if s/he's coming back. Any attempts to ask if there is indeed any dessert coming merely results in other patrons shouting that the waiter is not your bitch or whiney. ;)

(luv and kisses to ya Scot) 

Archived