Wise Man's Fear XI

Michael Seswatha Jordan

15 hours ago, kuenjato said:

Just saw this... can anyone substantiate?

A couple of months ago, Rothfuss came up with a really ACE idea: you may donate money for his charity, and choose whether he should be spending more time writing or playing Fallout 4. 

When he first launched the poll, a bunch of fanboys voted for Fallout 4, then everything sort of changed and, go figure, the majority of the votes pointed in the opposite direction (finishing Doors of Stone, that is). 

Now, this is the really fucking funny as fuck bit: upon seeing what was going down, Rothfuss changed the poll itself, so the voters were "now" asked to choose between "Fallout 4" and "Everything else".

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.

Yes, it started out strong lean fall out 4, and yes he eventually changed the poll, but we never got to "things swung the other way". 

There were a couple of days where DoS got close to winning, and maybe even a couple where it did, but noting close to the huge majority that Fallout 4 was winning by.

26 minutes ago, Ninefingers said:

Yes, it started out strong lean fall out 4, and yes he eventually changed the poll, but we never got to "things swung the other way". 

There were a couple of days where DoS got close to winning, and maybe even a couple where it did, but noting close to the huge majority that Fallout 4 was winning by.

Based on your description it's not an exaggeration at all. What you quoted says "majority" not "huge majority" which is your one point of contention  

3 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

So wait.. DoS was winning, or it wasn't? That would indicate that things were swinging the other way. 

The fact that he changed it at all says enough, really.

On 21/09/2016 at 10:47 PM, kuenjato said:

So wait.. DoS was winning, or it wasn't? That would indicate that things were swinging the other way. 

The fact that he changed it at all says enough, really.

Is there a possibility the whole Fallout trolling was just a way to get more people to vote and donate to the charity? Assuming the charity wasn't the "Rothfuss Pocket Fund"? That kind of context would really change the interpretation. Even if that is the case it's still not the best PR if it's not obvious to everyone that's what he's really doing.

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

I don't think J.K. Rowling knows he exists.

I do think it's a little suspicious that Fallout won that poll on any day, given how anxious people are for the next book. In either case the charity is legit though. I don't think saying he's raising money for his "pocket fund" is very fair.

I wasn't trying to be unfair - I'm trying to say he maybe wasn't trolling fans and was trying to generate more donations. The "pocket-fund" comment was only on the off-chance it was for some personal project of his and not a good cause - I didn't/don't know what the charity was. The fact it is a legit good cause makes me think he really has just being playing off fans fears (and probably thought they'd get the joke).

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Oh I see what you were saying. Yeah I definitely think he uses his writing to manipulate fans into donating. See, for example, the video I posted a page or so back. he says he's going to talk about his "writing process" and instead boots up his laptop and plugs Worldbuilders for ten minutes.

I think in this case we should give him a pass then as he's clearly playing up to his audience for a good cause.

For all his success (and I assume wealth) he still seems to live and dress like a college student. As much as I give him crap, it's nice to see someone newly rich take it and build a solid charity. Most celebrities tend to do that in name only (generalizing here of course) but live like red carpet parties are a weekly occurrence.

Based off this:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lionsgate-wins-rights-fantasy-book-828557

He's sold more than ten million books, and is second only to Martin in modern epic fantasy sales. That likely means he's got a pretty healthy income from royalties, never mind the sale of rights.

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is Rothfuss rich?

I have a vague recollection of him matching several hundred thousand dollars (300k?, 500k?) of donations for one of his charity pushes. 

Everyone has a different definition of "rich", but I'm comfortable saying that he's in the top 1%.

EDIT: I googled around looking for what I was remembering and couldn't find it. Maybe I made that up. 

So, I happened upon a stream of Rothfuss playing Overwatch and I don't know why anyone would want to watch him play games. He's really terrible and it doesn't seem as if he responds to chat either. Then again, I suppose most people here wouldn't watch anyone play games.

And to preempt Scot, this is not a criticism of Rothfuss. Its wondering what his viewers get from watching him play. 

3 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

So, I happened upon a stream of Rothfuss playing Overwatch and I don't know why anyone would want to watch him play games. He's really terrible and it doesn't seem as if he responds to chat either. Then again, I suppose most people here wouldn't watch anyone play games.

And to preempt Scot, this is not a criticism of Rothfuss. Its wondering what his viewers get from watching him play. 

I have no idea why someone would want to watch an author play a game.  It seems a little too like watching your favorite celebrity be a judge on "America's Got Talent" to me.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2016 at 3:14 PM, Calibandar said:

Did we post this video yet of Rothfuss discussing his "work" on book 3?

It's very recent, to my surprise. He's quite open about how he prefers to spend time playing Fallout and actually says that most of his fans prefer to see him play Fallout as well. There's also a number of digs at fans who complained to him about the third book being so late. He seems to find it offensive to be asked about it, and also states that far too much attention is paid to a small minority of people who criticize his work effort, whereas presumable on his part, a larger majority of his fans is happy with his complete lack of either updates, or output.

A very odd man.

His podcast is rife with complaints about how offensive and irritating he finds fans' complaints/questions about the release of book 3.

He does seem to be a bit insufferable. Altruistic and philanthropic to be sure, but also an odd mix of hubris and insecurity.

Archived