Marvel Netflix - AKA the Second Thread

The BlackBear

I have to say that Finn Jones is either going to blew my mind (like Cox did) or I will hate him to a bitter end... There will be no middle grounds for this. I swear if I had to name 1000 people for the role of Iron Fist, he would have not made it. So, I am really waiting to see how he will do this.

Who would have thought that Jones will get a lead in Marvel/Netflix TV Universe, while Harington and Clarke doing such uninspired work in flop movies... Mysterious ways of Hollywood castings...

47 minutes ago, Risto said:

Who would have thought that Jones will get a lead in Marvel/Netflix TV Universe, while Harington and Clarke doing such uninspired work in flop movies... Mysterious ways of Hollywood castings...

For what it's worth Harrington and Clarke can't do anything that doesn't shoot in the Game of Thrones off season. I'm not saying Loras is going to die this season, but yeah he probably will. Even if the character survives he doesn't have to film nearly as much as the leads do. 

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

For what it's worth Harrington and Clarke can't do anything that doesn't shoot in the Game of Thrones off season. I'm not saying Loras is going to die this season, but yeah he probably will. Even if the character survives he doesn't have to film nearly as much as the leads do. 

OK, that would explain if they are too busy not to do movies, but they do movies. Even being the lead or prominent supporting stars. And yet they are part of the most abysmal projects I have seen in the past several years. If you have time to be a lead in a movie, than make sure that movie is at least watchable...The only thing worthy of mentioning of their movie career so far is Harington's work on "How to train your dragon 2". And that was animated movie, which says a lot. 

2 hours ago, Risto said:

OK, that would explain if they are too busy not to do movies, but they do movies. Even being the lead or prominent supporting stars. And yet they are part of the most abysmal projects I have seen in the past several years. If you have time to be a lead in a movie, than make sure that movie is at least watchable...The only thing worthy of mentioning of their movie career so far is Harington's work on "How to train your dragon 2". And that was animated movie, which says a lot. 

Its a little unfortunate that they are probably some of the least competent actors on the show. They fit the parts pretty well, but you couldn't really ever call them exceptional actors. They are also now pretty typecast and will have a very hard time being seen as anything other than Jon and Dany for a very long time. 

8 hours ago, Risto said:

I know Netflix is a significant player in TV these days, but being cast in a Hollywood blockbuster (even if it subsequently doesn't do very well by Hollywood blockbuster standards) is still a much, much bigger deal than being cast as the lead in a TV series. More money, more exposure, and much more of an indicator of success. I guarantee you many, many more people saw Clarke in Terminator than will see Jones in Iron Fist.

48 minutes ago, mormont said:

I know Netflix is a significant player in TV these days, but being cast in a Hollywood blockbuster (even if it subsequently doesn't do very well by Hollywood blockbuster standards) is still a much, much bigger deal than being cast as the lead in a TV series. More money, more exposure, and much more of an indicator of success. I guarantee you many, many more people saw Clarke in Terminator than will see Jones in Iron Fist.

Sadly, but true... Or God save us all, Harington in Pompeii and Seventh Son. I was more referring to Jones doing something worthy of mentioning. Naturally, both GoT leads, even with those horrendous movies, are more popular, but between what they have been doing so far and what Jones is supposed to do in the future, as an actor, I would have be in Jones' place any day.

But, yeah, there is no debate that both Clarke and Harington are far more prominent than Jones.

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Its a little unfortunate that they are probably some of the least competent actors on the show. They fit the parts pretty well, but you couldn't really ever call them exceptional actors. They are also now pretty typecast and will have a very hard time being seen as anything other than Jon and Dany for a very long time. 

I have derailed the topic a bit too much, but just to say I agree :) I am not sure who will make career (solid acting career) post-GoT, but Harington and Clarke are definitely not my first picks.

I'm pretty sure Loras is toast or he's going to be background enough for them to recast. It's not like they haven't done so before and Loras isn't a core cast member. Margaery is more integral in that sense.

I wouldn't blame him jumping into a lead role in any other show, let alone a Netflix/Marvel one.

I do agree that being in a film is usually a better move for an actor wanting a big career. It seems easier to be a film star doing TV for sure. That said some actors just work better in long format storytelling. Bryan Cranston and James Gandolfino were at their best and most recognisable in TV. Sometimes they still seem doomed to support roles because they don't fit the expectations of a movie lead which still tends to be "handsome" young white guy that young people find appealing.

What I was stopping by to post on though was that I'm pleased Iron Fist is moving along nicely and that it now seems a certainty that Defenders will be the next production piece after it. I'm not exactly excited about Defenders but I'll be pleased when they've done it and then they can have a contract that lets them to be a little more flexible with "phase 2". It'll probably kick off with JJ s2 but I'd be curious as to whether they'll try other new characters for TV too. Punisher seems a no brainer.

I really hope they manage to get out a Punisher series. He was the absolute highlight of DD season 2. I'm quite disappointed overall with how Daredevil panned out, and ended on a bit of a bum note again. Frank Castle was the one thing holding the series together and when he wasn't involved it really felt like a substandard show, which is a massive shame as I love the show really.

45 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I really hope they manage to get out a Punisher series. He was the absolute highlight of DD season 2. I'm quite disappointed overall with how Daredevil panned out, and ended on a bit of a bum note again. Frank Castle was the one thing holding the series together and when he wasn't involved it really felt like a substandard show, which is a massive shame as I love the show really.

Season 2 was good but I agree that the overall narrative was a bit weak. Especially the ninja stuff. It could have done with some more everyday crime-fighting but I can see why they wanted to be abit different from season 1 .

We need more Punisher just so that the last we see of him wasn't him shooting ninjas from a distance. Plus Bernthal was excellent and deserves a leading role in something.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2016 at 0:39 PM, SpaceChampion said:

I bet they're thinking one show that alternates between showcasing each of them on their own, a la Marvel Knights... although why anyone at Marvel and Netflix would think Ghost Rider is viable, I'm not entirely sure. Depends on the writing I guess.

1 hour ago, JEORDHl said:

although why anyone at Marvel and Netflix would think Ghost Rider is viable, I'm not entirely sure. Depends on the writing I guess.

Because the comic was pretty awesome.  

• 1 month later...

Archived