Marvel Netflix - AKA the Second Thread

The BlackBear

Last thread reached 400. Jessica Jones will be in November (in which Luke Cage will first appear,) followed by Daredevil S2 in April, and Luke Cage after. Iron Fist and the Defenders are nebulously in the future.

Luke Cage have confirmed they will have Alfre Woodard as a politician. Who is threatened by Cage, and her cousin Cottonmouth.

http://screenrant.com/luke-cage-alfre-woodard-confirmed/

And it has a synopsis.

“After a sabotaged experiment leaves him with super strength and unbreakable skin, Luke Cage (Mike Colter) becomes a fugitive trying to rebuild his life in modern day Harlem, New York City. But he is soon pulled out of the shadows and must fight a battle for the heart of his city–forcing him to confront a past he had tried to bury.”

All the Luke Cage casting makes it sound like that show is well underway. I guess it means it will be at least 2017 before we see an Iron Fist series - maybe longer if they stick to "a season every 6 month" and AKA, Luke Cage and Daredevil all get additional seasons. I guess it should be feasible to merge AKA and Luke Cage into a second season if need be.

I'm curious to see how the recent Marvel Studios shake-up plays out. It could result in the TV shows becoming separate entities from the movies given Perlmutter might be a bit annoyed about being cut out of the film making process but still being in charge of the TV. The fact we still haven't heard anything about Daredevil appearing in Civil War has me thinking they are going to remain isolated. The SHIELD tv characters seem to be constantly ignored but it would be another level to snub the likes of Daredevil.

• 1 month later...

Since a few people bemoaned the demise of proper tv show discussion thanks to the Netflix release model: is anybody up for agreeing on a viewing schedule for Jessica Jones to counter that problem? Presumably it'd need its own discussion thread.

Since a few people bemoaned the demise of proper tv show discussion thanks to the Netflix release model: is anybody up for agreeing on a viewing schedule for Jessica Jones to counter that problem? Presumably it'd need its own discussion thread.

I'd be up for a 1 a day schedule but I'm away this weekend and wouldn't wish to delay anyone. I'll watch an episode on the day of release though. Comment on that and then return once I'm done. I have high hopes for this and have a feeling Tennant might steal the show (which is what many felt Daredevil's villain did - although I wasn't as convinced)

I guess the fear of a decline of civilization isn't as widespread as past discussions on the subject made me believe.

In that case I'll also follow my natural inclination to binge watch it, but if we find ourselves living in Mad Max world in a year or two we'll know whose fault it was...

I guess the fear of a decline of civilization isn't as widespread as past discussions on the subject made me believe.

In that case I'll also follow my natural inclination to binge watch it, but if we find ourselves living in Mad Max world in a year or two we'll know whose fault it was...

I don't really want to drag the debate out again but I still question how well a binge show catches on compared to a weekly show. It's really hard to compare given no-one knows how well netflix shows do but I still think the buzz is more blunt for a binge show, while a weekly show benefits from the continued buzz.

Walking Dead has been awful for the past few episodes and the ratings have increased - probably due to the continued debate over the survival of one character. That would never have happened if all the season had been available at once (it would have lasted the 6 hours it took for someone to reach the episode where the character's fate was touched upon again).

But I'll still join in on some debate once I'm finished by which point it's more about how it all panned out than how it will pan out. I can't have it both ways though as I do prefer to watch a show at my own schedule. Given a choice between the two I can live without the debate. I just wonder if netflix puts customers before sales - which is a weird way to look at it. I'm guessing they are all about the subscribers in that it doesn't matter how much content a person watches as long as they subscribe. There's probably a bit of the "gym membership" marketing strategy. I know I got netflix for Daredevil and still have it now despite not really getting full use out of it on a monthly basis (although Sens8, Narcos and AKA will still be the same price of 8 months subscription as the blu-rays).

I think a whole season spoiler thread may be worth it though to run alongside this one.

I see merit to both sides as well, which was why I suggested finding a compromise solution. I (probably...) wouldn't have too much trouble resisting my urge to immediately jump to the next episode, but if I'd only be talking to myself I really don't see the point.;)

Watched Daredevil recently on a recommendation. Was expecting another bloody Arrow / Smallville type pile of shit so I was surprised I didn't hate it, in fact, it was actually watchable. It has a few good things going for it. Charlie Cox is a solid actor and that goofy supporting Mighty Duck has developed into, well, a goofy supporting sidekick. The girl that plays Karen is an awful actress though, there's only so much doe-eyed whimpering I can take. Didn't think Private Pile made much of a Kingpin at first but he grew on me. Will probably tune in for the second season if there's nothing else worth watching.

What time does the season go up on Netflix? It's already well into Friday here so I wonder whether the show goes live at midnight Pacific time or later in the day. i.e. will I be able to watch this at 9PM tonight (Friday) my time, or will I need to wait until Saturday my time?

Archived