Marvel Netflix - AKA the Second Thread

The BlackBear

15 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Really enjoyed that new trailer for Luke Cage. Jessica Jones has made me less than interested in his character as they somehow made him quite boring in that show. But seeing this new Harlemesque setting which makes me think its like Marvel meets the Wire, I'm suddenly interested again!

He was mostly a bit player in Jessica Jones, though, and we didn't really get to know him much outside of his connection to her.

Rosario Dawson is like bacon, adding bacon is always an improvement.

I won't worry too much about Luke Cage seeming to be invulnerable. We saw in JJ that he can be naturalised with the right amount of force applied to his internal organs. It's only his skin that's impervious, so massive blunt force damage can still cause him problems.

I think he's a fugitive or something as well. So, he has a massive legal vulnerability. Looks like there's going to be lots of politics, too. There's two political characters. Very excited about this show.

On 8/9/2016 at 8:53 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

I won't worry too much about Luke Cage seeming to be invulnerable. We saw in JJ that he can be naturalised with the right amount of force applied to his internal organs. It's only his skin that's impervious, so massive blunt force damage can still cause him problems.

Did you see him stop that vehicle? What is his threshold?

8 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Did you see him stop that vehicle? What is his threshold?

Well, yes that was a bit incongruous with JJ. According to the Marvel wiki these are his physical tolerances: 

He can withstand up to one-ton impacts or blasts of 150 pounds of TNT without serious injury, and is impervious to temperature extremes and electrical shocks. His recovery time from injury or trauma is usually one-third that of an ordinary human.

So it could be that the shotgun to the head in JJ actually shouldn't have hurt him as badly as it did. But still, looks like he can stop a car with perhaps just minor bruising at worst, but he can't stop a train or a truck.

Then again, the wiki says he has super dense muscles and bones, but as the brain is neither of those things then perhaps he's more vulnerable to head trauma since rattling the brain around inside the skull is bad no matter how dense your bones.

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Well, yes that was a bit incongruous with JJ. According to the Marvel wiki these are his physical tolerances: 

So it could be that the shotgun to the head in JJ actually shouldn't have hurt him as badly as it did. But still, looks like he can stop a car with perhaps just minor bruising at worst, but he can't stop a train or a truck.

Then again, the wiki says he has super dense muscles and bones, but as the brain is neither of those things then perhaps he's more vulnerable to head trauma since rattling the brain around inside the skull is bad no matter how dense your bones.

Could also be the a focused shotgun blast at close range is more physically devastating than a car hitting him, as the car is inherently spread out over a large portion of his body.  And yeah, the fact that one is to the head probably factored in as well.

Or maybe his one weakness is the script calling for him to be incapacitated?

On 8/10/2016 at 4:22 AM, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

But seeing this new Harlemesque setting which makes me think its like Marvel meets the Wire

So you think it's going to be a slow burn exploration of the decay of the American city with a gradually expanding scope? Or it's just going to be the second show you ever watched with a predominantly black cast? 

57 minutes ago, RumHam said:

To be fair, that's a universal superhero vulnerability. That and making unfathomably stupid decisions in order to create tension / a crisis. 

40 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

To be fair, that's a universal superhero vulnerability. That and making unfathomably stupid decisions in order to create tension / a crisis. 

Yeah. It's to be expected. They're going to do something to create a sense of danger for him. Either by threatening his loved ones or something akin to Kryrpnoite or more likely another of the test subjects that can match him. 

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

He's definitely been downgraded though. In the comics he can carry great big lorries around on his shoulder. Wasn't the shotgun more a concussion thing? I think they'll be able to find ways around it.

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

So you think it's going to be a slow burn exploration of the decay of the American city with a gradually expanding scope? Or it's just going to be the second show you ever watched with a predominantly black cast? 

Nah, I've seen Empire too. Unfortunately.

7 hours ago, RumHam said:

Or it's just going to be the second show you ever watched with a predominantly black cast? 

Think we all know the answer to this one. Wow, look at all those black people. Black people everywhere! This is like The Wire except with a lot more ass kicking! 

31 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

He's definitely been downgraded though. In the comics he can carry great big lorries around on his shoulder. Wasn't the shotgun more a concussion thing? I think they'll be able to find ways around it.

Well, in the comics his power level fluctuates according to who's writing him, as with many characters. When he started out, he could lift a car but not a truck, IIRC.

13 minutes ago, Relic said:

Think we all know the answer to this one. Wow, look at all those black people. Black people everywhere! This is like The Wire except with a lot more ass kicking! 

Knock it off, guys. One response to a misjudged comment is fine. Several is out of order.

Just now, mormont said:

Well, in the comics his power level fluctuates according to who's writing him, as with many characters. When he started out, he could lift a car but not a truck, IIRC.

True but as I understand it the wiki which was quoted tends to use their most impressive feats as basis for their 'ratings.'

12 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Nah, I've seen Empire too. Unfortunately.

Not good? I've never seen it. For the record I'm pretty sure this will only be like the third show I've ever watched with a predominantly black cast. 

On 14/08/2016 at 2:45 AM, Martell Spy said:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/07/jessica-jones-season-2

Jessica Jones boss teases Jessica-Trish dynamic in season 2
Plus: How do you top Kilgrave?

I dunno about teasing a Jessica-Trish dynamic. Rosenberg said she is definitely going to flesh out their relationship a lot more. But it's only the fans who are shipping them; if that's what you mean by teasing their dynamic.

On 8/13/2016 at 9:45 AM, Martell Spy said:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/07/jessica-jones-season-2

Jessica Jones boss teases Jessica-Trish dynamic in season 2
Plus: How do you top Kilgrave?

It's hard to top the Purple Man, but I'd assume he'd show up in flashbacks and continue to effect her in S2. There are some interesting things they could and probably should pull from the comics like... Comic spoilers

Baby Danielle Jones-Cage & Patsy Wlaker: Hellcat. I'm not sure if we could get Spider-Woman or if that falls under the Sony umbrella of Marvel, though.

Archived