Marvel Netflix - AKA the Second Thread

The BlackBear

I'm so excited about this, that last scene in the trailer was great.  I have a conference Sunday morning, so I can't be up late binging it Saturday night.  However, I will be done by 12:30-1:00, so I'm sure I'll still be able to finish the season on Sunday.

2 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Me too, I always liked him in SOA, despite the awful storyline his character ended up in.

True. There were actually a lot of good performers in the show (not across the board) but most were lumbered with stupid storylines at some point.

58 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm so excited about this, that last scene in the trailer was great.  I have a conference Sunday morning, so I can't be up late binging it Saturday night.  However, I will be done by 12:30-1:00, so I'm sure I'll still be able to finish the season on Sunday.

Yeah, I think i may pause my narcos viewing an indulge in some proper bingeing on this come Sunday. Maybe sneak the first episode in on Friday morning before work. I really hope the different vibe from the trailers exists in the show - it's important each show has a different flavour.

Not going to lie, I'm still a little concerned how they'll make him vulnerable. Hopefully it'll be another Netflix villain to remember.

2 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

Okay. 90s rapper? No wonder I have no idea who the dude is. :)

He's the best member of Wu Tang (in my opinion.)

26 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Not going to lie, I'm still a little concerned how they'll make him vulnerable. Hopefully it'll be another Netflix villain to remember.

The fact that this last trailer also focused quite a bit on the villain gives me hope that we will have another great one.

I liked me a bit of Wu-tang Clan, but I've never actually seen any of them.

Remi Stanton as a villain aye?

Just a nitpick. We know that major hits cause internal trauma (from Jessica Jones) so I would have liked to see him flinch a little bit when he caught a bullet in his hand. 

6 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

They've done a decent job of exploring their weaknesses with DD and JJ. They've hinted at it as well in both trailers. If you can't hurt Luke Cage, go after the humans he's close to. And try to drown him too. (Seriously though, does fire hurt him? I don't remember him being burned or part of an explosion in JJ).

Definitely wouldn't mind Method Man in a recurring role -- even if he does play himself. I miss Cheese.. 

10 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

It's good to come up with vulnerabilities but I'd actually prefer they focus on how being semi-indestructible and strong doesn't mean you can solve all problems and take down organised crime syndicates. Have them unable to hurt/kill him but frustrate him at the fact for every squad he takes down there have been 50 others committing crimes. When he takes down a drug-lab, two others have been set up. Add the cops not being happy about a vigilante and potentially putting their cases and agents at risk and his invulnerability is less of an issue than his ineffectiveness. Have Luke Cage start thinking smartly about how to effectively stop this group not just walk in and beat folk up and we'll get a great character arc.

10 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Heretic!

3 hours ago, WarGalley said:

They've done a decent job of exploring their weaknesses with DD and JJ. They've hinted at it as well in both trailers. If you can't hurt Luke Cage, go after the humans he's close to. And try to drown him too. (Seriously though, does fire hurt him? I don't remember him being burned or part of an explosion in JJ).

He was on fire when the bar blew up. It didn't bother him, as I recall.

7 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Definitely wouldn't mind Method Man in a recurring role -- even if he does play himself. I miss Cheese.. 

Fire doesn't do a thing to him, since fire burns the skin, so that can't hurt him, unless he were to swallow wildfire like Aerion Brightflame. But he's not indestructible or physically unvulnerable, he just has unbreakable skin, right? So, some of the ways to hurt/kill him would be:

- shooting or stabbing him through the eyeball (we know that his eyes are penetrable, since Claire was able to put a needle through his eye)

- drowning or suffocating him (e.g. locking him in a space with no oxygen)

- anything that induces brain trauma (maybe pushing him off a high building? Or even a really, really strong hit that can knock him out and cause brain trauma)

- poisoning him

His major weakness is that possibilities for administering medical treatment are limited, e.g. he can take medicaments orally, but you can't give him injections, except through the eye, I guess.

Something that generally annoys me about folk with super strength is that they shouldn't weigh any more than they normally would. But in the trailer we, sort of, see him stop a car dead. We don't see all of it, so it might be misleading, but he should really just slide along in front of the car.

14 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

He's certainly got skills. And he's definitely the most flamboyant. But for my money, the best member of the group is Gza the Genius. Hands down. 

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

Something that generally annoys me about folk with super strength is that they shouldn't weigh any more than they normally would. But in the trailer we, sort of, see him stop a car dead. We don't see all of it, so it might be misleading, but he should really just slide along in front of the car.

he maybe has super grippy shoes? Or his skin converts the kinetic energy into heat/chemical strength. Grasping at straws.

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

Yeah, although super strength is almost useless if you aren't willing to bend physics some.  Just like catching someone from a fall would still kill them, superman would tear apart a plane before he could prevent it from crashing, etc. 

1 hour ago, The Wolves said:

Isn't Cottonmouth suppose to have super strength also? 

It depends on which version . From wikipedia

"The first Cottonmouth has super-strength that rivals Luke Cage. He also has sharp teeth that he had sharpened to resemble fangs. Cottonmouth also has a good knowledge of the different poisons.

Due to bionic reconstruction, the second Cottonmouth possesses enhanced jaw and neck muscles, and steel teeth enabling him to bite with sufficient force to crush cinderblock or deform metals softer than iron, hang from a rope by his teeth for up to an hour, and to open his mouth larger than the size of a human head. His teeth (including abnormally large canines) have been replaced by steel, and his jaw and neck have been bionically enhanced and specially hinged to enable his mouth to open larger than the size of a human head, and he has superhuman strength in his jaw."

from the previews it looks like they are dropping the teeth but they may well be keeping the strength. His knowledge of poisons may remain as others have pointed out - a weakness of Cage is trying to administer medical help to him. So if he is poisoned it could be an issue.

I'd sort of like to see a jaw-dropping moment for comic effect.

Archived