Fallout 4

RumHam

What happened to the other thread and why is there Chinese symbols everywhere?

There was a board announcement a while back.  The forums have migrated to an upgraded software and server and all of the content on the board between when they last attempted the upgrade and now was always going to be lost.

ETA:  And I have no clue on the Chinese symbols... I don't have any of those.

I was walking around at night and came across a park with a really big, cool looking tree in it. There was some crazy weather effects going on, maybe a radiation storm or something? Anyway it was really really atmospheric. There were feral ghouls in the park so I was sneaking around, kinda cheeped out by the amazing night atmosphere, suddenly I see a fucking legendary deathclaw skulking around like 5m away from me, I almost shat my pants. I was on [caution] and managed to sneak away into a nearby park building. Inside were four unactivated protectrons, I hacked a terminal and set them to go security mode around the park. They almost immediately went after this enormous fucking deathclaw and we proceeded to have an epic (if short lived) battle in the middle of this crazy storm. One of the coolest video game experiences I've had in ages. 

Don't know if it got answered: is there much quest variety or is it mostly "go to location -> kill everything -> go back to quest giver"?

I'm really loving the armour and weapon modifications. I found a combat shotgun (along with some unique moonshine) in Boston on an elevated highway type thing. Upped its damage, got rid of a lot of recoil and added a bayonet. Woo.

I guess they went through with the forum upgrade.

Loving the game so far. Anyone know if the containers in Sanctuary are safe to use? I need a place to horde all my junk.

I've read if you store your extra stuff in a workbench, it will be accessible from any workbench in the world. (Haven't confirmed it for myself yet)

I've read if you store your extra stuff in a workbench, it will be accessible from any workbench in the world. (Haven't confirmed it for myself yet)

I've heard that it's more complicated than that. You need the Local Leader charisma perk, and it's only workbenches whose settlements are connected by supply lines. 

You need a perk for that (local leader). The workbench storage is connected to all the crafting stations in that settlement though. So its best to pick just pick the settlement you like best, probably Sanctuary, and just leave everything in the workbench storage there.

Don't know if it got answered: is there much quest variety or is it mostly "go to location -> kill everything -> go back to quest giver"?

I'm really loving the armour and weapon modifications. I found a combat shotgun (along with some unique moonshine) in Boston on an elevated highway type thing. Upped its damage, got rid of a lot of recoil and added a bayonet. Woo.

A bit. I was also stuck on that 'go to settlement,' 'find out raiders/super mutants/etc. are bothering them,' 'kill them all,' 'get a reward' loop for a while that Preston starts off when he sends you to Terrapin Bluffs. But I started getting tired of it and started running into enemies way too strong for me to deal with, so I started on my other quest at the time, heading to Diamond City. That's led to some more quests and opened up side quests with more variety than the settlement-given missions.

Combat is the primary mechanic of the game, so there is a lot of that, but the missions usually have something else going too. For instance, I had a heavily scripted mission with an over-powered NPC laying waste to hordes of enemies while I mostly cowered, and am on another mission now where I'm just trying to find someone. Dialog becomes a bit more important in Diamond City too. And there's actually plot starting to happen.

Jeff Gerstmann highlighted this difference in quest quality in his (generally favorable, 4/5) review:

More frequently, the bases you unlock and populate across the map will gin up combat missions for you like "go kill all the raiders/ghouls who are in this location." I was usually happy to help, but these definitely didn't make me feel compelled to build up and establish bases around the map. Even after finishing the game, I never really figured out why all that base-building stuff is in there.
----
break

------
There are main quest lines, faction quests, and some side quest lines, and with the exception of the "just go kill these dudes" quests I got from my settlements, I found that most of the quests were worth doing. 

So I assume this continues. And makes me not likely to spend much time building up the settlements; except maybe Sanctuary itself.

So... I've never played a Fallout game before but the hype is convincing me. Do I need much knowledge of the prior games? What other game is Fallout4 best compared to? (apart from Fallout3)

You don't need to have played any of the others. In fact it'll probably be an even better experience if you haven't. Have you played any of the Elder Scrolls games? It's just like those, but in a post-nuclear apocalypse world. 

So... I've never played a Fallout game before but the hype is convincing me. Do I need much knowledge of the prior games? What other game is Fallout4 best compared to? (apart from Fallout3)

Each game has its own story, so you don't really need prior knowledge to play Fallout 4.  That said, you may want to spend ten or fifteen minutes reading up on the lore of the series, though, just so that you understand the world and how it differs from our own even prior to the nuclear holocaust.  

As for what game it's best compared to, that's easy...Skyrim.  It's basically Skyrim in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

So I'm wandering around looting and whatnot and suddenly I get a message that I've actually failed a quest to rescue some poor soul. I'm pretty sure it was because I took too long, I don't remember  letting any hostages die anywhere. 

Just got up to the part where you first see the Prydwen, which was very cool, and reminded me of this. The game's done a really good job of making power armour feel and look imposing as well, rather than just mildly more useful normal armour. And Elder Macklemore is much cooler than Elder Lyons.

A bit. I was also stuck on that 'go to settlement,' 'find out raiders/super mutants/etc. are bothering them,' 'kill them all,' 'get a reward' loop for a while that Preston starts off when he sends you to Terrapin Bluffs. But I started getting tired of it and started running into enemies way too strong for me to deal with, so I started on my other quest at the time, heading to Diamond City. That's led to some more quests and opened up side quests with more variety than the settlement-given missions.

Combat is the primary mechanic of the game, so there is a lot of that, but the missions usually have something else going too. For instance, I had a heavily scripted mission with an over-powered NPC laying waste to hordes of enemies while I mostly cowered, and am on another mission now where I'm just trying to find someone. Dialog becomes a bit more important in Diamond City too. And there's actually plot starting to happen.

Jeff Gerstmann highlighted this difference in quest quality in his (generally favorable, 4/5) review:

So I assume this continues. And makes me not likely to spend much time building up the settlements; except maybe Sanctuary itself.

Hmm, I've played a bit in Diamond City and haven't noticed that many quests that don't involve killing. Other than doing some brief main quest stuff within the city, the interview, and accidentally causing a robosexual marriage I've just been pointed to some dangerous area and told to grab things. 

Hmm, I've played a bit in Diamond City and haven't noticed that many quests that don't involve killing. Other than doing some brief main quest stuff within the city, the interview, and accidentally causing a robosexual marriage I've just been pointed to some dangerous area and told to grab things. 

Fallout 4 is an FPS/RPG hybrid, so naturally most quests will involve killing of some sort.

I do agree with him, though, that the game changes a bit once you get to Diamond City.  At least some of the quests become a bit more involved than "bad bandits here, go kill," which is about all you get from the Minuteman with the awful voice acting.  You're rarely going to get quests that are entirely devoid of shooting, though, because the shooting is the core of the game.

Archived