Fallout 4

RumHam

I don't know honestly. Whether they're legally liable or not is uncertain since mods on console have never really been done before. It's uncharted territory. I'm sure they're considering all of this themselves, and my feeling is that they're more likely to take a 'better safe than sorry' approach to it. As for existing games with content generation (built in level editors and such), that's a good point. I guess they could use that to point out that it's been happening for ages anyway. 

The difference is that built in level editors only use content that is built into the game.  They're inherently limited by what the developers provide them with.  Yeah, it's possible they can still build offensive stuff, but there's a limit.

With mods for games like Fallout, the community can and will create tons of their own content.  When that happens, though, Bethesda has very little control over it, unlike games that simply include a level editor and prefab assets.

I'm actually only about 20 hours in, I think I've explored most of the northwestern quadrant of the map, but I've barely scratched the surface of the northeastern quadrant and other than the quest to Fort Hogan I haven't been south of Diamond City at all yet. Game is huge.

I'm level 20 now and haven't gotten any of the legendary drops where the RNGesus smiled brightly enough and the game hands out a completely OP broken weapon (most revolve around an automatic weapon with bleed damage or the kneecapper trait), but I did just get the unique weapon Kremvh's Tooth. And its powerful enough that I'm thinking of maybe going melee. I still haven't invested in any of the weapon damage-specific perks since I don't want to start locking myself into any play styles; mostly I've been going for utility and QoL perks.

Also, killed my first open world deathclaw today, was really proud of myself for that; just took a whole lot of combat shotgunning to the face while back-peddling.

I went to so much effort to build a five-story fortress in Sanctuary and that asshole had to go and make it look like absolute shit with that masterpiece.  <_<

This is what I was able to come up with:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/391047274262495058/FF4B6B699255708984E1A14DFF7E2E15A3A45C6F/

Five stories is apparently as tall as you can go in Sanctuary, sadly.

What's with all the Microsoft and Bethesda talk? Are they not partnering with Sony? Are mods not coming to PS4?

I'm sure they are. I focused on Microsoft because they also make windows, and I didn't get why they'd be responsible for user created contend on one platform and not on the other. 

The difference is that built in level editors only use content that is built into the game.  They're inherently limited by what the developers provide them with.  Yeah, it's possible they can still build offensive stuff, but there's a limit.

With mods for games like Fallout, the community can and will create tons of their own content.  When that happens, though, Bethesda has very little control over it, unlike games that simply include a level editor and prefab assets.

But there are some games (maybe not on XBox) that allow you to do more than use prefab assets. I haven't played it but I believe Little Big Planet for Playstation lets you make just about anything, and some levels were pulled for copyright issues. SmileBasic for 3DS has been used to remake NES games. And the 3DS drawing program Colors3D wouldn't stop you from uploading a picture of Batman hanging dong if you really wanted to. 

If you fast travel while wearing power armour, does it use up core energy?

As RumHam said, no. Something to keep in mind though is that sprinting uses up core energy much faster than walking does. I didn't know about that for a while. Good to know if you're short on cores. I have like 40 of the bloody things now though, with one point in the perk that makes them last longer and I've never felt the need to invest in it any further. There are loads of them lying around and most vendors sell them. 

Has anyone been to the flooded quarry and done this mission? I accidentally killed Sully Mathis. We got attacked by some flying shit while talking and we both started shooting at them and then he started shooting at me, so I had to end him. Does this matter?

I shot the bear that's near the scrap yard and got him to chase me into the scrap yard. I jumped on top of the stacked cars so he couldn't reach me and started shooting him and he took cover in the radioactive shed and died. That was pretty sweet.

How do you know who is friendly or not without walking up on them and seeing if they shoot you? I accidentally snipe killed the trader guy with all the cats cause I thought he was a raider. I got all his stuff for free but now his cats are going to die without him.

I accidentally snipe killed the trader guy with all the cats cause I thought he was a raider. I got all his stuff for free but now his cats are going to die without him.

This guy remains my only murder. He was selling cat meat! I thought I was helping those poor cats by killing him. Oops. 

How do you know who is friendly or not without walking up on them and seeing if they shoot you? I accidentally snipe killed the trader guy with all the cats cause I thought he was a raider. I got all his stuff for free but now his cats are going to die without him.

Friendlies (or even people you can talk to before they turn hostile) show up with green names in VATS.  People who are going to be hostile the moment they spot you show up with red names.

As far as the dead cats go, sounds like you did the wasteland a favor.  Cats are the worst.

I read that Fallout 4 had sold 12 million copies as of about a week ago. That's incredible. In terms of sales, that puts it up in GTA V territory, does it not? 

GTAV sold 12 million copies in its first day on sale and 29 million by the end of its first month. Fallout 4 had 12 million copies shipped to retailers on release, which I believe is supposed to last them (in theory) a month. However, it's not clear yet how many extra copies Bethesda have had to ship out. I'd be surprised - but very pleased - if FO4 got close to GTAV's sales.

For comparison, the first-month sales for the previous Bethesda games were 1.7 million for Oblivion, 3 million for Fallout 3, 5 million for New Vegas and 7 million for Skyrim. Even just the 12 million for Fallout 4 would be a significant step up, but it sounds like it could be more.

GTAV sold 12 million copies in its first day on sale and 29 million by the end of its first month. Fallout 4 had 12 million copies shipped to retailers on release, which I believe is supposed to last them (in theory) a month. However, it's not clear yet how many extra copies Bethesda have had to ship out. I'd be surprised - but very pleased - if FO4 got close to GTAV's sales.

For comparison, the first-month sales for the previous Bethesda games were 1.7 million for Oblivion, 3 million for Fallout 3, 5 million for New Vegas and 7 million for Skyrim. Even just the 12 million for Fallout 4 would be a significant step up, but it sounds like it could be more.

Fallout 4 did pass 2 million digital PC sales after one week, while GTAV reached 3.1 million digital PC sales after one month. And actually that Fallout figure is for Steam only, while GTAV's is for all PC downloads. I don't know the trendlines though and whether Fallout 4 is on pace to pass GTAV here.

Back to the game itself, I've got to admit that I thought a few of the Diamond City Radio songs (most notably 'Crawl Out Through the Fallout' and 'Uranium Fever') were new songs commissioned by Bethesda and designed to sound like the real '50s and '60s songs on the Radio, but with those lyrics. Turns out, those are real novelty songs from 1960 and 1955, respectively. Which means I'll never doubt Bethesda's licensing department again, but also blows my mind that people listened to this in 1960.

As a franchise, Fallout does better on PC than GTA. Also, FO4 launched on PC the same day as console, whilst PC players had to wait 18 months for the PC version of GTAV (although that did then encourage people who'd had the game on console to double-dip for mods and better graphics), which probably skews things.

It'll be fascinating to see the end of year sales though.

Archived