Fallout 4

RumHam

Does anyone know how the faction questlines work? Do they affect each other and the main quest or are they more like Skyrim? You see I've joined the Brotherhood but don't particularly like their attitude, so I don't want to progress with their quests if it ends with them in total control of the Commonwealth. No spoilers please,

Does anyone know how the faction questlines work? Do they affect each other and the main quest or are they more like Skyrim? You see I've joined the Brotherhood but don't particularly like their attitude, so I don't want to progress with their quests if it ends with them in total control of the Commonwealth. No spoilers please,

It's my understanding that at some point you make a definitive choice of who to support. So you can complete all their individual quest lines and it won't affect the ending. But I don't know for sure cause I've barely done any of the main quest. 

It's my understanding that at some point you make a definitive choice of who to support. So you can complete all their individual quest lines and it won't affect the ending. But I don't know for sure cause I've barely done any of the main quest. 

Mm OK. Do we know if the game ends at the end of the main quest like FO3 and NV?

Hadn't been to Goodneighbour before (27 hours in and Level 24) so it was a bit of a surprise to arrive there and be greeted by a homicidal genderfluid robot guns salesperson and then given ten quests on top of each other. I did the Silver Shroud and it was was excellent.

My understanding from reading different forums is that the Silver Shroud armour is arguably the best armour in the game (certainly the best light armour): it's light but tough, it gets upgraded periodically, you can mix it with some decent headgear. If it means I can stop worrying about mixing and matching half a dozen different armour pieces, that'd be brilliant.

Suffice to say, I completely disagree with your disagreement. Firstly, I've never had must of the companions go back to the settlement. Whenever I'm not using them, Danse goes back to the BoS, Piper goes back to Diamond City, Hancock goes to Goodneighbor, and Valentine goes to the next main story objective (because he's fucking awesome). Characters like Codsworth, Dogmeat, Cait, and Strong go to Sanctuary, but it makes sense for them to (particularly Strong, who is trying to learn more about humans). I don't know about the other companions, because I don't have them. So they still feel integrated in their world.

Not sure what to tell you. I'm not bullshitting. This is Valentine in my world. A great character and supposed detective just standing in Country Crossing perpetually turning meat. 

The game is crack, I would probably be further along but put it down after about 20 hours. Became addicted to establishing settlements. Spent 2 hours fixing fences and making fences and putting up turrets. It's a time sponge. Never thought I would become obsessed with glue, but there it is, I must have more glue.

Hmm... I kept Piper with me until I was able to romance her and got the "lovers' embrace" perk. I figured she was maxed out and switched to other companions (first Strong and then Cait). But I never unlocked a quest with her (or any character specific Perk). So I take it there may be more I can unlock with her?

And it sounds like I need to seek out this Silver Shroud quest. I discovered a radio signal that seemed to lead to it at some stage - but was doing other stuff at the time and didn't follow up on it. (I did discover a silver shroud costume in random wanderings, though).

Hmm... I kept Piper with me until I was able to romance her and got the "lovers' embrace" perk. I figured she was maxed out and switched to other companions (first Strong and then Cait). But I never unlocked a quest with her (or any character specific Perk). So I take it there may be more I can unlock with her?

And it sounds like I need to seek out this Silver Shroud quest. I discovered a radio signal that seemed to lead to it at some stage - but was doing other stuff at the time and didn't follow up on it. (I did discover a silver shroud costume in random wanderings, though).

Pretty sure the only Piper quest is the one where she asks you the questions about being from the vault.  You do get a perk from her when you max out your relationship, though.

Mods have already made this game so much better.  

I've got mods that:

• Increase the "budget" for settlements, meaning you can build more stuff without running out of space.
  • Fixes the dialogue options so that they display the full dialogue rather than the not-so-clear synopsis the game was providing.
  • Uses the lowered weapon animation when you're not aiming so that your gun doesn't take up half the screen.
  • Water texture enhancements.
  • A mod that improves the visuals of far away areas.
  • Enhanced blood textures.
  • One that simply replaces the laser dot with a radiation symbol.  Pointless but amusing.
  • One that adds a ton of new items that can be built in settlements.

I also downloaded one that tweaks how power armor fusion cores are drained because, while I have a shitload of them, I got sick of constantly worrying about how quickly I was draining them.  I hate how this game separates power armor from regular armor to begin with.  Technically a cheat mod, but fuck it...I want to enjoy the game more and wear my power armor when I feel like it.

My understanding from reading different forums is that the Silver Shroud armour is arguably the best armour in the game (certainly the best light armour): it's light but tough, it gets upgraded periodically, you can mix it with some decent headgear. If it means I can stop worrying about mixing and matching half a dozen different armour pieces, that'd be brilliant.

Too bad it looks terrible, IMO.

Also, its currently 42 DR for me and I think the final upgraded version is 87 DR (not available until you're level 45), which is certainly way better than any of the other 1-piece armors I currently have. However, between my heavily upgraded vault jumpsuit, assault gas mask, and various pieces of legendary leather, metal, and combat armor I have 110 DR along with a bunch of useful special abilities. Its so high actually that I generally just wear the armor pieces and switch to better looking hats and clothing.

And I renamed all the armor and clothing I ever wear so that the names start with a '.' so that they are always at the top of my inventory and don't get mixed up with the vendor/workshop trash I pick up. I did the same for my weapons.

Yeah, but how does it look?  Because, my ass in that Vaultsuit...  :D

And I renamed all the armor and clothing I ever wear so that the names start with a '.' so that they are always at the top of my inventory and don't get mixed up with the vendor/workshop trash I pick up. I did the same for my weapons.

I renamed my weapons.  A couple with unique names.  A couple by just adding a "1" in front of it, until I can think of something better.  But there wasn't much point in renaming armor since I'm always wearing my best stuff.

I haven't gotten to that point, but from what I'm told there will be a point in their quest lines where you have to start deciding.  But that it should be obvious when you get there.

Like 1 faction will have you attack another.

I was using a hyphen for a while for the same purpose, then I found out you can actually just use a space at the beginning to do the same thing. Looks cleaner. 

I've really enjoyed coming up with names for all my guns. My favorite so far is a 10mm auto pistol with unlimited capacity that I've upgraded as much as possible. I've affectionately named it "Small Packages". It wrecks things. 

I hate how this game separates power armor from regular armor to begin with. 

I'm completely the opposite. It's one of the changes I actually like. Power armor actually feels like power armor now. It should be separate from regular clothing as far as I'm concerned.

The other day I found a crater presumably left by one of the bombs and it bothered my quite a lot that it was in the middle of Boston, yet most of the buildings are still standing. It bothered me in FO3 too.

I haven't gotten to that point, but from what I'm told there will be a point in their quest lines where you have to start deciding.  But that it should be obvious when you get there.

Hidden Content

OK thanks

I'm completely the opposite. It's one of the changes I actually like. Power armor actually feels like power armor now. It should be separate from regular clothing as far as I'm concerned.

Same. Power Armour should feel powerful and bulky. I always thought there was way too much spring in my step when wearing it in FO3 (never got it in NV).

But there wasn't much point in renaming armor since I'm always wearing my best stuff.

I switch up my armor a lot. I've got the 110 DR combo for the real tough fights, a different combo that I think is in the 80s DR that I usually use for fights since it looks much better, a lab coat I use when turning in quests because the +2 INT on it means extra EXP, and a red dress/black-rim glasses/trilby hat for speech check conversations that gives me +4 CHA. And sometimes I run around in Grognak's Armor, which is the best armor-protecting clothing in the game but since you can't wear chest armor with it, only arm and leg armor it actually is a pretty big downgrade.

I'm also starting to encounter enemies who use gamma guns, so I need to find some armor with high rad protection for those fights.

I was using a hyphen for a while for the same purpose, then I found out you can actually just use a space at the beginning to do the same thing. Looks cleaner. 

I've really enjoyed coming up with names for all my guns. My favorite so far is a 10mm auto pistol with unlimited capacity that I've upgraded as much as possible. I've affectionately named it "Small Packages". It wrecks things. 

I didn't know about the space, that's good to know. I've only done a few custom names, I've got a heavily upgraded 10mm pistol that I named 'The Gun,' a heavily upgraded combat shotgun I named 'The Hammer,' and a heavily upgraded pipe rifle called 'Jealous Back-Up Rifle.' And I think that's it. Although I did rename all my other regular guns so that they just have the base name rather than a word salad of all the upgrades on them.

The other day I found a crater presumably left by one of the bombs and it bothered my quite a lot that it was in the middle of Boston, yet most of the buildings are still standing. It bothered me in FO3 too.

I'm pretty sure in Fallout lore the bombs were closer to dirty bombs than to what we think of as nukes; very high radiation level but little blast damage.

Archived