Fallout 4

RumHam

Same. I had the conversation with Mama Whatserface where she tells me his name is Dogmeat (and I knew it was to begin with of course) but when I look at him the tooltip just says "Dog". 

Hmmm... it was about a day and a half ago, but I think it went something like this: She referred to him as Dogmeat. I selected the "Dogmeat?" response and what my character actually said was "so he's your dog, then?". And she came back with "he doesn't belong to anyone - he joins anyone he likes and he seems to really like you."

So maybe selecting the "Dogmeat?" response is what caused him to be renamed. Or maybe not. :)

Hmmm... it was about a day and a half ago, but I think it went something like this: She referred to him as Dogmeat. I selected the "Dogmeat?" response and what my character actually said was "so he's your dog, then?". And she came back with "he doesn't belong to anyone - he joins anyone he likes and he seems to really like you."

So maybe selecting the "Dogmeat?" response is what caused him to be renamed. Or maybe not. :)

I just looked again and it says "Dogmeat" now. I'm positive it just said "Dog" last night even after my conversation with her. Maybe it just bugged for a while. Anything's possible with Bethesda games. 

I also found a cute red bandanna and some bad ass armor for him to wear while he breaks the laws of physics using Seismic Toss on Mole Rats. He flies like 20 feet in the air sometimes when he attacks :lol:

Also, what are the odds (don't tell me if you'v already finished the main quest):

Hidden Content

Just speculation...

I've assumed from the outset that the end of the game will reveal that baby Shaun's kidnapping happened decades beforehand (at least) and that he's either an adult or long-dead (possibly from old age).

So far I'm enjoying the game even the crafting side of things. There are the usual Bethesda problems when it come to storytelling which other people already mentioned but I do not really care(I never finished Morrowind or Fallout 3 but spent countless hours playing and enjoying them nevertheless). The wandering around and discovering part of the game is awesome as usual. The first time I stumbled upon a patch of Mirelurk eggs was great. Hmm what are these... get away from me... protect me dogmeat!

I'm looking forward to New Vegas 2 though.

On a sidenote the PC UI and controls are complete and utter garbage but that's not unexpected at all. The better the modding community gets the worse PC releases of Bethesda games get. 

Seriously...my guy gives little to no fucks about finding his baby. I'm building bases and killing raiders. I feel I've adapted to this new environment way too quickly. But that's any Bethesda game really. 

Finally found my first energy weapon last night, not counting the Laser Musket you get early on or the legendary Laser Musket I got off a legendary Radroach (it was truly an epic battle). Basic laser pistol, but it's better than nothing. Now I need to level up again so I can get the Science! perk and start modding it. 

Oh and Vault 81...

Pretty cool, finally an active vault to explore. Cost of entry was pretty high (three fusion cores, but there's a speech option to try as well. Not sure if that'll get you in free or just reduce the cost though. I had some near empty fusion cores though and it took those ones and left the two full ones I had in my inventory so that was nice). Was able to finally do some trading as the vault has the first merchants I've come across.

Seriously...my guy gives little to no fucks about finding his baby. I'm building bases and killing raiders. I feel I've adapted to this new environment way too quickly. But that's any Bethesda game really. 

Finally found my first energy weapon last night, not counting the Laser Musket you get early on or the legendary Laser Musket I got off a legendary Radroach (it was truly an epic battle). Basic laser pistol, but it's better than nothing. Now I need to level up again so I can get the Science! perk and start modding it. 

You should follow the radio signal that leads you to the Cambridge Police Station. That kicks off a quest that ends with you getting a Legendary laser rifle called 'Righteous Authority' that's really good (its unique ability is your crit meter fills 2x and crits do 15% more damage, I think).

You should follow the radio signal that leads you to the Cambridge Police Station. That kicks off a quest that ends with you getting a Legendary laser rifle called 'Righteous Authority' that's really good (its unique ability is your crit meter fills 2x and crits do 15% more damage, I think).

Awesome. I got that quest on the way to Vault 81. Thanks for the tip.

Got Fallout 4 from greenmangaming with the 20% off voucher.

I like how cooking and food is actually worth while this time.  In Fallout 3 you started with about 200 HP and food only healed about 5, this time you start with half as much health and uncooked food heals about 15-25, cooked food heals as much or more as stimpaks and gives nice buffs.

I haven't gone very far but from what I can tell the map itself isn't that big but there is a ton of stuff to do in it.  I can see people spending dozens of hours just building up settlements.

Cooking food also removes the radiation, which is even more important given the way radiation works now IMO. 

I'm looking at pictures of insane settlements people have built and just wondering how the hell they got all those materials (unless they're just using console commands which is possible) and wishing I was that creative. I just built a rectangle with beds in and put a turret outside the front door. 

From what I've seen so far, I agree that it seems to be around the same size as Fallout 3.

Building is really unintuitive.  It wouldn't let me build walls at a 90 degree angle.  And the corner pieces wouldn't let me put  roof on top of them.  So now I have a house with 1/2 a roof, a couple beds, and 2 turrets outside.  I'm going to look for another settlement in the Northeast area of the map and try to figure it out then.

Is the game world as small as Game Informer said it is?

It's the same size as Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim. Each previous game has been denser than the one before it (and Skyrim got a lot of mileage out of vertical space in the mountains and caverns).

There was a crazy rumour early on that the game was going to be 4x the size of the previous GameBryo/Creation Engine games, but that was never confirmed by Bethesda and seems to be more wishful thinking from fans than anything.

The density in Boston in particular is way higher than anything Bethesda has done before. Unless you have your map zoomed nearly all the way in, the icons all overlap. I think every street block has at least one building you can enter; at least in the area I've been exploring.

Archived