Fallout 4

RumHam

I should be clear I've been playing on my Xbox One, not a PS4. But I haven't seen anything about the PS4 version being inferior, or especially problematic. 

I am 17 hours in so far. My modus operandi is generally to explore first, since you can always fast travel back to a location later. I've covered most of the north half of the map, though not at all thoroughly. I got far enough east to discover an insane asylum, which I thought would be awesome, but the enemies were too strong and I barely made it out. 

Nothing West?

Off topic: How do I get to last read post in a thread? It keeps taking me to the first page.

Two questions:  Are the BoS back to being technofascist assholes or are they still inexplicably Paladins?  relatedly, are the Super Mutants just reskinned Orcs for the BoS to fight, like FO3?

Assholes. 

Arthur Maxson is the new Elder, and he's much more brutal than Lyons. He hates mutants and ghouls, thinks that synthetic humans are an abomination, and basically goes to war with the Institute for that reason. A couple of them make reference to how they used to be and it's not positive - mentioning that their old elder was more focused on charity than his mission, and that before Arthur took over and restored them to glory they were just hiding in a ruin, etc. As far as I know it's never explained how they got their airship, though.

In my experience the Super Mutants have just been a generic enemy like the 'raider' is, and haven't seen any quests explaining how/why they're in the Commonwealth. Maybe I've yet to see it.

In my view the factions are generally more sensible than those in F3. I haven't seen anything like people going to war over who gets to turn on a water purifier.

Two questions:  Are the BoS back to being technofascist assholes or are they still inexplicably Paladins?  relatedly, are the Super Mutants just reskinned Orcs for the BoS to fight, like FO3?

To answer your first question one would need to spoil at least part of the BoS storyline. I haven't finished that storyline but I'm far enough that I think I can answer your question.

they're technofacist assholes 

Digging the game so far.  Haven't gotten far in the main questline.  Mainly sticking to BoS and Minutemen quests so far. Also did a fun one in Goodneighbor.  I've had the good fortune of taking advantage of a pleasant glitch in the game.  No big spoiler or anything but I feel like it's always best to play it safe in case anyone gets offended. If you've gotten to 'Taking Independence' in the Minutemen questline:

I cleared out the first wave of Mirelurks and was then welcomed by a Legendary and Queen Mirelurk.  After about ten efforts of white knuckle gripping the controller and screaming at the television, I decided it was best to ditch this quest until a later time.  All good, right?  Nope.  Preston Garvey was mortally offended that I would clock out halfway through the shift.  Ever since bailing, he has followed me from quest to quest, raider pit to super mutant stronghold, slaying every enemy that wants to take a shot at me with his glorious laser musket.  Why is this unique?  because I already have Piper with me as my companion!  Har!!  Yes, that means I am rolling through the wasteland with two badass cronies.  The only time he voices his displeasure with me is when I prompt him in dialogue.  He just tells me that we need to get back to the castle. Ha!  He fast travels with Piper and I which is amazing.  I enjoy the company.

I'm loving it so far but really have to get used to the controls again(the amount of times I hit X instead of triangle to jump is ridiculous). I'm mostly exploring and doing the Minutemen quests and finally starting to get some good guns. Trying to sort out all of the guns during battle is also something I need to straighten out. I tried the bottle-cap glitch and it works but I like the struggle so I'm not gonna keep doing it. It's good to be back in the wastelands again. 

It really bugs me that like half the major characters you run into can be your companion. Like they're just totally ready to drop everything and follow this vault dude around for no fucking reason. Remember the days when you had to spend 2000 fucking caps on Charon's contract or figure out an elaborate way to kill Greta without making literally everyone in the Underworld hostile? Little things like this are why Fallout 4 is a step back from Fallout 3.  

edit: for extended rant. It's just bad game design that's what it is. It makes you feel like the whole world was created for you as opposed to you just being a character making your way through the world. It's totally immersion breaking. And it's symptomatic of their entire approach to Fallout 4. I hate to say it but Fallout 4 has a significantly less immersive world than Fallout 3, NV and fucking Skyrim. Playing Fallout 4 just makes me want play Fallout 3 again. 

Not being able to remap the number pad controls is ridiculous. I've taken stimpaks when I've meant to jump so many times it's idiotic.

Also, even if you remap "E" to "Enter", the game still defaults to "E" for about half the things in the game. It's really fecking annoying. I don't remember having the same issues in NV or Skyrim.

Not being able to remap the number pad controls is ridiculous. I've taken stimpaks when I've meant to jump so many times it's idiotic.

Also, even if you remap "E" to "Enter", the game still defaults to "E" for about half the things in the game. It's really fecking annoying. I don't remember having the same issues in NV or Skyrim.

This game was very clearly designed with a gamepad in mind, and Bethesda clearly doesn't give a shit about PC gamers any more.  It's too bad considering they owe us their existence in the first place.

Fortunately you can play with a gamepad on PC like I do and get the best of both worlds. Arguably that's even the way Bethesda intended it to be played, since the gamepad controls are so much better but the game runs so much better on PC (and considering the issues some other major games have had this year, I don't think we can automatically assume PC versions will work properly).

Playing a FPS on PC with a gamepad? What do you take me for some kind of casual :pimp:(Closest thing to a neckbeard fedora icon I could find.)

Seriously though I haven't had much of an issue with the m+kb controls. Except for the fact that I keep opening my Pip-boy after looting corpses because it doesn't bring up a screen you have to exit anymore. Old habits die hard. 

How buggy is it?

Not as bad as any previous Bethesda game on release, even Skyrim, and certainly far better than the clusterfucks that were Oblivion, FO3 and NV.

But there are still bugs. People getting stuck on objects, people occasionally dropping through the floor etc.

Here's my review of the game: The United Federation of Charles says, "Flawed but fun" 9/10

My general view of the game is it's about halfway between Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. It's not as good as either of those games, though, because they both had their own iconic style. Despite this, it's really, really fun. I also love the fact you can romance your companions and potentially carry on multiple romances simultaneously.

Plus, who doesn't love killing Super Mutants?

Archived