NFL 2015 Week 10: Down on your Luck

Mexal

Are you doubting the power of the Hass? Come on - he won 2 of the 4  games that the Colts have won this year! And he gets to play the rest of the AFC South! He's gonna take the ball and he's gonna score!

As I posted in the other thread, Andrew Luck has been diagnosed with a lacerated kidney and partial abdominal tear. Not a good season for Luck at all. This the first year we get a 6-10 division winner hosting a playoff game?

Definitely not out of the realm of possibility. Gonna be a real crapshoot in the AFC South now.

Yea, not loving this at all. Left side is way too big and it looks stupid.

But then again, your avatar... yowza

Liking the new editor, not the look of the board in general.

ETA: How do you go tot he first unread post now? :tantrum:

ETA1: Just realized that my post count has gone down..... I was so proud when I crossed the 3000 barrier. :(

WTF?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/10/raiders-player-may-be-charged-for-taunting-a-police-dog/

According to WTAE-TV, linebacker Ray-Ray Armstrong could be facing charges arising from an incident with a police dog during Sunday’s game between Oakland and Pittsburgh at Heinz Field. He reportedly “lifted his shirt, pounded on his chest and began barking at the dog as he was heading toward the field for the game.”

But then again, your avatar... yowza

Liking the new editor, not the look of the board in general.

ETA: How do you go tot he first unread post now? :tantrum:

Same way as before I think? Click the button at the end of the thread title.

Liv Boeree is awesome. Had a buddy interview her once for BBC and she was as cool as she is hot.

This is probably the least climactic regular-seasons of football in recent memory.  The AFC East, North and West have all, realistically, been decided.  The NFC North and West have also been decided, with only nominal care to the AFC South and NFC East.  The one legit race left in football is for the NFC South and, sqad to say, the Panthers have a two-game lead there.  

That means all we really care about is where do the teams land in the playoffs.  

Right now, based upon the records, the Benagls would be the #1 seed and the Pats would be #2 with the Broncos and Colts as 3 and 4.  

Let me do a quick aside: imagine how INSANE I will become if the Pats go 16-0 and are de-facto #2 seeds because the Bengals have a stronger "strength of schedule" than the Pats, and that results in the Pats - at 16-0 -having just as many home playoff games as the sub-.500 Colts.  Imagine how bonkers I will become; you won't be able to stop me.  

So, right now, in week 8, with only the playoffs to encourage us (Jesus, I mean, here in New England, we are already ACTIVELY looking to the Denver game... IN THREE WEEKS), we have to watch for injuries and my new favorite game "Are We Sure They Are Good?"  

-The Pats lost to Washington DC 10-27.  Yeah, they won the game, but lost three starters, Lewis for the season.  The big, hidden problem with the Pats is the loss of Sebastian Vollmer, the starting Right Tackle that had to be moved to Left tackle (after losing starting LT Solder for the season), and thus making recently-off-IR, Brian Stork- the Center- the starting ... Right Tackle... No, really; that's all true.  If the Pats lose Voller for a longer stretch, its going to be bad.  

Now, the flip side?  Gronk and Brady are still healthy; Butler is only slightly bad; Blount rushed for 120+ yards; the Pats are defacto a #3 seed at absolute worst.  In the playoffs, even on the road at Cini or Denver, I like the Pats; even without Lewis.  But with a shacky left tackle?  Uh.... 

-Now, the big news of the week was that the Broncos, finally, at long last, lost a game they should have lost.  I know, I know- you were all crest-fallen when you discovered that you would not be there for the media-fueled spectacle that was Peyton Manning somehow, miraculously, breaking THE GUNSLINGER'S record of (arbitrarily large and meaningless # of yards) passing yards!  Its still stuck at -2 to tie; -3 to pass!  WOW!  PEYTON MANNING CHASING MEANINGLESS RECORDS!!!!!!  CATCH THE EXCITEMENT!  

Jim Nance was embarrassing during the game; he did everything but lube-up for the call; the meaningless, cliche ridden call to immortalize Peyton and his arbitrary stat.  Bill Simmons said something accurate (easy) in his pod-cast: its not that Peyton has 13 INTs v 9 TDs (NINE); not that he has thrown a pick in EVER GAME this season and has thrown multiple picks 4 times; its not even that the media has ignored it outright- like its not happening.  Its that Manning MUST lead the league in "Defensive-Backs-Holding-Their-Helmet-in-his-Hands-After-Dropping-A-Gimmie-INT."  He must have like a 12 point lead over the next nearest competitor.  

Watching that game reminded me- as if I needed one- why I hate the media's sycophant relationship with the Manning.  ESPN covered it, the network ran a tracker.  Just to watch Manning throw a duck INT to the Colts to give the Colts the game, and then to watch Aqib Talib poke a guy in the eye and lose the game.  Not even the Colts could fuck that up.  

But - thankfully- Manning reminded me how much I wish people would pick up on what a glory hound he is and how he always always always finds a way to blame somebody else.

Here is an article written by ESPN... or more accurately ghost written by Manning's publicist:  http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14086972/peyton-manning-consolation-postseason-determine-legacy 

Okay so here is why I don't like Manning as much as the Lord Our God, ESPN, requires me to:  Its the fact that the article does not have THIS- its Manning throwing pretty much his entire team under the bus:

“I think that (Butler) made a heck of a play to tell you the truth,” Manning said. “He kind of beat (Demaryious Thomas) to the ball. Obviously a good play by him, and had to throw it probably a little earlier than I wanted to."

So, lets break this one down.  He says that Thomas got beat, so he throws his #1 target under the bus, saying he got beat... then he, of course, throws all the guys that protect him by saying "had to throw it ...earlier than I wanted to...." so he blames all his O-linemen; the men played a fraction of what he is paid so they can eat his shit!  

So, just to recap, we all now have to love Manning because he's such a great team player.  

-And mow let play my favorite game of the season: Are We Sure they Are Really Good?  

Are we sure the Packers are really good?  Don't get me wrong, they are going to win the NFC North (mostly because of cheap shots on Teddy Bridgewater), and Aaron Rodgers is the best QB in the NFC if not the NFL, but ... are we sure they're good?  They lost 2 in a row, at Broncos and at Panthers and that Panthers game was a special kind of terrible.  Rodgers thew over 350 yards, had 4 TDs and the Packers were dominated.  The Pack D gave up 130 yards in rushing, 300 yards passing and could not grab a sack all day.  Meanwhile, the Pack GAVE UP five sacks and were a crap-tacular 3 for 14 on third down (21%).  Against the Broncos, Rodgers managed a miraculous 77 yards passing which, coincidentally, is the number of pounds Eddie Lacy has gained in the last 3 months.  ON third down, Pack was 2 for 8 (25%), and the Broncos converted on third down 50% of the time (6 for 12).  

Right now, the Packs does not have a win against a team with a greater than .500 record.  They will now enjoy a cream-puff schedule as they face 4 div opponents in a row (Minn, Chicago, Lions x2) before playing they start playing some interesting teams: Week 14 against Dallas with Romo and Bryant and who may actually still be playing for something; Week 15 at Oakland, a frisky wild-card team; and then week 16 against Arizona.  

Somewhere in there, Rodgers is likely to have his annual injury (since 2010, Rodgers has completed the whole season twice), Mike McCarthy is ABSOLUTELY going to have another coaching meltdown and is it outside the realm of possibilities that the Bears or Vikings think "You know what? We can do this!"  

So, yeah, here is my question: The Green Bay Packers: Are We Sure They're Good?  

The NFC North and West have also been decided

They have? GB is tied currently with Minnesota. Seattle has two games to catch up with Arizona, but they start that this week. The AFC North still has Pittsburgh kicking around. That seems like kind of a big deal.

Archived