Bakker XLI Redux: Measure is Still Unceasing (And a date is revealed for The Great Ordeal)

Rhom

I think if it hasn't been edited yet we have to consider the possibility that it will still be found unpublishable. 

Why would that be?  I was under the impression that editors, y'know, just edit.  Unless it's an indecipherable mess, I can't see why there would be a problem.

If it's a censorship issue, I feel like that can only help sales via promotion.  Literally the only reason I bought and read 'American Psycho' was because it was banned by progressives in my country.

Or are you suggesting editors' opinion of quality really trumps a publisher's decision on how well something will sell (i.e. if it's worth printing)?

Why would that be?  I was under the impression that editors, y'know, just edit.  Unless it's an indecipherable mess, I can't see why there would be a problem.

If it's a censorship issue, I feel like that can only help sales via promotion.  Literally the only reason I bought and read 'American Psycho' was because it was banned by progressives in my country.

Or are you suggesting editors' opinion of quality really trumps a publisher's decision on how well something will sell (i.e. if it's worth printing)?

The editor edits, the publisher publishes (if the editor refuses, the publisher finds another editor).

If there's a contract between publisher and author, the book is published (I'm guessing there's the standard clause requiring rights reversion if the book is not published within a set timeframe). The publisher declaring the thing unpublishable after accepting it is a clear-cut breach of contract. 

So if he does not have an editor... does that mean that the date for TGO is not set in stone?

No it does not mean that. Great Ordeal comes out in July 2016 ( recently confirmed once again by Overlook), Unholy Consult in 2017, exact month to be determined, as per Scott himself.

I only heard hopeful stuff in those Bakker comments. Pretty interesting that we're getting a 200 page encyclopedia attached to the final book, and his comment that that is the only thing that still requires significant work. Work he has time for, considering the 2017 release of TUC. So if he guesses that we're left with 400 pages of story for TUC it does mean there should be significant "meat" of the plot packed into book 3.

Yeah it doesn't sound like they'll miss the date, if anything their confirmation to MG suggests it's pretty solid.

I think some people in here were right the original editor went progressively insane trying to catch up on the series and TUC pushed him over the edge.

I think some people in here were right the original editor went progressively insane trying to catch up on the series and TUC pushed him over the edge.

That's what I'm saying, and I'm being (mostly) facetious.  

Oh okay, I'm pretty ignorant about such things, but I was pretty sure things ran like the Pet Leech explained.  Suggesting more waiting is possible is an easy way to get me in a tizzy. :D 

I had a hunch that it was the expanded glossary that precipitated the split into two books.  I'm actually really hyped that we are confirmed to get that in TUC.

I've mentioned this before but Camlost, Wilshire, and a growing group of readers at SA are starting a reread next week - in which I'll have no involvement except minor points of organization and hopefully a TSACast round-table after each book.

I invite anyone interested to join them there and if you have any trouble registering - as Wilshire and I deny hundreds of spam registrations every few days - message me here.

Strength on the Slog. Slog well.

No it does not mean that. Great Ordeal comes out in July 2016 ( recently confirmed once again by Overlook), Unholy Consult in 2017, exact month to be determined, as per Scott himself.

I only heard hopeful stuff in those Bakker comments. Pretty interesting that we're getting a 200 page encyclopedia attached to the final book, and his comment that that is the only thing that still requires significant work. Work he has time for, considering the 2017 release of TUC. So if he guesses that we're left with 400 pages of story for TUC it does mean there should be significant "meat" of the plot packed into book 3.

The Expanded Glossary being included in TUC-proper is actually one major change since Bakker and I exchanged any meaningful communication regarding The Second Apocalypse in summer '14, when he seemed sure that it wouldn't be included. It's extremely satisfying to hear because it fits so nicely with the stylistics established in PON.

Yeah it doesn't sound like they'll miss the date, if anything their confirmation to MG suggests it's pretty solid.

Lol - I'm going to wager that the new editorial team still hasn't or only now in the process of reading what comes before - especially for some of the weird phrasings in TGO's Amazon synopsis.

That's okay, I don't mind missing the joke.  Some people just don't care to be part of in-groups.

An in-joke where Bakker is unpublishable. Oh, what horror, that I do not belong.

The Expanded Glossary being included in TUC-proper is actually one major change since Bakker and I exchanged any meaningful communication regarding The Second Apocalypse in summer '14, when he seemed sure that it wouldn't be included. It's extremely satisfying to hear because it fits so nicely with the stylistics established in PON.

Lol - I'm going to wager that the new editorial team still hasn't or only now in the process of reading what comes before - especially for some of the weird phrasings in TGO's Amazon synopsis.

I find that Synopsis very vague anyway, its the sort of thing you could easily draw up after reading WLW without having seen TGO.

Might well be changed if we go closer to publication.

I find that Synopsis very vague anyway, its the sort of thing you could easily draw up after reading WLW without having seen TGO.

Might well be changed if we go closer to publication.

Totally.  It's practically like a summary of where each storyline stands at teh end of WLW.

Anyone got any predictions about what the unexpected side effects of eating Sranc will be?

it should be a nice comparative schema, wherein one sub-narrative features people eating cunoroi, another, sranc, and, the third, human persons.  am trying to reason through the focus on the ingestive, which is not obviously consistent with other known interests of this text.  the contrast is readily apparent, as the villains, such as they are, are more plainly oriented toward the egestive, which is just gross.

Totally.  It's practically like a summary of where each storyline stands at teh end of WLW.

Anyone got any predictions about what the unexpected side effects of eating Sranc will be?

Uncontrollable erections at violence and insatiable sexual appetites leading to masturbating hordes of men leaping into battle with their arced phalluses pointing the way. "don't fire til you see the black of their eye, boys!"

it should be a nice comparative schema, wherein one sub-narrative features people eating cunoroi, another, sranc, and, the third, human persons.  am trying to reason through the focus on the ingestive, which is not obviously consistent with other known interests of this text.  the contrast is readily apparent, as the villains, such as they are, are more plainly oriented toward the egestive, which is just gross.

ew, the coprophiliac undertones in "we are a race of lovers" suddenly comes across more, uh, unsavory (for lack of a better word)

Though maybe lends insight into the consults fear and hatred of the cish's watersportage back home the the golden ark?

Archived