UK Politics - a new thread for the new board

Maltaran

#YouAintNoMuslimBruv is such a typical London response.

I personally think 'drop it, you fool!' was even better. It's such a British response, just a step removed from 'For goodness' sake! What now?'

absolutely, exactly the sort of contempt that should be displayed.  truly bizarre that a tube station in the east end was targeted though.  

I think the word 'targeted' may turn out to be an exaggeration. 'Targeted' implies someone further up a chain of command carefully sifting strategic information. This, if it does turn out to be inspired in some way by Syria, looks like a random effort.

This isn't atypical, it seems. Similar happened after the Woolwich attack, and that was a lot more grim.

London is quite hard to terrorise, apparently.

the best pne was the man who actually went through the tube barriers to get a close look. Like...prioritoes seem a bit skewed there

the best pne was the man who actually went through the tube barriers to get a close look. Like...prioritoes seem a bit skewed there

In fairness he looks like he's maybe thinking about tackling the nutjob with a knife, probably not a good idea but you could see why someone might do it. It's the old guy with his shopping who just wonders round the corner to have a look what's going on. 

• 1 month later...

Here's a nice bit of schadenfreude, the BNP has been delisted as an official political party because they failed to pay the £25 annual fee.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35261637

Its such a shame about this bit

Party names and identities are protected for two years under the 2000 Act to prevent other parties using them.

otherwise I probably would have forked out that £25 just to stop them re-registering.

The downside would be, I'd be the only member (thus leader) of the BMP party  *shudders*   I'm not sure I could live with the shame.    and to top it off I may end up reading slash fic about myself.

Read this interesting article today about a legal case against the Department for International Development.

I was reminded of something in one of these threads a while back where Hereward asked whether anyone could come up with a reasonable justification for the Foreign Aid budget. Is that something that needs to be reconsidered if the oversight over how the money is spent is poor? The author of the article implied that at least part of the issue was the pressure on the DfID to spend their allocated budget...

ST

Read this interesting article today about a legal case against the Department for International Development.

I was reminded of something in one of these threads a while back where Hereward asked whether anyone could come up with a reasonable justification for the Foreign Aid budget. Is that something that needs to be reconsidered if the oversight over how the money is spent is poor? The author of the article implied that at least part of the issue was the pressure on the DfID to spend their allocated budget...

ST

Just for the record, I asked if anyone could come up with a reason why Cameron insisted on the overseas aid budget being untouchable, considering the scale of the cuts being made elsewhere which were more likely to revive the "Nasty Party" reputation.

In other news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-35301898?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_daily_politics_and_sunday_politics&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=news_central

We have the first openly gay Conservative Cabinet minister, and a warm welcome from Downing St, I'm pleased to say.

given the scale of the cuts I don't think anything should be ring fenced.

Each cut and budget should be considered as a whole.  yes there will be some things that we absolutely won't cut.  but it should only be after careful consideration of the full impact.

any ringfencing means other area's get cut more, and that could have a bigger impact than a small cut in a "ringfenced" budget.

As for the foreign aid budget itself,  well we have cut so much elsewhere that I'm not sure we are getting the best value for our aid.  - And that was before I read you linked article.

Its very hard for people needing food banks to understand why the government is willing to spend so much to help the poor in another country when cuts made my this government is forcing such hardships on them all in the name of cutting the deficit. 

I love Jerusalem too, but I'm not sure it's quite right for a multicultural, religiously diverse country like England. God Save the Queen doesn't work for the Commonwealth, either, with so many of its members being republics and no guarantee that the next head will be the monarch. 

Archived