UK Politics - a new thread for the new board

Maltaran

So, got a couple of bits of political mail through my door recently:

- A glossy booklet from the Government laying out their argument for staying in the EU. Didn't really tell me much I didn't already know, apart from implying that cheap flights to Europe are only so cheap because of EU membership. Didn't really extrapolate on that very much, but I guess I can believe it. There's probably a bit of half-truths mixed in there somewhere though.

- A Vote Sadiq Khan letter. Very light on information beyond the names of various London Assembly Members who support him. It said "see enclosed pamphlet for more details on his policies", but there wasn't one(!) It reminded me I should probably do some reading up on the options for London Mayor though - not all that long until the voting for that one. Any Londoners with strong views either way?

ST

8 hours ago, mormont said:

It does seem a very weak guilt-by-association argument, even without one of the linked articles on that page showing Goldsmith and other Tories posing for pictures with one of those extremists.

I don't lrust Sadiq Khan, and hope to God he never becomes London mayor, but it is a guilt-by-association argument. Being once a civil rights lawyer for terrorists does not make one a terrorist, any more than representing a rapist or murderer in court makes one a rapist or a murderer.

Has Sadiq Khan ever actually represented an actual terrorist? (As opposed to, for example, being photographed with someone who allegedly said nice things about one.)

Not Boris Johnson's finest hour.

I'm pretty astonished that someone who aspires to the Prime Ministership thinks it's acceptable to dredge up the whole disproven birther thing and flirt with racism as part of attempted political discourse and debate.

There's also significant strawmanning of Obama's position. When Johnson says that the US government would not accept outside federal control, he's missing the point that the US government is the federal control. The fear of many is that we will end up in a United States of Europe, with a structure similar to the USA. If you ask someone in Arkansas or Arizona how they feel about being ruled from Washington, there's a good chance you'll get similar arguments to the pro-exit ones in the UK about Brussels. Bizarre argumentative strategy from Johnson there.

16 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Not Boris Johnson's finest hour.

I'm pretty astonished that someone who aspires to the Prime Ministership thinks it's acceptable to dredge up the whole disproven birther thing and flirt with racism as part of attempted political discourse and debate.

There's also significant strawmanning of Obama's position. When Johnson says that the US government would not accept outside federal control, he's missing the point that the US government is the federal control. The fear of many is that we will end up in a United States of Europe, with a structure similar to the USA. If you ask someone in Arkansas or Arizona how they feel about being ruled from Washington, there's a good chance you'll get similar arguments to the pro-exit ones in the UK about Brussels. Bizarre argumentative strategy from Johnson there.

My thoughts exactly after Boris (and Douglas Carswell) came out with that argument -

"I mean, it's not as though Barack Obama is President of some sort of group of states that came together and gave up some of their sovereignty to a federal organisation in order to strengthen all the states invovled. It would almost be like some sort of 'United States,' but that's just absurd."

So London Trump is trying to emulate the original one?

Indeed. At exactly the moment that the original has worked out that's not been working so well for him and has changed course.

Archived