Doctor Who -- The Forum is Regenerating

All-for-Joffrey

Hey, all I'm saying is I could see the ending coming a mile away the second Clara said "give me the mark".

The fact that her friend was never in any real danger to begin with made her death all the more meaningless.

Well, shit happens sometimes. We've had people go out absorbing the Time Vortex, saving the universe, multiverse and omniverse. Sometimes people lose in the small stakes games. 

The writers made Clara look like a complete fool too, by having her screw with something she knew next to nothing about.

I thought that was the point? She was getting too reckless by trying to be like the Doctor. 

The fact that her friend was never in any real danger to begin with made her death all the more meaningless.

And again, there's no way anyone could have known that Rigsy wasn't actually in danger at the time so it wasn't meaningless. 

Well, shit happens sometimes. We've had people go out absorbing the Time Vortex, saving the universe, multiverse and omniverse. Sometimes people lose in the small stakes games. 

It wouldn't have to be that over the top for me to be satisfied, I would have been content with something piratical and with real stakes. Instead she dies as a result of a completely new death mechanic, with rules that seem to change on the spot, as the plot needs them to. Call me crazy, but I usually don't care about how a character dies, so long as the story around their death is good.

So people think Clara's really dead then and Moffatt's not going to handwave-undo it between next week's episode and Christmas?

If he doesn't do that and it sticks, I'll be seriously impressed.

There wouldn't be much point in undoing it only to have to shunt her off again in one of the three eps remaining. So yeah, I think she's dead.

It would be nice to see her again as a different Clara sometime in future, though. The first three times we saw her were by far her best performances (largely because of the writing, which fell apart the moment she actually joined the Tardis) so I'd be interested to see if she could repeat the trick with another future/past incarnation.

So people think Clara's really dead then and Moffatt's not going to handwave-undo it between next week's episode and Christmas?

I'm leaning towards no. The episode made a big deal about facing the raven, as opposed to running away from it which everyone else does, particularly the way Kabel says "don't run, stay with her". It's not at all clear whether she's actually dead or just unconscious at the end; we don't see the Doctor actually examine the body or anything.

My guess is that she won't return until the season finale and her fate will have something to do with the hybrid storyline. 

Just watched episode 9 and 10 back to back. 9 made absolutely no sense, which is a shame because it started off interesting. 10 I liked more, but I thought Clara was killed off pretty cheaply and I saw it coming a mile off (OK. I got spoiled by Facebook, but they'd been beating us over the head with it all series).

I think she'll appear in some sense in the finale, probably with the Doctor trying to save her by going back in his/her timeline. But there's little point in bringing her back just to make her send-off a little happier. 

I loved that episode! Moffat, I forgive you all your quirks and tropes and peculiarities. You can still write the stand-out episode of the season! 

And Peter Capaldi...:wub:

Getting my tuppence in before the logicians start dismembering everything. 

ETA: Also, it was nice seeing so much of Cardiff castle, especially the glimpses of the opulent banqueting chamber.  The choice also makes sense in the context of the episode since the Doctor has no doubt spend a great deal of time during his last few incarnations being chased down the long corridors within the castle walls by various monsters. Not surprised it's a place of horror for him!

ETETA: According to the radio times, the episode was partly filmed at Cardiff castle and partly at Caerphilly. 

I haven't seen he episode yet but I have seen the trailer. So Luwin is SomethingLikeRassilon 2.0 and when the Doctor said "I've barely started." I had the feeling that he meant that PCapaldi had barely started his Doctor awesomeness. Series 8 had some holes, series 9 didn't had many holes and series 10+ will be the quintessence of his Doctor.

WHAT.

WHAT.

WHAT.

That was unexpectedly great. Do the most experimental thing they've done in ten years, but then avert any possible pretension/wankery problems by folding the story into the one thing fans have been waiting for for ten years. And yes, I think it is time to do it. Whether it's a permanent return or just a one-off adventure and they get sealed away again, but it's important that the Doctor gets to go home after what happened to Clara (and I think it's more likely now she is dead permanently, but they may still timey wimey it).

Is the Doctor now canonically 2,000,002,000 years old?

The episode was... great. A tour de force by Capaldi, great direction, great writing, great production. I can't complain about a single thing in the actual episode

BUT

Are they going to resurrect the 'The Doctor is half-human' bit from the movie?

Is the Doctor now canonically 2,000,002,000 years old?

No, only the age he was before and the time spent in one single loop added to that.

even considering that was in his confession dial, which damn it they were broadcasting all the time and I missed completely until just now

Trailer for next week's episode.

Heck.

A Dalek, a weeping angel and a return to the Doctor's barn. And could that be the woman from Ten's final story? And an original "naked" TARDIS, and the original TARDIS interior! And yes, another appearance by Clara, but it looks it might be another dream one.

BUT did they just make the doctor some sort of chosen one/child of prophecy. Tsk.

No. And that was one of two frustrating things about the episode:

Other than that, it was brilliant.

That Ishildr called herself 'Me' just so that when the Doctor named her as the hybrid some people would go WAIT IT'S THE DOCTOR?!?

The other thing was that if I heard it correctly the Doctor claimed the long-range teleport could only have taken him a maximum of one light year from where he was... which is no distance at all in space terms. Although I guess if he went inside the confession dial rather than that being some sort of metaphor-teleporter combo that would be okay, though then why would there be stars at all, let alone ones he can triangulate position from.

Archived