Names: My column. Now featuring Davos Seaworth and an evil telepath

Ormond

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ormond, were you the one who posted the awesome name database?  You could search by origin, gender, and other ways as well.

We have another baby on the way and my wife is starting to get antsy about boy names.  We have had a girl name picked out since before the first child, we have two, but they were both boys.  I think her anxiety is moot, because it will probably be a girl, but that website was fun and helpful before.

In case anyone cares we have a Maximus (Max) and Briggs already.

That one is so far out that I'd like to have a bit more evidence before completely accepting it's true -- like the government of Queensland verifying there was a birth certificate issued with the spelling KVIIIlyn on it -- but I'm not saying it's impossible, as T9C is a name that's really been given to girls in the USA more than once.

12 minutes ago, Yagathai said:

T9C? Nancy? Tnancy? 

It's pronounced "tee-NINE-see" and originally it's one of the many colloquial intensive terms for "tiny", like "teeny-tiny", "teensy-weensy", etc. You often see the word spelled something like teeninesy, teeninetsy, teeninesea, etc. Somehow when it's used as a name the main spelling ended up as T9C. The earliest examples are from Texas but it's spread across the South and as far away as Maryland.

Here's the link to today's column. That Star Trek kiss was the first time a Black and White character kissed on an American television show. I hadn't remembered they were forced to do that by an evil telepath -- I guess that was a way to make it a bit less controversial.

http://www.omaha.com/living/cleveland-evans-irish-nickname-liam-on-international-rise/article_2556ef6f-4922-59df-8ec7-461b6373bdcb.html

Cool column.  I had a student and wrestler names Liam, he is 18 now.  I am guessing his parents did not think his name would become so popular!  Funny thing is, his older brother is Aiden (another name that seems to be way more popular than when he was named).  They do have some Irish decent.

Archived