2015 Goodreads Choice Awards

AncalagonTheBlack

For some reason they put Uprooted in YA Fantasy.  That is insane.  I voted for it anyway.

I voted in every category I read a book from.

The Fifth Season for Fantasy

Ancillary Mercy for Sci-FI

The Library at Mount Char for Debut author (nice to see, I put him in as a write-in for opening round.

Uprooted for YA Fantasy

Rat Queens for Graphic novel.

If I was to guess I would say Uprooted and Ancillary Mercy have the best chance to win of my votes. .

For some reason they put Uprooted in YA Fantasy.  That is insane.  I voted for it anyway.

I voted in every category I read a book from.

The Fifth Season for Fantasy

Ancillary Mercy for Sci-FI

The Library at Mount Char for Debut author (nice to see, I put him in as a write-in for opening round.

Uprooted for YA Fantasy

Rat Queens for Graphic novel.

If I was to guess I would say Uprooted and Ancillary Mercy have the best chance to win of my votes. .

I'm all for Uprooted going into YA if it means I get to vote for it. Otherwise it loses out to The Fifth Season, which is a real shame.

(But yeah, I didn't view it as YA but whatever, neither was Half a King etc. to me)

The final nominees make me want to throw up in my mouth(mostly).

I mean....Aftermath? AFTERMATH?

I can honestly say I;ve read BETTER SWORD OF TRUTH BOOKS.

I've read 3 of the final nominees in fantasy and would happily vote for 2 of them. That's something, at least

The Liar's Key got cut at the semi-final stage. Not a big surprise as I've not reached the final since the paranormal romance and urban fantasy categories got mixed in with the fantasy category.

I was impressed that this book made the final:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12444297-burned

It's the first time I've seen a write-in title do that. Not even Sanderson or Abercrombie managed to make the final when they were write-ins!

The sf choices are baffling to me as well, at least in a couple places: I still can't say anything about Aftermath yet as I haven't gotten to it [though I will soon], but Armada, Goodreads? Are you really very sure? Look, tastes differ and so on, but I have read every single page of Armada and my friends that is one bad fucking book. It's exciting, it's got nerdy references, it reads easily, but none of those things make it good; it is indulgent trope-dependent wank. Turning in the opposite direction, if the voters are into ongoing space opera series, as it seems they are, I'm very puzzled and disappointed by the absence of Nemesis Games, which is a stellar installment in its series and a book I like a lot. Linda Nagata's The Red also seems like it might have appealed to the action sf voters if more of 'em had read it. Still, the list's got plenty that's good on it: Bacigalupi's The Water Knife is often compelling and disturbing; parts of Stephenson's Seveneves [specially in the first two thirds] are some of the best sf sequences I've read this year even if the book gets a little thin in other places; Atwood's The Heart Goes Last has its moments; Brown's Golden Son is often kinda dopey but brings wicked cool action; I haven't gotten to Leckie's Ancillary Mercy yet but am confident of its greatness. Disappointed not to see Walton's Just City, Ives-Gilman's Dark Orbit, and Robinson's Aurora, which I'm reading right now and think has some nontrivial problems but feels like a major sf work. Some glaring absences, but there's a lot that's good here.

Have only read two things in ya fantasy, Novik's Uprooted and Tahir's An Ember in the Ashes. Go Uprooted, woo yeah Uprooted, by a mile, but Ember isn't a totally demented shortlist choice so far as I'm concerned. List reminds me I should get to a couple others here [Meier, Bardugo.] Disappointed not to see Abercrombie's Half the World, my favourite of his in some time and a book I really dug.

Surprised by how little of the fantasy I've read -- though some of it, like Butcher and of course Hobb, is in my future plans. I think I've actually only gotten to The Fifth Season thus far, but The Fifth Season kicks ass so to the extent that I'm rooting for anything in the Goodreads awards that's what I'm rooting for. Oh, I've read Schwab's A Darker Shade of Magic too, which I think is a fine book but not on the same level as the Jemisin, so boo yeah Fifth Season. Disappointed not to see Liu's The Grace of Kings, which grew on me, though I'd still go Fifth Season. I dunno where Bear's Karen Memory should go category-wise, but wherever it is its absence is fucking bullshit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived