My Interpretation of Eddard's "wolf blood" comment

TimJames

This. I really don't know where OP gets this "too good for this world" thing. Can you explain? Because the way I saw it, Ned tires to be neutral about it but adds a bit of a warning. Impulsive behaviour is not great to survive, and only focusing on what one wants is what destroys the pack under times of duress.

Brandon did many an impulsive thing. Daking lady Dustin's virginity would have made things difficult for his dad. Maybe he did cause difficulty?  Arya hating her sister is another example. Sansa is like Ned. Reserved, almost pliant at times. Lyana liked to play swords and ride horses. She also may have fallen in lust with a prince and ditched her families retinue for said lust.
Either way, "Wolf's Blood" does not mean too good for this cruel world."   The north is cold and cruel. Cat remarks several times on the cold cruelty of northern justice

At one point, Eddard says something along the lines of "Lyanna's wolf blood lead her to her grave". Many fans have argued that this proves Lyanna eloped, but I have a theory on something else Eddard could have meant by that.

I think Eddard was saying something along the lines of "Lyanna was too good for this cruel world". 

Thoughts?

How do you figure?

I always thought it meant Lyanna was wild, reckless, and "untamed" the way a wolf is.

Wolves are wild and don't just sit around passivly. They do dangerous things and it sometimes gets them into trouble.

That was consistent with Lyanna's character. She wasn't just a perfect angel who did the right thing always ( like Elia Martell probably was). She fought, argued and got into trouble.

Since Robert is the only one who believes Lyanna was brutally raped by Rhaegar, we can only  assume that she wasn't.

If Eddard believed she was abducted and raped, we would have heard him express more hatred for Rhaegar, the same way he expresses hatred and contempt for the Lannisters, or for Littlefinger or Varys.

Whenever Robert goes off on a tangent about the "murdering rapist Rhaegar!" Ned never joins in, and never encourages or validates Robert's thoughts about it.

Like most things I believe it is neither positive nor negative. It means to be wild a reckless but also independent and resilient.

There is also this scene:

And then, far far off, beyond the godswood and the haunted towers and the immense stone walls of Harrenhal, from somewhere out in the world, came the long lonely howl of a wolf. Gooseprickles rose on Arya’s skin, and for an instant she felt dizzy. Then, so faintly, it seemed as if she heard her father’s voice. “When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives,” he said.

“But there is no pack,” she whispered to the weirwood. Bran and Rickon were dead, the Lannisters had Sansa, Jon had gone to the Wall. “I’m not even me now, I’m Nan.”

“You are Arya of Winterfell, daughter of the north. You told me you could be strong. You have the wolf blood in you.”

ACOK

Ned did not even believe in Others and was unaware that his own children were wargs. Starks forgotten a lot about themselves.

Brandon did many an impulsive thing. Daking lady Dustin's virginity would have made things difficult for his dad. Maybe he did cause difficulty?  Arya hating her sister is another example. Sansa is like Ned. Reserved, almost pliant at times. Lyana liked to play swords and ride horses. She also may have fallen in lust with a prince and ditched her families retinue for said lust.Either way, "Wolf's Blood" does not mean too good for this cruel world."   The north is cold and cruel. Cat remarks several times on the cold cruelty of northern justice

Since when does Arya hate Sansa?

Wolf blood means a wild, untamed side. Being impulsive, not taking into consideration all rules and considerations and consequences. Defying social norms. These are mostly bad things because others react badly to those who break the espected rules or norms, and impulsive behavior can be dangerous but they can have a positive side as well. In regards to maybe living your life with more freedom, or surviving, if it requires someone more wild, violent and impulsive to do it.

Since when does Arya hate Sansa?

Sansa lied by  not telling the whole story about  the way Joff threatened Mica the butcher's boy and what transpired with Nymeria.   
This is on top of the fact that sansa is quite lady like, a trait the Arya lacks and often puts her at odds with her Septa and her mother. The point of the wolf blood speech from Ned is that the Starks in KL are surrounded by enemies and that the most important thing is family. The bit about the lone wolf dying but the pack surviving is specifically about the starks and we see what happens when Sansa goes around her dad. Arya ends up in the street, her master is dead, her father gets executed and her sister becomes all but a prisoner  to be abused by the king.

Like most things I believe it is neither positive nor negative. It means to be wild a reckless but also independent and resilient.

There is also this scene:

And then, far far off, beyond the godswood and the haunted towers and the immense stone walls of Harrenhal, from somewhere out in the world, came the long lonely howl of a wolf. Gooseprickles rose on Arya’s skin, and for an instant she felt dizzy. Then, so faintly, it seemed as if she heard her father’s voice. “When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives,” he said.

“But there is no pack,” she whispered to the weirwood. Bran and Rickon were dead, the Lannisters had Sansa, Jon had gone to the Wall. “I’m not even me now, I’m Nan.”

“You are Arya of Winterfell, daughter of the north. You told me you could be strong. You have the wolf blood in you.”

ACOK

Ned did not even believe in Others and was unaware that his own children were wargs. Starks forgotten a lot about themselves.

If we have learned anything from GRRM'S writing, it's that he does not deal in absolutes, in extremes, in black & white. The Starks are George's protagonists and Arya is one of his favorate characters. It therfore ONLY makes that this^^^^^ is the intended meaning of "Wolf's Blood." All of these negative definitions are simply taking the phrase out of context. Is Ned going to insult his daughter to her face by insulting his deceased and beloved brother and sister? I don't think so...

Edit: And btw, Arya did not hate her sister. Most 9yr olds have a conflicted relationship with a slightly older sister. It's realistic writing not a character flaw.

If we have learned anything from GRRM'S writing, it's that he does not deal in absolutes, in extremes, in black & white. The Starks are George's protagonists and Arya is one of his favorate characters. It therfore ONLY makes that this^^^^^ is the intended meaning of "Wolf's Blood." All of these negative definitions are simply taking the phrase out of context. Is Ned going to insult his daughter to her face by insulting his deceased and beloved brother and sister? I don't think so...

Edit: And btw, Arya did not hate her sister. Most 9yr olds have a conflicted relationship with a slightly older sister. It's realistic writing not a character flaw.

That Arya is his favorite character does not mean she is perfect or her "wolf-blood" has to be a good point. Wolf-blood is honestly a double-edged sword, it can mean brave and passionate, it can also mean hot-temper and reckless and even foolish.

For Lyanna and Brandon, wolf-blood showed the bad effect. Ned is criticizing them by a mild way and used this as a warning for Arya. He loved Brandon and Lyanna so he can not say: they are gallant fool and hormone-blinded teenager, they doomed themselves by their reckless behavior. 

I think "wolf's blood" just refers to impulsivity. In a sense, we could say that Loras has "wolf's blood" as he is young, arrogant, and in some instances hot-headed. I don't think it's meant to indicate anything beyond a character's propensity to act before thinking through all the possible consequences. I don't think Ned giving his daughter a lesson in pragmatism and familial loyalty was meant to either compliment or denigrate any of his siblings. 

I read that chapter again. No where did she want to kill or hurt Sansa. The sisters got in a squabble and she ran to her room without being excused from her septa. She locked the door and grabbed Needle with thoughts of running away and finding Nymeria and seeing Jon. Her father busts her with Needle in her hand and he gives her a lecture and comfort because he can tell she is so unhappy in Kings Landing and suffering trauma and guilt over what happned with both Lady and Micah. No violence but raised her voice to her septa.

That Arya is his favorite character does not mean she is perfect or her "wolf-blood" has to be a good point. Wolf-blood is honestly a double-edged sword, it can mean brave and passionate, it can also mean hot-temper and reckless and even foolish.

For Lyanna and Brandon, wolf-blood showed the bad effect. Ned is criticizing them by a mild way and used this as a warning for Arya. He loved Brandon and Lyanna so he can not say: they are gallant fool and hormone-blinded teenager, they doomed themselves by their reckless behavior. 

Did I say Arya was perfect? Did I agree with a post that defined the term as only positive? No I did not. I agreed with a post that defined it as having two sides...much like you do with exception that I don't focus only on the negative side. Just because you prefer to do that does not mean the positive side doesn't exist. It's called not being biased. Give it a try.

Your choice to view Ned's description of his daughter and siblings as negative, is your perogative. I prefer to use common sense and not elaborate on a mystery story because I can't be patient for a resolution. I can withhold judgement for further evidence.

Did I say Arya was perfect? Did I agree with a post that defined the term as only positive? No I did not. I agreed with a post that defined it as having two sides...much like you do with exception that I don't focus only on the negative side. Just because you prefer to do that does not mean the positive side doesn't exist. It's called not being biased. Give it a try.

Your choice to view Ned's description of his daughter and siblings as negative, is your perogative. I prefer to use common sense and not elaborate on a mystery story because I can't be patient for a resolution. I can withhold judgement for further evidence.

I am not focusing only on the negative side, but we are talking about Ned's comments on their "early deaths", are not we?

apparently here wolf blood caused a bad ending. 

And yes, Ned tried to use this to let Arya know, my dear daughter, you sometimes have to control your temper, see your aunt and your uncle?they died before their time because they can not control their fury (or hormone). 

I am not focusing only on the negative side, but we are talking about Ned's comments on their "early deaths", are not we?

apparently here wolf blood caused a bad ending. 

And yes, Ned tried to use this to let Arya know, my dear daughter, you sometimes have to control your temper, see your aunt and your uncle?they died before their time because they can not control their fury (or hormone). 

1st, Ned never said Brandon died due to his wolf blood, did he? He said Brandon had more than Lyanna. That's all. 

2nd, Just because Ned wants to tame his spirited daughter by claiming her aunt died because she had a touch of Wolf's blood, does NOT mean the reader can jump the cause-and-effect trail and say that Wolf's Blood cause Lyanna's bad ending. An infection from childbirth caused Lyanna's death.

The wolf's blood has certainly paid off for Arya, hasn't it? She would be dead if she had not continued to rely on herself to get out of dangerous situations she was put in rather than accept the fate others wished to inflict upon her. 

3rd, feel free to deem Ned a critic of the wolf blood inherent in his family. I don't really think Arya's behavior warranted a lecture on controlling her temper. I think he was trying to tell her to not alienate herself (be so independent) from Sansa because the lone wolf dies and the pack survives...like he said in the same conversation. 

1st, Ned never said Brandon died due to his wolf blood, did he? He said Brandon had more than Lyanna. That's all. 

2nd, Just because Ned wants to tame his spirited daughter by claiming her aunt died because she had a touch of Wolf's blood, does NOT mean the reader can jump the cause-and-effect trail and say that Wolf's Blood cause Lyanna's bad ending. An infection from childbirth caused Lyanna's death.

The wolf's blood has certainly paid off for Arya, hasn't it? She would be dead if she had not continued to rely on herself to get out of dangerous situations she was put in rather than accept the fate others wished to inflict upon her. 

3rd, feel free to deem Ned a critic of the wolf blood inherent in his family. I don't really think Arya's behavior warranted a lecture on controlling her temper. I think he was trying to tell her to not alienate herself (be so independent) from Sansa because the lone wolf dies and the pack survives...like he said in the same conversation. 

you are a little bit confusing here. 

ned knew lyanna died by fever of childbirth, he knew more than readers (including you) on lyanna's story. He said her wolf blood sent her to early grave, not her childbed fever. he was in a better position to evaluate this and more trustful than reader at this point. 

It is meaningless that you claimed here "infection caused lyanna's death" when we were talking about this RLJ story. 

Why do not you just say it is the gravity and seawater which caused ashara's death? 

Or the sharp sword caused Ned's death? 

Archived