Big Bang Theory: It's so sad now

Ser Scot A Ellison

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Jaxom,

Who was right about the Mother?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day! :P

And while I understand, and totally don't disbelieve your theory, I think it's too dark for this particular sitcom. 

I did not see it coming, I was surprised by it. I wonder how come Bernie has changed her mind, she seemed very sure she did not want that the last time they talked about it.

I really do not want to see Sheldon having a baby.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Jaxom,

Who was right about the Mother?

You were right and it was one of the worst decisions writers have made.  Hopefully they wouldn't spend 8 years with Howard stating how it made him feel only to turn into the same person.

Why would Sheldon having a baby be so bad? I mean, how many times has he talked about his prodigy, about selecting the proper mate for his child? Granted he wanted test tube babies but it still stands that he has discussed having children. He also has stated that Amy has the qualities he would want due to her intelligence.

Now, it would be silly to have more than one pregnancy in the next season and a half but if it's a wrap up then go ahead and show what you want them to be in the future.

And no way Howard takes off for real. They may do an episode or two where he freaks out a little but he will be there in the end, I mean, he was the one pushing to have a kid.

I would feel terribly, terribly sorry for the poor baby having to be brought up by Sheldon. He is the one who needs taking care of, he is simply not able to take care of a being wholly dependant on him.

ETA: With his "lets have coitus only when it is your birthday" regime, it is pretty unlikely that Amy gets pregnant. :leaving:

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Dbunting,

With this show, I'm probably wrong.  Its tone is much lighter than where HIMYM was willing to go.  That said Howard has always been a selfish ass.  It would be in character for him to bail.

Yes, HIMYM routinely went into more dramatic themes than Bang does. I just see a "normal" guy freak out when he gets the news. A couple episodes of how my life will change etc. Yes he is selfish and juvenile but he loves the idea of family, plus it gives a man an excuse to play video games! Spending valuable time with the kids! We raised my wife's two nephews along side our daughter and we spent countless hours together with the PS2. Homework and game time combined between turns.

Regardless of what poor child would have to live with, Sheldon having a baby would be going a bit too much. There are some things that can be done right, like the sex was, but ultimately having Sheldon siring an heir would be pushing it and it wouldn't be a natural conclusion of the story. Even though most American TV shows teach us that growing up equals with marriage and having the kids, I am not sure it would be the right thing here. 

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Jaxom,

Maybe.  We'll see.

3 hours ago, Greywolf2375 said:

You were right and it was one of the worst decisions writers have made.  Hopefully they wouldn't spend 8 years with Howard stating how it made him feel only to turn into the same person.

It would be perfect if this was more of a heavy drama...the son becoming the father.  Or reversing it and having Bernie be the one who leaves...it actually feels like a Steinbeck novel or something...I can't see TBBT going there though...

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Greywolf,

Tracey's passing was handled poorly in the HIMYM finale but it could have been done well.  

The mother dying, in the end, wasn't the sin of HIMYM.  It was Ted running straight to Robin.  It was awful.

Jaxom,

With regard to HIMYM I absolutely agree.  They spent 9 years building up to Tracey's reveal and the conclusion of Ted's story.  To be so tone deaf as to kill Tracey and not show Ted's grief and later recovery from her death was a really poor decision.  The worst part is I loved Ted and Tracey together during the last season.  They just seemed to create that synergy you would see in a truely happy marriage.  Having him run to Robin seconds after the reveal was terrible story management.

22 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Jaxom,

With regard to HIMYM I absolutely agree.  They spent 9 years building up to Tracey's reveal and the conclusion of Ted's story.  To be so tone deaf as to kill Tracey and not show Ted's grief and later recovery from her death was a really poor decision.  The worst part is I loved Ted and Tracey together during the last season.  They just seemed to create that synergy you would see in a truely happy marriage.  Having him run to Robin seconds after the reveal was terrible story management.

The only messed up thing about it is that the mother wasn't Robyn. That was the only thing that would have worked. Have kids complain about the length of the story and all the "episodes". But then again, I thoroughly enjoyed the sadness of the episode in which Robyn speaks to her unborn children.

44 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Risto,

Robin and Ted were terrible together.  Compare Robin's reaction to Ted when she thought he was proposing to Tracey's when he did propose.  Polar opposites.  

It can be said a lot on the subject how bad they are together. But, if the plan was always for him to end up with her, her being the mother would work much better than having him run back to her yet again.

Thematically, having Tracey be a surrogate mother for Robin & Barney's child would have been best, with Ted explaining all that to explain why the kid wouldn't be biologically their siblings, but family nonetheless.  With the story taking place over the course of the day that Tracey is in labor.

Maybe they can do that on TBBT with Amy surrogate for Penny & Leonard, and Sheldon growing up in the process.

Given that Sheldon found coitus to be a rather pleasant experience and obviously Amy enjoyed it, my guess is that the two of them will take less than a year before it happens again. Maybe they should just drop it into a conversation late in the season that the two of them have been engaging in regular coitus for quite a while and then get a reaction from the rest.

Sheldon could easily be seen as a father but an infuriating one. He'd probably be too analytical about raising kids, rather like Leonard's mother.  

Archived