New forum layout

TheLightning Lord

To be honest, folks, every time we've moved or changed design, people complained. When we went to EzBoard they wanted it to look like EESite, when we went to Westeros's first skins, people wanted it to look like EzBoard, when we revised the skins, people wanted it to look like the old skins.

It will take some getting used to, yes, and I'm sure there are some places for improvement which we'll get to over time. But this upgrade is much-needed and there's no option for reverting to old skins without downgrading to a version of the platform which is out of date and which has been presenting us problems because of that.

We may have to revert regardless if issues aren't resolvable, but it won't be due to design issues.

We're hoping to be able to resolve that, if Invision finishes the rebuild of an October 13th database that they have been working on for nearly a month. They have hit a big backlog of support issues, so we don't yet know the status of that. Over a week ago they were at 80% done.

We're in the process of re-working a massive website too (over 600,000 members) and our median age is about 50...so we have folks who not only don't like change,,,they actively resist it...I feel for you. We're going to 'flip the switch' in about 2 weeks and I cringe at the fallout that is sure to come down on us. This is only our 3rd redesign since 2001...so folks are set in their ways.

It will all be fine in a month...just got to get over the hump. The only thing I find off-putting is the dark black bars.(a charcoal gray would be less distracting...but not the same shade as our names...darker than that) I'm not going to address functionality at the moment because that is still being worked on. Other than that, it's clean and the overall appearance is quite nice. Yes, I liked the old skin, but I'm about the info, not the aesthetics...I liked our old skin at my website too, but understand that change is necessary if you want to appear relevant.

Post counts were running for years without any downward adjustments when we deleted threads, which we did quite a lot. Unfortunately, the upgrade process did not allow us to specify that post counts should not be revised. I think I lost 20,000 or more, for my part.

We may possibly be able to correct this once everything is said and done, by extracting the post count data from the old database and reinserting it into the new. But no guarantees, and it will be awhile before we feel that that's an issue we can spend time on.

Ran--

I found the post numbers that used to appear for each post in a thread quite useful, especially when trying to refer someone back to an up-thread post that addressed an issue without having to re-print the prior post. The post numbers also are helpful in figuring out how close a thread is to reaching the max of 400 posts.

Any chance the post numbers will be added back?

Archived