Football Thread No. WhoCares - Let's keep the conversation going

baxus

4 replies in 3 days... That's what international football break does to people.

Also: all posts in this thread will be gone when the database is replaced with a more complete one in the next few days.

Plus Germany's last game was kind of overshadowed by real world events.

Also: all posts in this thread will be gone when the database is replaced with a more complete one in the next few days.

Plus Germany's last game was kind of overshadowed by real world events.

Well, we're not going to sit around, waiting for the database issues to get resolved without posting anything, are we?

Hungary qualified for a major tournament after 30 years, and I think that's worth the mention, even with all the things that happened in Paris.

P.S. Football matches are real world events too, you know? It's not as if they take place in Middleearth, Westeros or Azeroth. :P

Well, I considered making a post during half time of Norway v Hungary, but I thought, since Norway's players couldn't seem to be arsed to make an effort on the pitch, why should I make an effort to figure out cutting, disparaging comments? Or worse yet, they were actually trying, and simply suck that much.

The second half may have been better, I don't know. I was busy mentally redesigning my kitchen.

Well, we're not going to sit around, waiting for the database issues to get resolved without posting anything, are we?

Waste my sparkling wit on a thread soon to be consigned to oblivion? Surely you jest.

Good for Hungary, though.

P.S. Football matches are real world events too, you know? It's not as if they take place in Middleearth, Westeros or Azeroth. :P

Considering that many football officials seem to think that they aren't subject to the same laws as ordinary mortals I'm not sure that's entirely correct.

(I actually meant that the relatively unimportant friendly was overshadowed by something much more newsworthy, though I can see how the phrasing could be confusing)

Well, I considered making a post during half time of Norway v Hungary, but I thought, since Norway's players couldn't seem to be arsed to make an effort on the pitch, why should I make an effort to figure out cutting, disparaging comments? Or worse yet, they were actually trying, and simply suck that much.

The second half may have been better, I don't know. I was busy mentally redesigning my kitchen.

It wasn't. But it was nice to see that my impression over the last few years - that we don't really have good enough footballers - holds up when we meet a team slightly above average. 

No Euros for us..

I can accept that we don't have a Neuer, Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo or Zlatan to get us out of trouble single-handedly. But the fundamentals - passing, heading, crossing, positioning etc - are roughly on par with your average schoolyard pick-up game ATM.

Nigeria probably should have started Iheanacho and Martins against Swaziland.  I mean seriously, why are we struggling against Swaziland.... <_<,... ugh.   Anyway,... nice to see a coach who is finally making reasonable roster decisions in charge.  Iheanacho should have been at least invited to a camp a year ago just to get him familiar with his future teammates.  The kid has no trouble staying humble from my observation of him.  He seems very shy.   And Manu Pellegrini seems to say the same of him, that he works very hard in training which is why he's at least getting the chance he's getting considering that City doesn't like young people.   So Oliseh has the return leg to make good, and start those two.  I would like to see Iheanacho take over at attacking mid for the Super Eagles at least and let Obi Mikel stay back as the holding mid.  You could then pair Martins and Musa up front and have a strong attacking formation.   Nigeria's attack has been blunt for much of the past two decades with some promise from a few players but a decided lack of attacking creativity.  Iheanacho is a huge part of solving that puzzle in a few years and Martins is a quality finisher to pair with Musa.   It would be a shame if Iheanacho becomes a star with City but Nigeria fails to qualify for the World Cup in '14...:rolleyes:

Awesome result for Rep of Ireland. Just beautiful.

The quality of nation vs nation football will never match the highest levels of the club game, but no mercenary football can match the pure drama and passion of internationals.

Nigeria probably should have started Iheanacho and Martins against Swaziland.  I mean seriously, why are we struggling against Swaziland.... <_<,... ugh.   Anyway,... nice to see a coach who is finally making reasonable roster decisions in charge.  Iheanacho should have been at least invited to a camp a year ago just to get him familiar with his future teammates.  The kid has no trouble staying humble from my observation of him.  He seems very shy.   And Manu Pellegrini seems to say the same of him, that he works very hard in training which is why he's at least getting the chance he's getting considering that City doesn't like young people.   So Oliseh has the return leg to make good, and start those two.  I would like to see Iheanacho take over at attacking mid for the Super Eagles at least and let Obi Mikel stay back as the holding mid.  You could then pair Martins and Musa up front and have a strong attacking formation.   Nigeria's attack has been blunt for much of the past two decades with some promise from a few players but a decided lack of attacking creativity.  Iheanacho is a huge part of solving that puzzle in a few years and Martins is a quality finisher to pair with Musa.   It would be a shame if Iheanacho becomes a star with City but Nigeria fails to qualify for the World Cup in '14...:rolleyes:

How well has Iwobi been playing for Nigeria?

Archived