Football Thread No. WhoCares - Let's keep the conversation going

baxus

Isn't it pretty rare (and practically unheard of) for a Russian national team player to play in a league other than the one in Russia? 

No. It probably doesn't happen as often as, say, Brazilians moving abroad, but there are plenty of Russia internationals who have played in foreign leagues.

Real are gonna appeal, of course. But I don't how much help it will be or if any at all.:D

Fixed.

Isn't it pretty rare (and practically unheard of) for a Russian national team player to play in a league other than the one in Russia? 

It's not common, especially these days, because of the disproportionate amount of money the Russian league offers compared to the actual quality of the players, but it's not unheard of. It was only relatively recently that Andrey Arshavin and Roman Pavlyuchenko were plying their trade in the PL. Mind, those two probably helped the current lack, coz when you're paying big money to prise a player away you want them to do better than those did.

Arshavin. Man, what a waste of a talent that move was.

Not actually. Arshavin (Arsenal), Pavlyuchenko(Tottenham), Biljaletdinov (Everton), Zhirkov (Chelsea). Usually England is their common destination, but none of them really adapted to life and style in PL. Arshain had a very promising start...he basically cost us title with his four goals. damn you Arshavin. That being said, Spain is a bit unusual for them.

Not actually. Arshavin (Arsenal), Pavlyuchenko(Tottenham), Biljaletdinov (Everton), Zhirkov (Chelsea). Usually England is their common destination, but none of them really adapted to life and style in PL. Arshain had a very promising start...he basically cost us title with his four goals. damn you Arshavin. That being said, Spain is a bit unusual for them.

Spain isn't that unusual of a destination, either, really. Karpin and Mostovoi spent most of their playing careers in Spain, for example.

Nowadays Russian clubs probably pay better than most other clubs in the world, so there's less incentive to move.

I almost forgot about Smertin and Kanchelskis.

Spain isn't that unusual of a destination, either, really. Karpin and Mostovoi spent most of their playing careers in Spain, for example.

Nowadays Russian clubs probably pay better than most other clubs in the world, so there's less incentive to move.

I totally forgot about them and especially Karpin. Good point. Nowadays maybe Zenit can pay more than English clubs(thanks to Gazprom,don't know about the rest), but in general certainly is good enough for them no to move abroad. Most of all their adaptation is not so good and smooth...it's a big part of it. Zhirkov and others were simply struggling with that in England. They rather stay home and play it safe. Their teams are in the Champions League or in Europa League.

Funny thing is that. I mean look at English players for example. They rarely move abroad.

Anyone who saw his destruction of Liverpool at Anfield in 2009 will surely agree with you.

Wenger totally ruined him.

Anyone who saw him in Zenit's UEFA Cup run the year before or against Holland in the Euros would too. He was utterly, utterly ridiculous.

I don't think you can entirely blame Wenger, there was a lack of dedication there, but refusing to even seriously try him in the no10 role was a mistake.

Also, right time of year for this.

Anyone who saw him in Zenit's UEFA Cup run the year before or against Holland in the Euros would too. He was utterly, utterly ridiculous.
I don't think you can entirely blame Wenger, there was a lack of dedication there, but refusing to even seriously try him in the no10 role was a mistake.

Also, right time of year for this.

A lot of my mates were worried he was going to repeat the mistake will Ozil. And for a time, it looked like they were right.

But, yeah, if only Wenger had given him a proper crack in the hole. £15m is a lot of money to pay for a totally ineffective arse shaving.

A lot of my mates were worried he was going to repeat the mistake will Ozil. And for a time, it looked like they were right.

But, yeah, if only Wenger had given him a proper crack in the hole. £15m is a lot of money to pay for a totally ineffective arse shaving.

Eh - there was zero effort put in by him in many, many games. Most of it was done to the player, imo. He looked like he couldn't be bothered doing anything that involved defending. I don't put that down to the manager. 

Yeah, you guys must be new to Liverpool. We'll probably get blasted 3-0 by Newcastle for starters.

That would happen under Rogers or Hodgson...not Klopp. Players seems to be fully on board with him and his ideas. Newcastle is always tough ground, but we'll win comfortably. I didn't expect this reaction from boys, but Klopp certainly brings a lot of optimism to many of our fans.

Jordan Henderson has been diagnosed with incurable foot injury He will have to to play in pain throughout has whole career. Unlucky Hendo but he's a tough lad.

Archived