Football Thread No. WhoCares - Let's keep the conversation going

baxus

You know what, thinking about yesterday: the really annoying thing is that (for the first time, perhaps), the front three of Lingard, Depay and Martial looked like a lineup with real potential - if they're kept together and playing regularly, then in a year or so they're going to be really something. Not enough now, though. Obviously.

Also Mata had a really strange game where he began imperiously and set up the goal and several other chances but by the hour mark he'd faded and was definitely the player I'd have taken off, despite media yelping on that score. Although Nick Powell would certainly not have been the player I'd have brought on.

Sturridge has suffered a hamstring injury and is expected to miss several weeks. Blimey.

Dany has spent 1069 days with LFC and been injured for more than half of that time.

So we can expect Wenger to put in a bid in the January Window then.

You know what, thinking about yesterday: the really annoying thing is that (for the first time, perhaps), the front three of Lingard, Depay and Martial looked like a lineup with real potential - if they're kept together and playing regularly, then in a year or so they're going to be really something. Not enough now, though. Obviously.

That front three certainly has potential (and pace) and hopefully LVG gives them a run of games. Looking at our squad though the only conclusion I can draw is that we are no longer a top tier side. We have a few young players with potential but how many in that squad can be described as the 'finished article'? Arsenal, City and Chelsea all have better squads. Fortunately, Chelsea have been shit and Arsenal and City continue to drop points which has allowed us to keep in touch. The BIG problem is that while we are flush with cash, our dealings in the transfer market has been woeful and Woodward needs to shoulder the bulk of the blame for that. I think that LVG has done about as well as could be expected given the squad at his disposal.

He's alive! He's aliiiiive!!

Just thought I'd drop in quickly after probably my favourite ten minutes of the season so far happened last night across various games in Europe...

Just thought I'd drop in quickly after probably my favourite ten minutes of the season so far happened last night across various games in Europe...

That's a shame, you should have dropped by last weekend after the game against Stoke, we could have had a nice chat about that.

Given the current squad we have, I wouldn't mind if that stays the front line for a while and see where that goes.

Only Rooney could come back in and there is a very solid argument to be made that he really shouldn't come back in.

As for LvG, as frustrating as his reign continues to be, I am not sold on the idea that:

1) The board would be willing to sack him even if it continues as it does, with Moyes having been sacked early as well. I think everybody really thought LvG would pull the club out of the mud, and clearly he hasn't done that by any means, but to actually sack him now is another story.

2) the team will actually perform better with another manager ( and please never Mourinho!). I think a lot of the problems are actually with the squad and not just the manager. There's a distinct lack of class, and not a single one who you'd really consider to be one of the top players in the league, United currently doesn't have that.

Rage. Hate. Simmer.

I'm back in England just in time to face my Arsenal supporting mates (and brother). I almost hope they go out too but not really, I like them to do well in Euope.

ps. I think both Calibandar and Consigliere are going a bit overboard with how weak our squad is. Attacking-wise none of them are stars yet and the closest thing, Mata, continues to frustrate and irritate, but (despite the lapses last night) our defence is very good and it's not just because we play quite defensively. Smalling has been superb this season (hope that injury isn't too lengthy), Darmian and Blind very good, and De Gea is a superstar.

What we lack is depth in midfield (we're fine there when Herrera's playing) and experience and cutting edge in attack.

I don't believe that I've gone overboard. Yes, we do have players with the potential - whether they fulfill that potential remains to be seen. I think that it is fair comment to say that judging our squad as it currently is, we are not a top tier side.

Poor form, Alex.  Looks like a sunshiner.

United's squad is pretty strong for the PL, if the manager would get out of his own way.  Carrick + Scheini is too old/slow and Rooney's a passenger (I can enjoy it because Liverpool carried Gerrard for so long).

But Martial, Depay, Herrera and Mata is quality front four if you have Schneiderlin plus another holding the midfield.  Then Young, Valencia, Lingard, Wilson all provide reasonable depth.  The defense is pretty solid and the keeper is great.  The players are there if LVG would let them play.  You could certainly stand to add a Suarez-type to galvanize the whole thing and raise the overall quality of the attack, but Bale is much more likely.

The problem is that the squad is good enough to compete for the PL but it's a big step behind Barca, Bayern or RM.  And it looks like galacticos don't want to get kicked about by PL defenders or play in kick-and-rush games or live in a rainy country with high taxes.  And I also wonder if some of the galacticos don't fancy playing for a team who isn't a near certainty to win the league every year.

Archived