Football Thread No. WhoCares - Let's keep the conversation going

baxus

Fantastic result and performance by Liverpool. The players have really bought into Klopp's philosophy. There might be some inconsistent results for 'Pool during the remainder of the season due to the high pressing game and the team thin on quality in midfield but everything about Klopp's reign thus far has been positive.

Neymar was fantastic once again, man of the match for me as he so often is for Barca.

Real Madrid were disgusting again, with their blatant kicking towards the end of the game. What a deeply ugly side that is, and so dull despite all those players who were great before they came to Madrid.  I sometimes feel we don't sped enough attention on what a shithouse Real Madrid really is.

Liverpool destroyed City. The score could have been much higher. And we were without Sakho, Sturridge, Henderson, Benteke (only a sub) or Ings, and lost Cou to injury too. C&F were playing like S&S of two years ago. I hope Cou's hamstring isn't too bad.

Great performance throughout the team, although Milner was pretty poor with the ball and Clyne had several missed passes early on. But comfortably the highest and most consistent level of performance since Suarez left.

It's much easier for us to play against City or Chelsea than Palace. Hopefully we can keep building on this and get some more players back.

Looks like he was injured.

Yea, ok then, I guess.

The thing is last year with Carletto this same team defeated barca 3-1.

Yesterday, it was like no one knew what to do. When barca had possession, we didn't press and when real had possession, the players looked out of sorts, as if they didn't know what to do with the ball.

Most of the time in the game, it looked like barca were playing in training, so shitty real played.

The problem is as much Perez as much as Benitez. He has ignored the football side of the fame and just aims to expand the business.

We didn't want Ozil to go, he sold him.

We didn't want Di Maria and Alonso to go, he sold him

Carletto was probably the best thing that could've happened to this squad and Perez sacked him as well.

PS - However much it hurts me to say, I have to admit, this might be Ronaldo's last season at Real.

You live in New Fucking Zealand. How many times have you actually been to Old Trafford?

One suspects the bond felt between people who actually go through their club's turnstiles every week is somewhat stronger than plastics who've never ever been to a game. It's very easy to call a club a business, when you're 11,000 miles away and all you see of the club is what is on the telly.

You're talking absolute horseshit. And your Irish analogy is utter bollocks. When was the last time they qualified for a major tournament? Of course they're going to be excited.

Nah, there are professional team sports all over the planet. I've been through the turnstiles of plenty of Phoenix and Kingz A-League games, as well as Warriors NRL games and Chiefs and Counties Rugby matches. It doesn't matter what the sport, the international triumphs trump the club triumphs every time. NZ being the only country to go home from the 2010 World Cup undefeated beats any club result ever because no matter how they try to spin it a professional sports club is a business first and foremost, whether you're 11,000 miles away or kissing the turf.

And the Irish game wasn't an analogy, it was the game which sparked the conversation. It's the case in point.

Nah, there are professional team sports all over the planet. I've been through the turnstiles of plenty of Phoenix and Kingz A-League games, as well as Warriors NRL games and Chiefs and Counties Rugby matches. It doesn't matter what the sport, the international triumphs trump the club triumphs every time. NZ being the only country to go home from the 2010 World Cup undefeated beats any club result ever because no matter how they try to spin it a professional sports club is a business first and foremost, whether you're 11,000 miles away or kissing the turf.

And the Irish game wasn't an analogy, it was the game which sparked the conversation. It's the case in point.

Lol.

No wonder you cling to international triumphs. Phoenix and Kings A-league games?

As the terraces of elite European clubs would no doubt say, 'Who are you? Who are you? Who are you?'

While I entirely disagree with Davrum on the overall point, I think it's a little unfair to denigrate him for supporting clubs he's a long way away from while simultaneously mocking him for supporting the ones close to.

I'm a plastic. If you're on the other side of the world the rules are a little different.

Also, I've missed all this weekend's football due to other commitments but I feel more attention needs to be given to the fact that fucking Leicester are top of the league.

New Zealand achieving three draws in 2010 beats any club result ever? Really? Sorry Davrum, I can't take you seriously when you spout nonsense like this. Yes, club football is primarily a business these days, particularly at the highest level, but this is a relatively recent development. I think you are severely underestimating the close ties that clubs share with their community and fans. As I said before, club football in general invokes more passion than international football.

If I had a choice between United winning the CL and South Africa qualifying for the WC, I'd choose the former and every football fan I know has a greater affinity for their respective clubs than the national side. Others in this thread have expressed the same sentiment.

Off topic: this new site makes typing posts on my phone a fucking nightmare.

@Spockydog

Be thankful that Premier League doesn't share your view on fans overseas. If it did, the chunk of money clubs get from TV rights would be much smaller and you England-resident lot would soon be back to watching football played by players more like Paul Davis than like Alexis Sanchez.

Okay Polish, okay. That is an incredible achievement for Leicester to be top at this stage of the season and they have got there in some style as well. Gotta love this league. We are going to be in for a tough afternoon against them next weekend. However I predict that Leicester will be out of the top six, or 6th place at best, come the end of January.

to actually bring the 'plastic' thing around to actual conversation...it is actually a pretty big point of contention in the states. you can go out to pubs all over the country and see americans decked out in their madrid, man united, arsenal, barca, liverpool etc....oh, and there was that fella in the norwich shirt yesterday. 

the issue that comes up a lot is that so many of these fans don't support their local club. it is well and great to be a morning pub supporter of chelsea talking shit to some other dude in a man united shirt but where are you later in the afternoon when your local team is actually playing a game you could go to?

certainly in the states the level of play of our mls and other leagues is well below the beautifully televised premiership and the like. yeah, we only get your lampards and gerrards after they are all used up. but, for fuck's sake it is your local game. go out and enjoy it. 

unless you prefer some weekend morning epl cosplay. and in that case you are a plastic fuck.

Archived