Aegon, Varys and the TV Show [Book/Show Spoilers]

WinterRaven

I can't understand this idea that people this buy crap into aegon being a worthy to rule  based on a single paragraph by varys ........whereas grrm spent 5 books developing jon and dany into leaders and shows how ruling is hard and without hard choices ...GrRm who spent a book to show us how a perfect Prince like someone as Aragorn can't rule easily with dany and jon ...doesn't going to produce an perfect prince besides there was other kings who had similar knowledge and learning like YG ( egg .,anyone high born  ) and still failed....whereas jon and dany learning it hard way through experience rather than reading it 

A reason why YG is not in the show....I see people mention only about dany invasion ...but show is going to show us TOJ and dwelve into RLJ coming season and there can't be another secret targ ....

In a book you can spend focus on varys plan and ambitions similar to LF plan and ambitions....but in the end they are not major plots ....which can be left out of a show....

And to those who saying dany taking an YG role.....like it or not GRRm has been building up dany's invasion for five books and considers it as one of the three main phases of westeros ..so with or without YG dany will still have her invasion ...

And to those who is saying D&D wanting to whitewash dany ...they have already made her more harsh and ruthless in the show than in the books ....

one could just have had shown how varys and illyrio planned the whole thing and wanted to use damy as scapegoatand westeros to ruin so they can have their perfect prince can come and save the day ....it would have not taken too much to show that varys is similar to LF ....that in itself would have made enough to fans side with dany ...the funny thing is I see this has been claimed by lot of stannis fans who absolutely don't care for killing of renly for usurping stannis...think what will happen if stannis learns that someone is using a imposter and claim him as a batatheon ...funny right 

Dany is more harsh on the show than has been in the books, so no idea what you are talking about here.

Reading what you have said I agree it makes more sense than Aegon coming into the scene, I would definitely prefer if he made an appearance instead of giving it all to Dany, As for the LSH I think that's a given this season 

I don't mind his omission. or what appears to be likely scenario.  It's a matter of preference, but where did you get this idea of Aegon being son of Rhaegar and Lyanna or am I reading it correctly?

I wouldn't be so sure about another Targ in the story. It might happen. Agree aboiut Aegon in general I don't see him being any more fit to rule that them.

I don't mind his omission. or what appears to be likely scenario.  It's a matter of preference, but where did you get this idea of Aegon being son of Rhaegar and Lyanna or am I reading it correctly?

I wouldn't be so sure about another Targ in the story. It might happen. Agree aboiut Aegon in general I don't see him being any more fit to rule that them.

I Didn't mean that he was the child of Rhaegar and Lyanna hahaha apologies! I ment Rhaegar and Elia haha that's me just noticed what I said

I can't understand this idea that people this buy crap into aegon being a worthy to rule  based on a single paragraph by varys ........whereas grrm spent 5 books developing jon and dany into leaders and shows how ruling is hard and without hard choices ...GrRm who spent a book to show us how a perfect Prince like someone as Aragorn can't rule easily with dany and jon ...doesn't going to produce an perfect prince besides there was other kings who had similar knowledge and learning like YG ( egg .,anyone high born  ) and still failed....whereas jon and dany learning it hard way through experience rather than reading it 

A reason why YG is not in the show....I see people mention only about dany invasion ...but show is going to show us TOJ and dwelve into RLJ coming season and there can't be another secret targ ....

In a book you can spend focus on varys plan and ambitions similar to LF plan and ambitions....but in the end they are not major plots ....which can be left out of a show....

And to those who saying dany taking an YG role.....like it or not GRRm has been building up dany's invasion for five books and considers it as one of the three main phases of westeros ..so with or without YG dany will still have her invasion ...

And to those who is saying D&D wanting to whitewash dany ...they have already made her more harsh and ruthless in the show than in the books ....

one could just have had shown how varys and illyrio planned the whole thing and wanted to use damy as scapegoatand westeros to ruin so they can have their perfect prince can come and save the day ....it would have not taken too much to show that varys is similar to LF ....that in itself would have made enough to fans side with dany ...the funny thing is I see this has been claimed by lot of stannis fans who absolutely don't care for killing of renly for usurping stannis...think what will happen if stannis learns that someone is using a imposter and claim him as a batatheon ...funny right 

totally agree. The last book was basically showing how both Jon and Dany were mirroring each other in their struggles taking on their new roles, and fighting their inner urges. It's clear it's been set up to show them as major characters.

For me, Young griff was placed into the story to buy some time, send out a few red herrings to confuse people over who is a targ etc, and to allow Martin to shove in bits of his history knowledge to add to the story.

That the show can afford to omit F/ Aegon is a huge spoiler as to his worth to the story as far as I'm concerned. Any role he has going forward can clearly be taken on by another charActer or simply left out of the story without it harming the overall arc. If he spends his time invading small unheard of parts of westeros and trying to get some Dorne marriage going then that might in fact be all he does. 

totally agree. The last book was basically showing how both Jon and Dany were mirroring each other in their struggles taking on their new roles, and fighting their inner urges. It's clear it's been set up to show them as major characters.

For me, Young griff was placed into the story to buy some time, send out a few red herrings to confuse people over who is a targ etc, and to allow Martin to shove in bits of his history knowledge to add to the story.

That the show can afford to omit F/ Aegon is a huge spoiler as to his worth to the story as far as I'm concerned. Any role he has going forward can clearly be taken on by another charActer or simply left out of the story without it harming the overall arc. If he spends his time invading small unheard of parts of westeros and trying to get some Dorne marriage going then that might in fact be all he does. 

I agree, while I enjoyed the Aegon parts and reveal in the books it does seem very repetitive having another secret Targ pretender, and the fact that he has not made the shows makes it seem he may be a fake or just not that important.

As to Varys, I think he and Conleth Hill are on the level. This is because he is the counterpoint to LF who is, at least on the shows, the most dangerous, cunning and malevolent force there is, worse than all the Boltons and Joffreys put together, and so I think Varys' motives are pure as he sees the real LF danger better than anyone else, and he could not oppose him effectively if his character was compromised or corrupted slightly. Even then I think LF bests him.

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously, if Aegon does not make it into the series, he was not important in the books. But neither series nor books are written yet. We don't even really know how close we are to the end. Could be four more books yet, the way GRRM tends to expand his stories.

However, the show writers do know what will be in those books, the main plot has been settled, I am quite sure. martin may add details or sub plots and these could be disposable for the show. So again, how much material they leave out would depend on how many series they plan to make. Since it has been quite a success, we could be in the Harry Potter situation, where suddenly we got an extra film. And then another. It is possible we are in a situation already where the writers have been asked to row back on cuts already decided upon.

But in the absence of evidence to the contrary, i incline to the view they had a plan and are sticking to it. What i have read so far about the upcoming series suggests to me that what has happened has been more a rearrangement than significant cuts. I will not kow that until we see the finished results. But at the moment, i see a reorganisation of events to make them more filmable and fit into the ten episodes per series format. So there is every possibility Aegon has merely been shifted to a later date so as to make a more sensible format. It strikes me that several of the alterations we have seen may simply be to get people to the right places so the reorganised running order works out.

So what is the purpose of Aegon? Duh, well we have three dragons. Dragons need riders. Targaryens ride dragons. so we need three Targaryens. QED. Now, I quite agree that Aegon may not be the third man. He could be a red herring. Perfectly possible. In which case he could be ditched entirely. Or his storyline could have been deferred, pending a better idea of how long the story needs to be, based on how popular the show is and whether they want an extra series. But ned stark only made it through one series and maybe we have three left. Plenty of time to make an impact, even if he still does not appear this series.

Varys? master of lies? so he told the truth when he was trying to kill Danny, or told the truth when he was trying to get her on the throne? We take his word for either one? Plenty of time for him to still be harbouring Aegon. And by the way, where did he sneak off to? But as a consumate spymaster, maybe he understands the mechanics of dragon handling rather better than  he lets on. But maybe he tells the truth more often than people might imagine. If he really does have the best interests of Westeros in mind, he could support both Danny and Aegon. it takes more than one person to run a kingdom.

On the whole, I think Aegon IS intended to be a red herring. i think there are three heroes in this story, Jon, Dany and Tyrion. but that still allows for Aegon to have a big role, and certainly his late appearance was intended to cause dramatic confusion, which still applies.

On 2016年1月2日 at 2:47 AM, thehandwipes said:

I think Dany is gonna come out of the fight with Aegon looking quite bad, and that's one of the reasons for ditching that plotline.  D&D don't do moral nuance.

100% this imo

Archived