The Walking Dead S6 (no comic spoilers)

AncalagonTheBlack

33 minutes ago, S John said:

I am wondering if Negan might be more of an idea or a place or even an acronym or something instead of a single person.  

I was thinking the same thing. Though, I've seen where there is an actor to play Neegan. Still, it could still be an idea, a way to live or something like that. 

4 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I was thinking the same thing. Though, I've seen where there is an actor to play Neegan. Still, it could still be an idea, a way to live or something like that. 

It needs him to appear sooner rather than later, a show like this needs a strong villain. There hasn't been a great antagonist since Shane, when he died the whole thing went downhill imo

23 minutes ago, dooog said:

It needs him to appear sooner rather than later, a show like this needs a strong villain. There hasn't been a great antagonist since Shane, when he died the whole thing went downhill imo

Yea, I said they need to get on with it, regarding Neegan. The Governor was a pretty good villian. Huh, I never seen Shane as an antagonist. Just the guy who figured out how the world worked, before everyone else. Made him look like the bad guy, not sure that he was though. 

They're clearly going to drag it out till the finale. I was certain this episode wouldn't move the plot along at all on Negan when I saw they were introducing a new group of Neganites and I was right. 

Something bad might happen between now and then but the seem to be building to some explosive finale and conflict next season. 

6 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

I expect a massive Negan backlash in the next few episodes, though. The 35-0 tally is going to balance out real fast.

Yeah, it kind of feels like a problem that our new big bad guy is off to such an underwhelming start, especially given how scared the Hilltop people were of him.

It also really feels like they are just deliberately dragging out introducing the actual Negan.

It is also worth pointing out that this episode was probably one of the cheapest yet to make, which was kind of predictable given that these cheapskate producers actually had to fork out some cash for the previous full scale assault battle episode.

So it was not surprising to see this episode with a limited cast, taking place entirely inside a rundown building, focusing on melodrama and character exploration, and very little on large scale, expensive outdoor scenes.

While this was a very good episode in my view, the cynical part of me can't help but noticing the bean counters on the production team rubbing their hands in glee at the money they recouped after what was no doubt for them some stomach ulcer inducing expenditure on the previous episode.

3 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

It is also worth pointing out that this episode was probably one of the cheapest yet to make, which was kind of predictable given that these cheapskate producers actually had to fork out some cash for the previous full scale assault battle episode.

So it was not surprising to see this episode with a limited cast, taking place entirely inside a rundown building, focusing on melodrama and character exploration, and very little on large scale, expensive outdoor scenes.

While this was a very good episode in my view, the cynical part of me can't help but noticing the bean counters on the production team rubbing their hands in glee at the money they recouped after what was no doubt for them some stomach ulcer inducing expenditure on the previous episode.

Yes, but imo you can often see the financial strings behind a lot of TV,some just hide it better than others.

TV is and always will be a medium of suggestion , moreso than film.

TWD definitely exploits the bottle episode (Season 2 was the worst) but I think there'd be less problems if it wasn't for their previous badly conceived use of such things.

11 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Yea, I said they need to get on with it, regarding Neegan. The Governor was a pretty good villian. Huh, I never seen Shane as an antagonist. Just the guy who figured out how the world worked, before everyone else. Made him look like the bad guy, not sure that he was though. 

I don't think I'd rewatch this show but it would be interesting to compare Shane's behaviour looks now compared to what his crew do now. It'd probably feel like Rick lost an excellent wingman. I recall them fighting over whether they killed that kid one episode - now they'd be fighting over who shot him first.

50 minutes ago, Castel said:

Yes, but imo you can often see the financial strings behind a lot of TV,some just hide it better than others.

TV is and always will be a medium of suggestion , moreso than film.

TWD definitely exploits the bottle episode (Season 2 was the worst) but I think there'd be less problems if it wasn't for their previous badly conceived use of such things.

A well executed cheap episode can be a good thing. You just need the writers and actors to carry it. There's too many hollywood films that think big explosions and SFX overcome plot (Trnasformers, MCU etc)

4 hours ago, red snow said:

I don't think I'd rewatch this show but it would be interesting to compare Shane's behaviour looks now compared to what his crew do now. It'd probably feel like Rick lost an excellent wingman. I recall them fighting over whether they killed that kid one episode - now they'd be fighting over who shot him first.

A well executed cheap episode can be a good thing. You just need the writers and actors to carry it. There's too many hollywood films that think big explosions and SFX overcome plot (Trnasformers, MCU etc)

Yeah, as I said, a lot of shows have episodes that aren't that big. Hell, a lot of shows really just maintain a certain level of consistency because almost nothing is big.

If TWD had maintained this sort of quality for all its alleged "filler" episodes that complaint would be far less healthy. 

As for Shane: he had a point. The problem was that Shane was just kinda unstable. Rick wouldn't kill say...Glenn, even now cause he wanted to fuck Maggie (well...partly). 

The way they wrote him he had to go. Without that he could have been the anti-Dale for the longest time.

31 minutes ago, Castel said:

Yeah, as I said, a lot of shows have episodes that aren't that big. Hell, a lot of shows really just maintain a certain level of consistency because almost nothing is big.

If TWD had maintained this sort of quality for all its alleged "filler" episodes that complaint would be far less healthy. 

As for Shane: he had a point. The problem was that Shane was just kinda unstable. Rick wouldn't kill say...Glenn, even now cause he wanted to fuck Maggie (well...partly). 

The way they wrote him he had to go. Without that he could have been the anti-Dale for the longest time.

Rick's edging there what with him killing the husband of a woman he wanted to have sex with last season.

I agree with the pacing being a bigger problem than the funding at this stage.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Rick's edging there what with him killing the husband of a woman he wanted to have sex with last season.

I don't really agree, cause he didn't kill that guy so he could be with his wife. In fact it wasn't even his decision was it? Didn't Diana tell him to do it?

I don't get the shock at them burning the "scouts" in that room. Two people have just escaped capture where they were going to be executed. They've succeeded in killing their captors, effectively ensuring no witnesses can follow them back to threaten Alexandria.

Now an unknown group in terms of weapons, numbers, and intent have arrived. Locking them all in a room to kill them all at once is a brilliant move. Yes, sickening, but necessary.

Again, we're talking post-apocalypse morality here. It's kill or be killed. There are no police or military or other law enforcement alternatives. Yet.

7 hours ago, red snow said:

I agree with the pacing being a bigger problem than the funding at this stage.

Rick could have killed that guy much earlier, considering that Carol was  egging him on to do it (she clearly set him up to die).  And yet, he was alive until he killed someone.

If you want a more "Shane' move it's his admission that he was considering killing Alexandrians to force them to face the reality of the apocalypse (down to literally using the same speech as Shane -"things don't get better, you have to fight"), or basically implicitly threatening Jesus's group.

3 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I don't get the shock at them burning the "scouts" in that room. Two people have just escaped capture where they were going to be executed. They've succeeded in killing their captors, effectively ensuring no witnesses can follow them back to threaten Alexandria.

Now an unknown group in terms of weapons, numbers, and intent have arrived. Locking them all in a room to kill them all at once is a brilliant move. Yes, sickening, but necessary.

Again, we're talking post-apocalypse morality here. It's kill or be killed. There are no police or military or other law enforcement alternatives. Yet.

Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is with that part.  Particularly given that we've seen them also throw people to the zombies already.

The part that ruined this episode for me was the fact that the neagan chick with the radio DIDN"T FRIGGIN WARN THE SCOUTS.

i mean, she acknowledges that the gang is probably outside waiting to kill them, and literally immediately adfter talks to the scouts on the radio, AND DOESN"T EVEN MENTION IT.

So they basically just waltz in there like they are coming for tea? 

Archived