What will Aerys do if he is not a mad man?

purple-eyes

Let us say Aerys is not a mad guy. He is a reasonable ruler.

Brandon came and called justice for Rhaegar and Lyanna stuff. Maybe Robert too.

So he would still imprison them because it is still a treason. But he will try to find Rhaegar and investigate the situation.

Then he would be summoned back to KL and he confessed that he loved Lyanna and she him.

Then what will happen? Will Aerys ask Rhaegar to give Lyanna back to house stark? This sounds reasonable.

But Rhaegar would surely refuse, then he would be punished, I guess.

Maybe he would be forced to choose between crown and Lyanna like Dunk? or he will be exiled like Daemon and Maegor?

He would likely still choose Lyanna, so he forsaked his crown. This would disqualify his whole line. So Crown will be passed to Viserys.

Then he went to exile with Lyanna. Elia probably chose to go back to Dorne with children.

Any thoughts?

If I was Aerys, I would have banished Rhaegar to The Wall as punishment for his actions. Someone who is willing to act that reckless is not fit to inherit The Iron Throne, and he came very close to starting a war. Hopefully Ageon will be better. 

Brandon didn't know any better, so I send him back to Winterfell with a slap on the wrist and a firm warning. 

If I was Aerys, I would have banished Rhaegar to The Wall as punishment for his actions. Someone who is willing to act that reckless is not fit to inherit The Iron Throne, and he came very close to starting a war. Hopefully Ageon will be better. 

Brandon didn't know any better, so I send him back to Winterfell with a slap on the wrist and a firm warning. 

rhaegar and mance can play music. 

But targ seems like to send their black sheep to free cities, Maegor, daemon, aegon IV, aerion, etc. 

rhaegar and mance can play music. 

But targ seems like to send their black sheep to free cities, Maegor, daemon, aegon IV, aerion, etc. 

*cough Blackfyre Pretenders cough cough*

But seriously, sending my dear son to The Wall ensures he can't try to reclaim his throne by force. 

Rhaegar would proclaim his affection. Lyanna would as well. Rhaegar might tell his father that he believes the PTWP will be of his and Lyanna's union and since Aerys wed his sister to fulfill this prophesy he may be pliable to go with Rhaegar on that. 

Despite what other posters believe, I assert that the royal family can do whatever it wants and if Lyanna tells her fam that she wants it there isn't much the North and Robert can do. Dorne, the Reach, the Westerlands, the Riverlands and the Vale have no reason to rebel if all Aerys and Rhaegar did is get a second wife for the Crown Prince. The reason that the rebellion gained motion in the first place is because Aerys was nuts and mistreated people. 

It's implied that Rhaegar had kept Elia in the loop so don't try the "but Dorne will be pissed" route. They seemed pretty pro-Targ at the time of the rebellion and since Elia is still the Prince's wife they can't complain. 

Rhaegar would proclaim his affection. Lyanna would as well. Rhaegar might tell his father that he believes the PTWP will be of his and Lyanna's union and since Aerys wed his sister to fulfill this prophesy he may be pliable to go with Rhaegar on that. 

Despite what other posters believe, I assert that the royal family can do whatever it wants and if Lyanna tells her fam that she wants it there isn't much the North and Robert can do. Dorne, the Reach, the Westerlands, the Riverlands and the Vale have no reason to rebel if all Aerys and Rhaegar did is get a second wife for the Crown Prince. The reason that the rebellion gained motion in the first place is because Aerys was nuts and mistreated people. 

It's implied that Rhaegar had kept Elia in the loop so don't try the "but Dorne will be pissed" route. They seemed pretty pro-Targ at the time of the rebellion and since Elia is still the Prince's wife they can't complain. 

disagree. Rhaegar stole a lp's fiancée and another lp's daughter (no matter lyanna willing or not) and commit polygamy, rhaegar would have to pay a high price for this. He will certainly be disowned and exiled. Like dunk. 

You painted it as if he is aegon the conqueror. 

If he were aegon, you are right. No big deal, no complaint. 

Rhaegar? He needed to give up crown, went to exile, and Robert may still rebel. 

Just like Robert should have been sent to The Wall for bedding with Delena Florent, an event that further alienated his wife and brother, and thus, indirectly lead to war, right?

Just like Robert should have been sent to The Wall for bedding with Delena Florent, an event that further alienated his wife and brother, and thus, indirectly lead to war, right?

if Robert is a prince, his wife is daughter of tywin, delena is daughter of doran and betrothed of  robb stark. So yes, Robert will be exiled too. 

No war is needed here. 

Neither maegor nor daemon were exiled due to war. They just badly offended people. 

Rhaegar needed to be banished, but his children rights stay intact. Offending 3 houses in 1 stroke is nothing but a real dumb move. And if someone were smart they'd get the truth out of him that it was a planned and consented event rather than kidnapping

Robert didn't take Delena Florent to a secluded tower in the wilderness for almost a year with everyone thinking she was dead. Nor was Delena engaged to a Lord Paramount, nor was she the daughter of a Lord Paramount. Plus the Florents are not exactly on the same influence level as the Starks.

Let us say Aerys is not a mad guy. He is a reasonable ruler.

Brandon came and called justice for Rhaegar and Lyanna stuff. Maybe Robert too.

So he would still imprison them because it is still a treason. But he will try to find Rhaegar and investigate the situation.

Then he would be summoned back to KL and he confessed that he loved Lyanna and she him.

Then what will happen? Will Aerys ask Rhaegar to give Lyanna back to house stark? This sounds reasonable.

But Rhaegar would surely refuse, then he would be punished, I guess.

Maybe he would be forced to choose between crown and Lyanna like Dunk? or he will be exiled like Daemon and Maegor?

He would likely still choose Lyanna, so he forsaked his crown. This would disqualify his whole line. So Crown will be passed to Viserys.

Then he went to exile with Lyanna. Elia probably chose to go back to Dorne with children.

Any thoughts?

Those are reasonable choices for Aerys.  Irresponsible ones for Rhaegar. 

Brandon must die.  You cannot allow Brandon and his thugs to ride into town like that and threaten to kill Prince Rhaegar.   King Aerys sending for Rhaegar and Lyanna make sense.  Disinheriting Rhaegar makes perfectly good sense as well if he refuses to give Lyanna back.  Still send for Rickard to come in person, have him kneel in front of the throne, and swear his fealty again. 

At the very least, Aerys has to disinherit Rhaegar. Then Rickard would tell Lyanna that she can't marry a poor street musician, but Lyanna being the rebel that she is makes the Nicholas Sparks Choice™ and decides to stay with the handsome bum instead of the rich douche.

Say Robert accepts it was Lyanna's choice and refrains from blaming Rhaegar and the Targs (difficult to believe, but maybe one or two whores would make him forget Lyanna for a bit).

Even so, Aerys still has to appease Dorne. He could go about it in one of two ways: he either names baby Aegon his heir and Elia as a future Queen Regent OR he names Viserys his heir and marries him to Arianne to compensate the Martells and make sure they still get a consort. 

Robert didn't take Delena Florent to a secluded tower in the wilderness for almost a year with everyone thinking she was dead. Nor was Delena engaged to a Lord Paramount, nor was she the daughter of a Lord Paramount. Plus the Florents are not exactly on the same influence level as the Starks.

Not relevant at all. Your reasons for sending Rhaegar to the wall are that he was supposedly"reckless" and "came very close to starting a war". Well, the same the same could be said of Robert, in the event that I brought up (among others). So, I guess Robert deserves The Wall too.

Not relevant at all. Your reasons for sending Rhaegar to the wall are that he was supposedly"reckless" and "came very close to starting a war". Well, the same the same could be said of Robert, in the event that I brought up (among others). So, I guess Robert deserves The Wall too.

There's no way in hell anyone would have declared war over Delena, so it's not the same thing. 

Archived