LEFTOVERS .. 2% of threads disappear (SPOILERS)

Howdyphillip

The cavewoman thing is kind of thematic but with a little bit of literal resonance that comes into play later on in the season. The goat sacrifice is mostly just Old Testament style religion making something of a return in Jarden. Again, there's something more literal going on there, but that doesn't get brought up until later in the season. This is a show where you really have to both accept and embrace the mystery, so maybe it's just not for you.

Okay, didn't know where else to ask this.

I watched the first ep of Leftovers based on the excitement I'd heard here - and it was not particularly interesting. The cavewoman thing, the random death of a goat...it just didn't grab me. Does it get better at all? 

The first episode was probably the most out of context and each subsequent episode was stronger.  I think you should give it a few more tries before you abandon the season.  Mrs Ix did not care for the first episode but really enjoyed the progression of the story.  Me?  I liked it and really loved it after the second and third offering.  YMMV, but I think you should go further.

This season started off with much ambiguity but as episodes progressed clarified the more mystical themes of the series.  There is a payoff if you stick with it.

I wouldn't even watch Season 2 without watching Season 1. I never understand when people suggest this might be okay, especially not outside of a completely episodic show. This is a long-form narrative. Starting with Season 2 is like starting on Chapter 10 of a book, or with a sequel.

How can you really understand and appreciate Matt if you haven't seen "Two Boats and a Helicopter" ? Or Nora without "Guest" ? And you don't understand the Garveys now if you haven't already seen them at their best. 

Okay, I know what happened in season 1. I don't know how that has anything to do with old cavewomen or goat killing in restaurants or people randomly running naked in the woods to help HBO's quota of nudity. Was there a lot of cavewomen in the first season that was missed by this recap? 

There are specific reasons for a lot of the things that happen early on season 2, *most* of them are usually brought up again. From your posts I gather you have seen season 1? If so, then I'd certainly recommend staying with the show.

If you haven't seen season 1, then you should go back and watch it. A lot of the character beats are lost/ don't make sense if you haven't seen the first season. Personally, I could never do it. Edit: Yeap, Nestor beat me to it. 

Okay, I know what happened in season 1. I don't know how that has anything to do with old cavewomen or goat killing in restaurants or people randomly running naked in the woods to help HBO's quota of nudity. Was there a lot of cavewomen in the first season that was missed by this recap? 

Damn it, I did not pay attention to where you were in the show... My advice? Keep watching and everything will be explained. 

SPOILERS FOR SEASON 2... Do not read until you finish the season...

All of these scenes were worked perfectly and brilliantly into the narrative of the show. The earthquake in particular was shown to be a brilliant addition. The entire show is about the exploration on the themes of science vs. faith. Every single thing that has happened on the show besides the departure can be explained with both a scientific method, or equally as valid with a spiritual ideation.

Jarden is obviously on some sort of a fault line. To the cave woman, this occurrence was just as unexplainable as the event that took 2% of the population is to the people living now, and probably had a very similar effect on her.  The show revisited the earthquake three more times in modern times. All four times this happened, it was followed up with a series of benevolent circumstances that can be described as miraculous. The first time, a human came and found the infant. The second time, Kevin had just jumped into the river with a cinder block tied to him and was drowning when the earthquake hit and drained the water. The final two were in the last episode. The third happened and Mary came out of her catatonic state, and when the final earthquake hit, Kevin, who had been shot in the gut and should have died walked into a house where every single person he loved was waiting for him despite extraordinary circumstances that should have kept them all apart.

The goat killing was perfectly explained in the story, and doesn't really even need to be mentioned, but I will do so anyways. On the day of the disappearance, for reasons either religious or out of malice, a guy sacrificed a goat in front of people. The continuation of this is because some people in Jarden believe recreating the events of that day keeps them safe. Another example of this happening is the woman who always wears her wedding dress which is also brilliant symbology as it also represents the populations faith and dedication to a divine being. To a lesser degree, Matt was also using the theme of recreating events of the day when something good happened by following a strict procedure to try and mimic the events that transpired the day Mary first awoke from her state.

Now, you mention the nudity of the girls being only an excuse for HBO to show their normal quota, and I have to disagree here with that as well. All the way until the end of episode nine, everyone scratched their heads at this scene, but upon the revelation that these three girls had joined the Guilty Remnant, it makes perfect thematic sense. They were tossing aside the things that kept them tied to the world around them, and in doing so, they expressed this idea in a physical manner. I can not personally think of a better use of nudity in an HBO show. It left the audience confused for almost the entirety of the season and then became specifically poignant on reflection.

Overall, this show was tied together as perfect as any season of television I have ever watched. It was consistent throughout, and delivered some of the most thought provoking and emotional experiences ever shown on television. I have always been a huge Lidelhof fan, but this was an absolute masterpiece.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching this, I really loved both seasons and am glad we're getting a third. The show kinda reminds me of John From Cincinnati in it's weirdness and the way you can try to piece together what is going on but you're not ever going to have it explained. 

One thing I'm wondering about, Virgil said he'd cured they guy on the tower, but presumably he didn't feel the need to shoot himself in the head for that one? Or are we to believe that had Virgil not drank the water at the afterlife hotel he would have made it back with Kevin and shrugged off the massive head wound sorta like how Kevin survived his gut shot? 

I'm also pleased Lindelof decided it would be the final season as well. Go out on top.

I really doubt that was his call. More likely they offered him one more season with the understanding it would be the last because nobody is watching. I will be disappointed but not surprised if it ends up being a shortened season like they did for Boardwalk Empire and Treme's final seasons. 

According to HBO it was Lindelof's decision for season 3 being the final season. http://www.thewrap.com/the-leftovers-renewed-for-season-3-on-hbo/

Yeah, I still don't really believe that. I mean how else are they gonna spin it? Especially as Lindelof said in interviews that he was "fighting for the life of the show" before it was renewed.

As I recall they said something similar with Boardwalk Empire but it was blatantly obvious it wasn't Terrance Winter's plan to end that show with

(not really spoilers for Boardwalk Empire, but if you want to know nothing about the structure of the show don't click)

a nine year time jump and an abbreviated final season.

In fairness, most people I know felt like Boardwalk just wasn't as good in the last two seasons, so ratings dropped. Has The Leftovers ever had high ratings for more than a couple of shows?

I am glad we are getting another season, hopefully some things get wrapped up. This is one series where I don't want all the mysteries solved but I would want some.

• 1 month later...

I want to nominate this for a Hugo.  The series is eligible for long form, individually the episodes are eligible for short form.  With series I always have a really hard time selecting a single episode as "the best one".  This season Ep. 8 really stood out.

I just finished watching and am having terrible post-series letdown.

Carrie Coon also won the Critics Choice Award for supporting actress.  The ratings may not be the highest, but I think HBO has no issue with keeping the show around since it's critically adored.  I bet they cut off shows early they wish they could've let stick around in the past.

• 2 months later...

I come bearing some season 3 news, y'all!  

Haven't seen a premier date, unfortunately, but there's going to be yet another big change of scenery.  This time the gang will be leaving Jarden for AUSTRALIA.  The regular cast is returning, along with the Murphy faimly.  Kevin's father is also being bumped up to series regular.  

Archived